PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Brockport

Gary Majchrzak
02/28/2002, 02:31 PM
Ok,Ok, so I live in Spencerport and Brockport is a 6 mile straight shot down Route 31.I couldn't resist!I just don't get around like I used to.RC Steele is new and improved.Yeah- right! Prices went up accordingly.drtango,if you go to MO give me a ring.We are 5 minutes apart.If anyone is interested in a spring trip to Tropicorium in Detroit,lemme know. I'd like to go before Todd leaves town so he has the chance to accompany us if He'd like to go.....

kmagyar
03/01/2002, 12:03 AM
I'm in for detroit. I have always wanted to go there. But you guys have a habit of fogetting to ask me when you make a road trip. I hope you will remember me for that trip. You know have a bit more room now for some hrd to get acros. Another place to look into might be thesea.org. Apparently that guy has a decent setup near pittsburgh. Might be worth looking into.

Gary Majchrzak
03/01/2002, 12:43 AM
I've done day trips to both Pittsburgh {Zoo} and Detroit{Tropicorium}.Each is aprox. 5 hours driving distance from Rochester{one way}. The Pittsburgh Zoo trip was specifically made to see their reef tank set-up. They have a dedicated greenhouse to grow algae on rows of scrubbers,supplemented with MH lighting {for dreary days.} I have a pic of the greenhouse in my photo album.The BIG reef tank wasn't even worth photographing! If only I'd known Playfair back then- ! thesea.org MUST be a better destination to see reef corals growing in Pittsburgh. Tropicorium,for those that don't know, is NOT just another saltwater shop.They specialize in SPS frags grown in shallow 'vats' inside a greenhouse. Many of the SPS corals that I have shared with society members were originally purchased there for $15 a specimen.{Prices may have increased since then} Tropicorium's website doesn't do it justice- and it's the only place I've ever seen a school of Moorish Idols swimming together in a 1000 gallon vat. It is GUARANTEED to stoke your reef interest. It is usually VERY hot and humid inside the place, so I NEVER go in the summer. Autumn or springtime is best. And ,in case you haven't looked away from your reef aquarium recently,spring is right around the corner. :D

ReeferMac
03/04/2002, 08:13 PM
I thought Ron's SW Heaven was worth the drive (what'dit take us Dave, 4 hours?). He had some nice stuff in his tank, the HUGE show tank was fun for a half hour or so... The Acro tank was real 'perty, and he let you have frags for 10 bucks! I'm pretty well broke these days, but would sell something to get 50 bucks together for that trip. Hehe, could prolly make it in 3 hours in my car too ;-) I don't know if I'd want to make it the extra mile's to get to Bytor's tho (not that I don't like the guy). Without spending the night somewhere's, that's a hell of a hike. That's a thought too tho... Roadtrip down to Bytor's, spend the night in cheap motel, and hit Ron's on the way home. Might cost you 100-150 bucks, but that's about the same as a package from Atlantis Aquatics, before shipping.

- Mac