PDA

View Full Version : Sand

jurisnipper
02/27/2002, 06:27 PM
What does everyone use for sand? Anyone try sandblasting sand? Where did you get it?

kgross
02/27/2002, 11:18 PM
Currently I suggest the CarribSea Aragamax. I do have sand ballasting sand in my 150 though, I was able to get 70 grit sand from Loyd Lumber here in nampa. I am not sure if I would do it again though, I do not think the 70 grit sand is as fine as the CarribSea Aragamax. The particle size is the most important factor when setting up a sand bed, If I could find around 100 grit sand I think it would be much better.

Kim

BraveHeart
03/05/2002, 01:47 AM
jurisnipper,

I'll second the Aragamax recommendation. It's a bit spendy, but it makes a good looking and very functional bed. You won't go wrong with it. Several of the club members have Aragamax sandbeds.

I just went over and looked at Steve's 500 gal and his bed, like his entire setup, looks great. But, I'm glad I didn't have to buy that much sand. He must have 500 lbs, or more in there!

Bryan

heedicus
03/22/2002, 04:13 PM
hello,
I have 70 gritt sandblasting sand in my 50 gal. and so far it has done great. no fishies or inverts have died yet and almost all the sand has started to settle. the best part it cost 10.50!
so added bonus for me:D

jurisnipper
03/22/2002, 05:48 PM
The sand has worked fine in my new tank too. I didn't rinse it before I added it to the tank. It took 4-5 days for all of the silt to settle. Crystal clear now.

I did have a diatom bloom, but the turbo snails have it licked. Of course I knew that the tap water I used would do that...I wish there was a cheap way to get RO water. Maybe santa will bring me a RO filter for Christmas. ;)

heedicus
03/22/2002, 07:18 PM
luckily i have not had a bad bloom yet, i had one before the ole dsb switch. But i did have an idear for getting better water. When i switched out i replaced all the water with reverse osmosis water, i got it at Fred Meyer. they have this little water thing, for one gallon if you buy the container is 69cents, if you have your own gallon containers its only 29cents. I used this water when i refilled my tank after i took out the crushed coral, and have had no algae probems yet. there is a tiny bit of brown stuff that i cleaned off for the first time today, the last time i cleaned it was over two weeks ago (and i think the bloom was from the little regular water left over.) but it was pretty cheap and has been working very well for me so far. just an idear.
tren

jurisnipper
03/28/2002, 05:31 PM
Treasure Valley Coffee/Rain Water Fresh bottled water has a RO water vending machine outside of their building on Executive/President (just off Cloverdale). RO water 5 gallons for $1 or gallon by gallon @ $0.25/gallon. FYI.

deucejimmo
03/29/2002, 02:21 PM
jurisnipper
You canget RO DI water at jens salt water haven for .25 cents a gallon . The water from rain water refreshed is not run through a DI and therefore still has a lot of silicates in it . It will not get rid of your diatom problem.

jurisnipper
03/29/2002, 02:53 PM
>The water from rain water refreshed is not run through a DI

Actually, I just called TVC. Their water is RO/DI.

As for the TVC water, the diatoms went away within 2 days from when I started using it. Obviously, at a minimum, the amount of silicates has been reduced to a point where my snails keep the diatoms licked.

heedicus
03/29/2002, 10:28 PM
well i just may have to try me some water from over there.
I am still getting some steady algae mostly diatom so perhaps i will try that water out.
thanks for the info
tren

deucejimmo
03/31/2002, 10:49 PM
I dont know who you talked to but i spoke to one of the fellows in the office about purchasing a RO unit from them hesaid they do not use DI nor do they sell them . However you can get a 50GPD RO from them for 150.00 They build there own there . They don 't do DI.I have used there water and still get diatom blooms especially after adding their water to my system. If you are trying to get rid of diatoms try Jen salt or culligan in garden city they both use RO DI units.

jurisnipper
04/01/2002, 10:11 AM
Perhaps you are right...the person I talked to sounded to somewhat unsure. Who knows.

The water does appear to be working for me.

Too bad Jens Salt isn't closer to my house. :(

heedicus
04/01/2002, 11:19 AM
Hello,
pardon my ignorance, but where is culligans? or what is culligans? And how much is their water per gallon? Still trying to get some better water, still have me some good diatom aglae goin on so...
thanks
tren

jurisnipper
04/01/2002, 12:50 PM
heedicus:

Do you have snails? I added 3 turbo snails to my 29 gallon when I had the bloom. They really helped.

After seeing how they mowed through the bloom, I swear by them.

heedicus
04/02/2002, 12:55 AM
I have a couple,
I should have my etropicals order arrive tommorow with a bunch, but I was hoping to help slow it down at the source, its not even that bad right now with only 2 or 3 in there so I am not too worried about it so...
Side Note:
I put in some live sand activator from GARF, in a couple weeks after my sand comes a lil more alive would anyone like to trade cup-o-live sand for a cup-o-live sand? get a little more diversified fauna down there?
anywho
thanks
tren

deucejimmo
04/02/2002, 09:56 PM
MR heedicus
If you were coming too the meetings you would know that we do a sand exchange every month if you would like to participate come to the next meeting on the11th bring a cup 8 oz of your sand and take some of the mixture of everyones home.

heedicus
04/03/2002, 11:05 AM
I have heard about the meetings,
But unfortunetally for me I teach karate on thursday nights from 6-9:30 at night so I cant get away from it to come. I cant get anyone to cover for me(no one is qualified in my school to teach) so there isnt a lot i can do for now:(
So I am kind of out of luck.
thanks though
tren

deucejimmo
04/15/2002, 10:05 PM
fellas ,
If you are looking for live sand many of the LFS will give you some sand out of thier tanks but I"M NOT REALLY SURE OF THE QUALITY> Jensalt always has live sand for sale or give any of the IMAS members a call . I know I would trade you sand if that is something you want to do.
Call me 887-0886 we can work something out .