PDA

View Full Version : My MACNA Presentation

Steven Pro
09/21/2005, 07:21 AM
Did any of you wake up early enough to see my presentation? I am looking for some constructive criticism and feedback. Was anything unclear? Should I have spent more or less time on any particular slide? Did you see anything wrong with my scientific methods? Etc.

cward
09/21/2005, 08:09 AM
I think it turned out great. It was easy to understand and after you were finished, it didn't leave me in my seat wondering what in the heck you were talking about.
Some people make their presentations too scientific, but most of us aren't so it's nice to have someone speak to us in a way we can all understand.

Next time you need a bigger room.

ReefMon
09/21/2005, 10:22 AM
Steven,

I am looking forward to seeing yours and all the other presentations on the DVD's.

All the feed back I got was that your presentation was fantastic as usual!

Happy Reefing!
Glenn

dgasmd
09/21/2005, 10:31 AM
I attended it and I thought it was fairly good. I wished you would ahve covered some of the non-reef safe treatment alternatives and quarintine/treatment protocols that are currently used int he trade or hobby with great success for common things like flukes, ick, parasites, marine velvet, etc. Overall, it was very good and applicable.

jimroth
09/21/2005, 12:38 PM
I attended and I enjoyed your presentation very much. One quibble: It would have been good to at least hear what all the medications were claimed to treat. There was no info given about (my favorite) Greenex. It might be interesting to test more treatments, or more organisms. I have found faviids to be incredibly resilient.

Steven Pro
09/21/2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by jimroth
One quibble: It would have been good to at least hear what all the medications were claimed to treat. Thank you for pointing that out. I will be sure to add that to my slides.

Steven Pro
09/21/2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by dgasmd
I wished you would ahve covered some of the non-reef safe treatment alternatives and quarintine/treatment protocols that are currently used int he trade or hobby with great success for common things like flukes, ick, parasites, marine velvet, etc. I have been doing a presentation like that for numerous hobby clubs throughout the US for the past year, but for MACNA I wanted to do all new material that you couldn't get somewhere else.

SERVO
09/25/2005, 09:51 AM
Hey Steve,

I attended your talk as well. I thought that you did a decent job and your main points were articulated well. I do have a lot of constructive criticism about you experimental design and flaws of your data collection. However, the lecture was delivered well.

I would have liked to see more comparisons of the measures of pH, Ca, Alk, Mg, etc with the different additives. Observational studies, although important, do not add much solid science. Pick a hypothesis and try to prove or disprove it. If you just to collect observational data, than try to determine what measurable parameters can change! Keep up the good work, from little acorns..........

Steven Pro
09/27/2005, 09:25 AM
Servo, could you expand upon your thoughts? Is it that you wanted to know why those Xenia died and not just that they did die? For instance, that treatment A caused the pH to pummet, which then led to the Xenia's demise.

SERVO
09/30/2005, 10:18 PM
Exactly! :) As you know, if something is reef safe, not only should it not destroy our desirable inverts and corals, but we should also be aware of what happens to the water chemistry. This way when something dies, you can analyse all potential measureable variables that may have played a role in the demise of the coral/invert. ;)

IMO it is really immorale for the manufactures not to display the ingredients on their product labels. :mad2:

Steven Pro
10/02/2005, 06:30 AM
That is an interesting idea. It might be worthwhile to simply add these medications to empty samples of aerated water to see if they have any water quality effects seperate from the animals.

leebca
10/10/2005, 04:31 PM
You know I was there. :D

The anecdotal part using the xenia was good. Although I'm with Servo, I believe the additives contain ingredients that won't show up on standard test kit analyses. To convert the anecdotal work over to a technical project would need to ID the ingredient and then test the ingredient's mode of affect. But, I think this would likely be beyond your resources.

I think the Allicin/garlic part was very good, as I had expressed. In the back of my mind there was a fumble regarding your comments regarding immune suppressants. But, I don't remember. I'd have to hear a tape of it to point it out.

I thought, in all, a very good job.

Are you ready to try and show whether some other meds do what they say they do? That might stretch the budget/resources some, but I might be able to help out.

Look forward to seeing you again -- somewhere -- sometime! :rollface:

Steven Pro
10/10/2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by leebca
Are you ready to try and show whether some other meds do what they say they do? That might stretch the budget/resources some, but I might be able to help out.

Look forward to seeing you again -- somewhere -- sometime! :rollface: I have to finish up the garlic experiment. After that, I don't have any strong plans. I might expand upon the Xenia experiment testing the same treatments on different test subjects. I am also considering testing Xenia growth with and without iodine or P. damicornis with and without strontium. The later two are my likely topic for next year's MACNA.

About the closest I am going to be to your neck of the woods is a trip I have planned in January to Sacramento, Monterey Bay, and San Jose. But, I know that is not that close.

leebca
10/10/2005, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking it's time to test Melafix.

Steven Pro
10/11/2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by leebca
I'm thinking it's time to test Melafix. So, what are you thinking? Reef-safe claims or petri dish experiments on cultured bacteria?

leebca
10/11/2005, 05:48 PM
I'm thinking you got several tanks, separate from each other.

A group of tank-bred fish, as identical as possible (bros?). QT all together and verify health. Feed optimum diet with supplements.

The group is infected with a bacterial infection (specific or multiple organisms). Small groups of them, in separate tanks are treated with different, non-antibiotic treatments. A few are treated with antibiotics. Record the results.

The above can be refined and detailed. I buy fish, bacteria, and/or meds. You do the work, or some other arrangement. that suits you.

:rollface:

Steven Pro
10/12/2005, 08:25 AM
That sounds good to me. Let me finish with the mollies and garlic and get back to you.

By the way, what pathogen are you thinking of?