PDA

View Full Version : CBB and Tridacnids

MiNdErAsR
02/28/2002, 10:37 PM
Are Copperband Butterflys (Chelmon rostratus) safe around Tridacnid clams? Any experiences positive or negative would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

JohnL
03/01/2002, 06:00 PM
Jim, I asked Bill last night and he thinks they will be ok.

It would be nice to hear from some others about their experiences.

hcs3
03/01/2002, 10:39 PM
no personal experince, jim.

since it is recommended to offer these fish clams on the half shell when acclimating, i'd say it is doubtful the 2 will co-exist long term.

HTH

henry

Gary Majchrzak
03/02/2002, 02:08 AM
My copperband and T.squamosa have been happy to share one another's company for close to 2 years now.I have a feeling everything is gonna be O.K. MiNdErAsR! Chelmon really prefer spaghetti{worms} to clam chowder! :D

BRW
03/02/2002, 03:39 PM
One year plus with a CBB and 2 T. derasa together with no apparent problems. But then again I have 2 Coral Beauties and a Flame in the same tank with no problems which most people say is highly improbable. CBBs are so docile and tame that I would go for it. Should be very easy to catch if you need to remove it. JME.

MiNdErAsR
03/03/2002, 03:27 PM
Well...15 hours in the tank and the CBB is busy hiding. :rolleyes: Plenty of aiptasia, spaghetti worms, and tiny tube worms to feed on. My hope is that he'll like the aiptasia best, but with my luck it'll be everything else.

Thanks for responding guys.

Gary Majchrzak
03/03/2002, 04:28 PM
Keep us posted, please, Jim. Did any established fish take a disliking to the butterfly? Be prepared to add mysid or brineshrimp if he gets on a hunger strike.I realize these foods will be eaten by your aiptasia, but you will be fattening them up for Easter dinner.

Wolverine
03/03/2002, 04:54 PM
I don't have personal experience with this either, but I've heard of it going either way. If anything I would think you're more likely to get into trouble after the aiptasia's gone; that's when you might want to start looking for it.

And, while it seems a little iffy to me, I know some people will put in small dottybacks to defend clams against larger fishes. I don't know how you get the dottyback to decide that's his territory, but some people have told me it's worked to great success. Of course, I wouldn't do this unless it becomes a problem.

Dave

MiNdErAsR
03/03/2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
Did any established fish take a disliking to the butterfly?

The other fish are a pair of Gobiosoma okinawae, a pair of Cirrhilabrus scottorum, Salarius fasciatus, and a small blue damsel. The CBB is by far the biggest fish in the tank. No hostilities shown in the least.

OJsreef
03/03/2002, 11:39 PM
Here ya go check out "On the half shell" go to "fish bullies in clam tank" and read "The Little Monster".

OJsreef
03/03/2002, 11:42 PM
That's one %*$@#@ up fish!

Wolverine
03/04/2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by MiNdErAsR

The other fish are a pair of Gobiosoma okinawae, a pair of Cirrhilabrus scottorum, Salarius fasciatus, and a small blue damsel. The CBB is by far the biggest fish in the tank. No hostilities shown in the least.

As an aside, MiNdErAsR gets a gold star for his use of scientific names rather than common.

Dave

OJsreef
03/04/2002, 06:20 PM
WOW you got a gold star.
What's that all about?:rolleye1: :D

MiNdErAsR
03/05/2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by OJsreef
Here ya go check out "On the half shell" go to "fish bullies in clam tank" and read "The Little Monster".

How about a link?

:smokin:

OJsreef
03/06/2002, 09:24 PM
Sorry I thought that since you are a Mod. and keep clams you would have known about these articals. Not sure if this'll work but try this HERE (http://www.aquariumfrontiers.net/On_The_Half_Shell.html)

Gary Majchrzak
03/07/2002, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the link OJsreef. MiNdErAsR, how is the butterfly and the clam doing? I know that injured clams attract attention from almost ALL fish. I do monitor my T. squamosa closely. Guess I won't chance feeding frozen clam meat either! I don't want to promote a taste for clambakes ! I have many fish, and I must admit they rarely acknowledge the presence of my LARGE squamosa.

MiNdErAsR
03/07/2002, 01:34 PM
OJsreef,
I didn't realize that (as a mod) I had to keep track of every AF article released. Just thought since you had found some relevant info you might also include the link. Thanks for the link BTW.

Gary,
So far so good. Aiptasia are getting difficult to find in my system, and (knocking on wood) all clams appear to be fine. However, this particular fish will only eat freshly smashed little neck clams and/or mussels, so I have to admit I'm a bit nervous. That and the fact I just added a new clam yesterday, but apparently the fish is unconcerned with it so far. I may have to trap this guy and send him on his way, to the next reefkeeper's aiptasia farm. :)

Gary Majchrzak
03/07/2002, 02:02 PM
My copperband has been maintained {after aiptasia eradication} with a diet of frozen hufa enriched brine shrimp,mysid shrimp,small vibragro pellets, and whatever other little tasty live morsels he can catch scurrying around- especially after the actinics go off and the ambiant room lighting provides illumination.