PDA

View Full Version : RO units

coralreefengr
02/27/2002, 01:09 PM
Does anyone out there have their own RO or DI unit? We're thinking about getting one. The question is...are they all the same, or are there better/worse ones out there? :crazy1:

Thanks,
Debra

FishGeeek
02/27/2002, 06:08 PM
Welcome to Reef Central!

I bought mine at builders square. was $165.00. Got a 3 stage ro with drinking water kit. I use it for tanks and drinking water. The only difference is the membrane and the number of stages. I have a 3 stage 1 for mechanical filtration then 2 is a carbon block and 3 is the ro membrane.

Brian

brainsurf
02/27/2002, 10:29 PM
Just received my 100GPD Oceanus 4 RO/DI unit from Aquatic Reef Systems last Saturday. Bryan is extremely helpful and answered all of my questions, he even threw in a free adapter for my female threaded faucets. Unfortunately the adapter didn't make it into the package, no big deal, you can pick them up at HD for a couple of bucks. After receiving the unit I called Bryan to set up the system and mentioned the missing adapter to him, he was very upset and insisted he send me a spare adapter and a free set of pre-filters. He also was very helpful when the package did not come on time(due to President's Day). Once I set the system up, I tested my tap water, the TDS meter read in the 360's, after RO/DI it was 0-1. Bryan has great customer service and the unit looks like it is made of quality material. I love the thing.. I highly recommend Aquatic Reef Systems.

coralreefengr
02/27/2002, 11:38 PM
I've been looking at the aquatic reef systems units. What does the DI get me over just the RO? I was considering the 3 stage system and wasn't thinking about getting something with the DI. It's kind of confusing and so far I'm coming up with nothing at my LFS. They don't know why they recommend stuff...they just do. I really appreciate the input from this board.

brainsurf
03/01/2002, 11:42 PM
Hey coralreefengr,

I'm no expert on RO/DI but if I remember correctly RO takes out about 96%-98% of the impurities of the tap water, then the DI takes out most of the remaining. You might want to post the question in the Sponsor forum, I'm sure Bryan from Aquatic Reef Systems or someone else can explain it a lot better than I can.
I've also heard of a lot of people using RO only and doing just fine w/o the DI. I don't know how your water quality is in Longmont, but down here in Highlands Ranch it seems pretty bad(especially according to my TDS meter). Hope this helps a little.

tvan1
03/06/2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by brainsurf
Just received my 100GPD Oceanus 4 RO/DI unit from Aquatic Reef Systems last Saturday. Bryan is extremely helpful and answered all of my questions, he even threw in a free adapter for my female threaded faucets. Unfortunately the adapter didn't make it into the package, no big deal, you can pick them up at HD for a couple of bucks. After receiving the unit I called Bryan to set up the system and mentioned the missing adapter to him, he was very upset and insisted he send me a spare adapter and a free set of pre-filters. He also was very helpful when the package did not come on time(due to President's Day). Once I set the system up, I tested my tap water, the TDS meter read in the 360's, after RO/DI it was 0-1. Bryan has great customer service and the unit looks like it is made of quality material. I love the thing.. I highly recommend Aquatic Reef Systems.

Brainsurf,

I am also looking for a RO/DI unit. I heard RO/DI is better for tanks but too dry for drinking and RO is opposite. Therefore, some system has a valve to select RO or RO/DI water. Can Oceanus system do that?

Timmy

Aquatic Reef Systems
03/06/2002, 02:46 AM
Hey Timmy,
I just answered your emails and decided to see if you were here too and low and behold :)

Yes we can set the system up with two seperate outputs, one for you and one for the fish!

DI has never been proven to have any negative effect on people but there are theories out there.
Truth is it tastes bad so most people wouldnt want to drink it anyways.
so to bypass the DI and drink RO alone is a good plan.
Kind of a long wait though so I would want to fill up a gallon jug and throw it in the fridge!

Talk to you soon bud!

Bryan Crenshaw

Aquatic Reef Systems
03/06/2002, 02:49 AM
PS, Brainsurf

Did you ever get the second package Im not showing anything shipped?
Let me know and we will throw it in the mail in the morning if you did not get it!

Take care

Bryan

tvan1
03/06/2002, 01:46 PM
Just want to let you all know that I spoke with Bryan at Aquatic Reef System today and I am so glad that I did. Bryan was so helpful in answering my questions and went an extra step to meet my need by adding an RO outlet so the system will have both RO and DI outlets for drinking and tank water. I ordered the system and looking forward to getting it soon.

Thanks Bryan,

Timmy

brainsurf
03/06/2002, 02:29 PM
Sounds like Bryan already answered your questions. I'm glad I could recommend him and that you experienced the same great customer service I did.

JEMichael IV
03/10/2002, 09:00 AM
Hi Debra, I noticed that you were in Longmont so do I. I am off of 21st and Hover.

Well I have a 5stage AquaFX unit setup here. If you would like to come by and check it out, it always helps to see a setup unit. :)

Let me know, John
You can call me at 303-931-7387 if you wish.