PDA

View Full Version : 12gal. DX refugium..?

fishman805
09/24/2005, 09:01 AM
Before I go to drilling holes in the back of my "now running" 12gal Nano Cube and totally perplexing my wife as to why I have to mess with something that seems to be working, is there anyone out there who has already set up a fuge for their 12gal DX's..??

What gave me the idea to add one in the first place is that I've got a 2 1/2 tank sitting around doing nothing but taking up space and that's when it hit me: "Gee I could use this for the nano as a refugium".... I've already got a plan in my head on how I'll plumb it but I'd like to hear and see what others have done or would suggest doing.... My NC has only been running for about a month ( that's another thread ) and I thought that before I really start adding stuff, that this would be a good time to do it....

Let me know what ya'll think or know...

Thanks
Bob

fishman805
09/24/2005, 02:06 PM
Anyone...???

Bob

fishman805
09/25/2005, 10:00 AM
Is there no one who has even considered this..????

Bob

BLKTANG
09/25/2005, 10:02 AM
Perhaps you can do it without drilling your 12g,just use a powerhead as return,i think it sounds like a great idea.

ChrisMan123
09/25/2005, 08:55 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea for the tank that is of no use just sitting around and a good way to get your tank going but I have no experience of plumbing that to work out right...

fishman805
09/26/2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys for the input.... My idea would be to drill a hole in the bottom of chamber one and run plumbing ( through a ball valve ) to the fuge... then after closing the "flow" from chamber one to chamber two, drill another hole for the return "from" the fuge to chamber two also in the bottom so that the water flows up through the LR rubble that's in there now into chamber three which will be pumped back in with the existing MJ1200.... Both of the lines to and from the fuge would have ball valves to adjust the flow to keep levels right in the fuge.... and I think a MJ1200 in the fuge would be right for the return pump.....

I'd just put cheato and more LR in the 2 1/2 gal. tank with a cheap growlight ......

And that's the plan....

Bob

Henry22
09/26/2005, 04:48 PM
Sounds good to me, although i dont know much about plumbing and i dont have a nano cude.

fishman805
09/26/2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Henry22
Sounds good to me, although i dont know much about plumbing and i dont have a nano cude.

Thanks...... I'm just trying to work up the nerve to "drill" the tank..although the back is plastic, it still makes me nervous because once I start, there ain't no going back......:lol:

Bob

FateX8
09/26/2005, 07:47 PM
or you could add a 13watt pc bulb in the empty portion behind the splash guard, take out the ceramic balls and carbon and add lr rubble and chaeto back there
that way youll have a fuge in your tank
you might wanna check out www.nano-reef.com cause theres tons of people there that have nanocubes

fishman805
09/27/2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by FateX8
or you could add a 13watt pc bulb in the empty portion behind the splash guard, take out the ceramic balls and carbon and add lr rubble and chaeto back there
that way youll have a fuge in your tank
you might wanna check out www.nano-reef.com cause theres tons of people there that have nanocubes

I've already made the mods to my nano which included the LR rubble and all.... ( I've got a seperate thread on my 12gal Nano Cube tank ) and my only other issue with doing this is that the tank is doing so good right now the way it is... I mean crystal clear water.... no algae ( to speak of anyway ) no cyano and pods running around everywhere...!! I've even got coraline forming on the back wall where it had never been before ( the first time out as a nano reef )... The only real reason I was considering this to start with is that I've got so much cheato from my other two tank fuges that I hated to just throw it away and thought "why not another fuge..?" But I may end up just keeping it the way it is...

Past experience has shown me that when you mess with something that's working, you end up screwing it up....

Bob

FateX8
09/27/2005, 05:00 PM
coo beans
but instead of trashing the chaeto im sure people would love to buy some from you
i know theres always someone that wants it
mike

jedininja
09/28/2005, 03:51 PM
The back of the tank is not plastic and is actually glass covered by a plastic-like lining on the outside only. I think its a good idea, just make sure you know how to drill glass.

fishman805
09/28/2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by jedininja
The back of the tank is not plastic and is actually glass covered by a plastic-like lining on the outside only. I think its a good idea, just make sure you know how to drill glass.

Well thanks for letting me know that.... I guess that clinches it then.... I do not have any experience cutting glass and I do not want to experiment on this tank.....

Thanks

Bob

mightymouse
09/28/2005, 06:04 PM
ok heres a good idea for you cut the plastic hood on the top make two holes put a pump in chamber one to pump water up to a refugium have it above the main tank and have it gravity fed back to your main tank just make a shelf above your main tank and make sure ur pump doesnt pump more water than gravity will feed back you will need an adjustable pump but when you get it set it will be perfect if you want to DIY an autop topoff it would also work well since it will be above the tank already gravity is ur friend and can simplify things alot hope that helped some

o therees another alternative buy a 13 watt retro kit and make the fuge in chamber 2 of your filter

Pico1
09/28/2005, 09:11 PM
there is no progress without change

fishman805
09/29/2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Pico1
there is no progress without change

:lol: I hear ya Pico....... I'm still not sure I want to cut the glass... But I may consider notching the back cover.... I'll let you know soon...

Bob

jedininja
09/29/2005, 02:29 PM
I htink that mightymouse's idea is a good one.