PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to take a guess? Banggai pics

JonK
02/27/2002, 01:07 PM
I have 3 banggai that have recently been added to my tank.
They have been in for about 2 days and they are all hanging out
together with no signs of aggression. They are all relatively the same size at about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in length.

I received them from marine depot in the hopes a pair would form and If I had to remove one I would.

It seems two of them hang around together and the other one stays a little bit farther away but he's not being chased into the corners of the tank.

Here's the first pic:

JonK
02/27/2002, 01:08 PM
The second pic:

JonK
02/27/2002, 01:11 PM
The last pic:

I've done searches in the forum about trying to sex them but I think it comes down to people who have actually seen a pair and can point out the smallest differences between the fish and I understand it's very difficult. Thanks for any guesses you guys might have.

Jon

Atticus
02/27/2002, 03:46 PM
You sure that is not the same fish 3 times???? j/k

Laura D
02/27/2002, 04:36 PM
I have a feeling that the first one is female, the second one is male, and I don't know about the third, maybe a male too.

Keep in mind I am just guessing for fun. When my banggais bred they turned out to be the opposite of what I thought they were. The first one you have up just looks like my female and the second one my male. Except my female has a long banner fin, which is strange because my male doesn't.

They are a mystery, these fish.

JonK
02/27/2002, 04:50 PM
They do all look like the same fish don't they?

Well the first and second picture are the two that always seem to
stay together. So hopefully they will be a pair. The third one is the fish that stays relatively close but about 6 inches below the other two.

Thanks guys,

If anybody else would like to chime in please do so.

Jon

Wild Card-inal
02/27/2002, 08:34 PM
Sexing is a LOT harder than it sounds...

They ALL look like they have the same jaws...

Spikehs
02/27/2002, 10:17 PM
My guess is

1. female
2. male
3. male

of course i am no good at sexing them, so take this info at your own risk!

Wild Card-inal
03/01/2002, 06:01 PM
I'm going to take a guess. Yes, a guess.

Female
Female
Male

Which would explain the peace...

Laura D
03/21/2002, 07:41 PM
So have you found out if you have a pair yet??

I would relly like to know if I was correct in my guesses, although you probably have forgotten which fish is which in the pics by now, LOL!

Wild Card-inal
03/21/2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Spikehs
My guess is

1. female
2. male
3. male

of course i am no good at sexing them, so take this info at your own risk!

Wait, that's what it looks like to me, now, too!

JonK
03/22/2002, 11:02 AM
I believe you guys are right with it being 2 males and 1 female.

At this point, the same two fish that originally hung around together are still together.

Now, the other presumably male fish is not part of the group.
Although he kept a minimal distance before he goes no where near the other two anymore except during feeding. The other two show no aggression towards it during feeding time but they must have done something to discourage his hanging around them. He now hides behind a large colt coral at the opposite end of the tank.

I have not seen the dominant male actively seek out to harm the other one but I'm sure it will have to be removed from the tank at some point. I just want to make sure I do have a pair before removing him.

Jon

Guy
03/22/2002, 11:10 AM
That is the behavior I would expect from three females or two females an one male.

JonK
03/22/2002, 11:16 AM
Guy,

So you think it's 3 female or 2 females and 1 male.
I thought if I had 2 females and 1 male the females would tolerate each other and only males would chase other males
away?

Jon

Guy
03/22/2002, 12:38 PM
It has been my (limited) experience that when an adult male sees another adult male it is vicious in chasing the other male. It doesn't just shoo it away, it's out for BLOOD.

It has also been my experience that once females have paired with a male they no longer appreciate the company of other females.

That explains why I think you don't have 2 males.

I only mentioned the possibility of three females because by now I would have expected you to report that one of your fish has stopped eating and has a bulldog appearance ;)

JonK
03/22/2002, 01:03 PM
Okay, I understand what your saying now.

As I am sitting on the computer and glancing at the tank occasionally I notice that the "pair" are turning sideways to one another and doing a kind of shimmy. I'm not sure if that's a courtship thing or not. Or maybe I'm just misinterpreting what's going on. Everytime I sit up close to the tank all they do is come up to the glass and wait for me to throw some food in the tank.

Will the female look "plump" when she is ready to deliver eggs?

I feed them quite often and one does look fatter than the other so I can't say if she is ready to spawn or not. I'm gonna try and post a pic w/ both of them in the same picture. gotta get batteries for the camera first.

thanks,

Jon

Guy
03/22/2002, 03:42 PM
CONGRATS! :D

The Female will "shimmy" up to the male when she it ready to deliver eggs....

Sounds like you're on your way!

Frank will be excited :smokin:

Wild Card-inal
03/23/2002, 01:04 PM
Frank is also definitely going to ask for some pics for his collection.

Congratulations! A shimmy means the female wants some action! Anyway, I believe one article says the female looks like a spoon shape, but that might be just that female.