PDA

View Full Version : ID request: 3 spotted on the wild reef.

horge
04/29/2000, 03:16 AM
Sorry, no pics.

First, a worm about a metre in length, translucent olivish-tan, with a fairly consistent diameter of about 3.5 cm. The cross sectional hex-symmetry was defined by longitudinal rows of closely- and evenly-spaced completely-globular protruberances, each about 1 cm in diameter and the same color and translucence as the body. The mouth was ringed by 24 pinnate tentacles each about 5 or so cm in leagth. I could not escry the tail-end's shape.

Second, a plankter of some sort. Apparently flat and oval in shape, about 8-10mm in length. The body was almost abosolutely clear, but possessed an apparent dichroism, as the appropriate angle with respect to light apparently produced an electric blue. (Indeed, I first thought they were just tiny scraps of bright light-blue plastic bag). When they sensed any attempt at capture, they shuffled and disappeared (with the change in lighting angle?). When they were in motion, I could almost swear I could see some kind of segmentation, and perhaps bordering cilia. They ruined many photos taken with flash.

Third, (at some considerable distance from the reef proper) a large (up to .5 metre diameter), opaque-white, tough surface membrane protecting an underlayer of seemingly fibrous material, floating just under the water's surface. Sort of like a thick plane curved into a dome-like shape with two large apertures out the sides. The rim of the dome was ringed with an even harder opaque white material with light blue markings (some specimens exhibited light pink). On closer inspection, some of these markings resembled words like 'Kimbies' or 'Huggies' or 'Pampers'. All such specimens (11 in number) removed for drying and burning onshore. I am presently taking antibiotics and seeking counselling.

Any and all I.D. help appreciated.

horge

Minotaur15
04/29/2000, 07:07 AM
horge,

The first one sorta sounds like a Medusa worm.

------------------
Dan - minotaur15@hotmail.com
http://www.einsweb.com/minotaur15/

rshimek
04/29/2000, 10:10 AM
Hi,

Horge, number one sounds like a synaptid cuke, some that I have seen in Palau were about 2 m long but otherwise matched your description.

Number 2, iffy, but my guess is a cestid ctenophore.

Cheers, Ron

horge
04/29/2000, 05:11 PM
Thanks loads, guys.

horge