PDA

View Full Version : Cuttle order attempted...again

schmunkel98
02/27/2002, 01:51 AM
Hey everyone,

I haven't been back on here in a little while, but I wanted to let everyone know that I have two separate LFS's trying to get me some cuttlefish for this coming Friday! I hope that one of them will come through this time! I'll keep you guys posted!

Mike

www.schmunkel.0catch.com

P.S. I'm going to ask this in the D.I.Y. forum also, but what do you guys use to prevent overflow in your sump? I currently have a UPS unit with only the sump pump on it that can run for about 45 minutes on the battery it houses. However, I would like to set up another reserve tank or something in case of longer power outages.

OctoMonkey
02/28/2002, 05:35 AM
Hi Mike,
Good luck again!!!!! Hope you have better luck this time.

My sump only holds about 6" depth of water and is 15" tall. That means that if the electricity goes off and the pump stops; there is enough room in the sump to hold all the excess water which runs in.

If you are looking up DIY sumps you should also check out notes on Caulerpa algae filters and refugiums. That is what I am going to do big-style on my next tank. An undertank sump the same length as the show tank that is full of Caulerpa and on a 24 hour full light cycle.

If you have still to get a tank drilled for an overflow (Idont know the box you mention) get it drilled at water level on the side of the tank. Drilled on the bottom means that the upstand and weir sound like a toilet or drain emptying all day.

I drilled my tank at 3 positions in a row at water level. 2 drain into a wet/dry trickle tower then sump and the 3rd drains into the female octo tank and then the sump. The Aquamedic 5000 skims from the tank to the tank.

Hope this helps, making the sytems is perhaps my favourite part. Well, after keeping the cephs obviously!

all the best
Colin

schmunkel98
02/28/2002, 04:19 PM
Hey Colin,

I hope one of these two stores will deliver this time, but we shall see. I might also have another wholesaler source that someone on the CEPH-LIST found. Anyway, my sump can usually hold the overflow except when I put a large amount of top off water in the tank to compensate for the evaporation. I think I need to get some kind of float valve sytem for the top off water instead. That way I can just leave a bucket of RO/DI water under the stand and it will fill the sump as needed. Fitting the float in my sump is going to be interesting since my skimmer takes up so much room. If you have anything similar to this then let me know. I'll write on here and let you know how the cuttle orders went tomorrow. Maybe I'll have some pictures!

Mike

www.schmunkel.0catch.com