PDA

View Full Version : Pixel question - Camera experts please help ASAP!

Angel*Fish
03/01/2002, 10:10 AM
My husband just a bought a camera that only has 2.1 pixels...he has 2 weeks to take it back if need be..Neither of us is really informed about this stuff...

It is a Sony MVC-CD1000 - really nice camera got it for $699, which I understand is a good deal.

I had told him that for my purposes, kids & fish photos, my choice would be the Canon G2 with its 4 pixels.

.Question -- he was told that for putting photos on the internet, a photo would never use more pixels than what this camera comes with and for internet purposes the 4 pixels is overkill. Is that correct? He is also putting movies his website (realestate)

Thanks - any prompt responses would be appreciated so the thing can be returned if need be

clutchcargo
03/01/2002, 10:28 AM
That's the one that burns the file directly on a mini CD, right?
699 is not just a good deal, it's an excellant deal.
For most purposes you would never put more than a 640x480image on a website, which is about +/- 0.3 megapixel.
The newest camera's are up over 5 megapixels and offer an outstanding image which is nearing film quality right from your home printer.
hth
c

gregr
03/01/2002, 10:55 AM
i agree- for internet viewing that is plenty. megapixels become an issue when prints are the final goal. with your camera you will be able to make excellent 5x7's and possibly even 8x10's although that may be pushing it.
hope this helps,
greg

MrSandman
03/01/2002, 11:32 AM
Nice camera! I have to agree w/ the concensus and say that 4 MP is definitely overkill when posting photos on the internet. Because of the filesize of those photos, it would take a ridiculous amount of time for the average dial-up user to view them. The one good thing about any high megapixel camera though is that when you are digitally editing the photo, you can zoom in and crop the photos without losing image quality (to a point of course). I have a sony camera. They are really nice and i even use one for work. FYI, the DSC-S75 is on sale at buy.com for under 600 bucks and that's a 3.3MP camera!

Angel*Fish
03/01/2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks -- I feel a lot better as I doubt that we will printing very many.
It does use a little cd which is kind of nice -- I just took the camera on my daughter's field trip to the LFS and took tons of pictures - I'm not sure how many it would have taken, because I ran out of battery - but I must have taken at least 40-50 (battery was already low) I really like the way it feels like a regular camera - and all I had to do was keep pushing the button -

I still don't understand the megapixel stuff - but I know you guys do and you wouldn't steer me wrong (and you're not trying to sell me a camera :D )

Thanks again - took lots of fish pictures will post some when I figure out how to load them up :rolleyes: