PDA

View Full Version : JBJ Aquarium nano's

tom obrecht
09/27/2005, 03:39 PM
Anyone using JBJ nano tanks? I'm wondering if these "complete setups" are worthy or just junk? Just curious.:confused:

lil_fishey
09/27/2005, 03:57 PM
ive heard good things about them but the 24 has cracking issues

Brian5280
09/27/2005, 06:03 PM
I have a 12 gallon. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you are not into keeping high light or high maintenance animals.

reefwick
09/27/2005, 07:14 PM
Not junk at all. The 24 gallon has cracking issues like lil_fishey says but the 12 gallon is awesome. Great little tanks for amazing softy corals.

taino64
09/27/2005, 09:58 PM
I have a 24 nano cube for 8 months, not a problem yet.

Blu50Stang
09/28/2005, 12:30 AM
My gf and I both have modded 12g nano cubes. We like 'em.

tom obrecht
09/28/2005, 09:59 AM
Is the filtration up to the job? I'm always wary about items like this with "everything you need". I realize it's only 12 gallons, but with that little of water, I don't want to take a chance with livestock if it isn't up to snuff.

Brian5280
09/28/2005, 10:37 AM
Don't use the sponges it comes with.
Don't use the bio balls.
Block off the lower half of the intake so it will skim the crud off the top of the water.
Put filter floss in the back and change it weekly.
Put 15-20 pounds of live rock in it.
Do 10-15% water changes weekly.
Put hardy soft or LPS corals in it and one or two very small fish in it.

If you want to keep anything that needs high flow or high light, then you will have to mod the crap out of it.

ReefWreak
09/28/2005, 10:38 PM
Filtration is great.

I took out 2 of the 3 sponges, only used the first sponge, and rinsed it out with hot and cold tapwater once a week, no nitrate problems.

Brian 5280's got the right idea.
I don't know about his suggestion of LR, whether it's for the 12g or the 24g, but I'm running the 24 with about 20lb of LR in it. Just have like 5 big rocks in mine. Wish I had smaller, but I bought the tank established from a guy.

For the record, this guy ran the tank for 6 months before my purchasing of it with 9, yes NINE, fish, including a yellow tang.

The nitrates were only between 10-20ppm at all times, with a gigantic ball of razor caulerpa in the front of it. Since then, I've traded in 4 of the fish for store credit and started putting in some softies, and the tank is running great!

You can always mod the tank, and there is enough support in the online communities to find help on any and all mods you'll ever try.

On the subjec of cracking, I've only recently noticed 2 or 3 deep scratches in it, which have not started cracking, and I've had the tank for a month now, so I'm getting over the worrying stage. Just buy from a local fishstore, and put it on your Amex. AmEx has the best policies for warranty extension and purchase protection :D

Good Luck!!