PDA

View Full Version : New cycle when transfering sand?

nam2212
09/28/2005, 03:08 PM
I am about to transfer the contents of my nanocube to an AGA 10G. Is there any kind of procedure I should go through for this? I am transfering 10lbs sand and about 10lbs rock. The nanocube has been running for about 6 months. Should I be worried about the sandbed that is being transferred causing a new cycle? I have never done this and was wondering if anyone else has. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nick

Rendos
09/29/2005, 06:49 PM
If you disturb your sandbed, you are bound to kick up some debris that could cause a short cycle. I would just keep an eye on the new tank for ammonia, and nitrite for the first week or two. Maybe do some small water changes to keep everything in check.

nam2212
09/29/2005, 06:56 PM
Could I put a small HOB power filter on the back to catch a lot of the detritus? It is one of those that has the little pre-packaged filter that looks like filter floss with carbon inside. I think I could run that and then take it off when the water clears up. Any thoughts? I have a flower anemone on one of the rocks that is being transferred. That is the only thing I am worried about. I know all the zoas and shrooms will be fine.

fishdoc11
09/30/2005, 08:43 PM
If you keep the sandbed thouroughly vacumed I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't I would replace the sand and only reuse the top layer if any. Moving a sandbed is not a good idea IMO.
Chris

nam2212
09/30/2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I am planning on making the transfer this weekend. I am going to put a HOB filter with a new media bag in it and also try to vacuum out as much detritus as possible. If all else fails and I do detect ammonia, I will just transfer the livestock to my main tank for a few days.

Nick

willember
09/30/2005, 11:04 PM
I have reused sand, but tried very hard not to take sand below 1 inch. I figured no bad stuff is in the top inch of sand. seemed to work ok, but only had that tank fot a few months so I can not say for sure.