PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my tank!

tcottle
02/26/2002, 08:31 PM
Please follow the link and help me out!

Thanks (in advance)
Todd

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67112

hcs3
02/26/2002, 08:45 PM
todd,

live and learn. as you have probably researched and found out, the goni won't last long. next time try to resist the impulse purchase and research prior to purchase.

sadly, the same might be said for the feather duster. in a new, small tank it will slowly starve unless you feed it. the animal is 100% filter feeder aka non-photosynthetic.

now, as to what is causing the corals to not open....

how long have you left them in the same position? most people recommend to wait for 2 or 3 days and see if they open before moving again.

have you killed any fish yet? you note having only 1 small one as of yet...

are you putting your hands in the tank with anything on them? chemicals, etc.. how about chemicals (cleaning agents) in the house?

HTH

henry

tcottle
02/26/2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by hcs3
todd,

live and learn. as you have probably researched and found out, the goni won't last long. next time try to resist the impulse purchase and research prior to purchase.

Wow that's quick service!

sadly, the same might be said for the feather duster. in a new, small tank it will slowly starve unless you feed it. the animal is 100% filter feeder aka non-photosynthetic.

Actually I have kept these successfully before. I never tried to keep a crystal clear tank and I do not have a skimmer

now, as to what is causing the corals to not open....

how long have you left them in the same position? most people recommend to wait for 2 or 3 days and see if they open before moving again.

Yup left them alone for 3+ days before moving. Also I am keeping the corals clean from detritus with a turkey baster on the same schedule. Not a single polyp has opened ....

have you killed any fish yet? you note having only 1 small one as of yet...

What are you implying? :D I did kill a Royal Gramma about a month ago. Got trapped in my overflow and I did not notice before it was too late. I am trying to bring the tank up from the bottom of the food chain. The only reason why I added a single fish was I was getting tired of answering the question why I did not have any fish in my "fishtank"

are you putting your hands in the tank with anything on them? chemicals, etc.. how about chemicals (cleaning agents) in the house?

I have been careful of that. I rinse my hand before getting them in the tank. No other known source of other contamination and everything else is the tank is thriving.

Thanks!

hcs3
02/26/2002, 09:16 PM
Wow that's quick service!

just doing my daily 4 hour tour of duty :)

Actually I have kept these successfully before. I never tried to keep a crystal clear tank and I do not have a skimmer

no skimmer will definately help. how long have you kept them in the past?

Yup left them alone for 3+ days before moving. Also I am keeping the corals clean from detritus with a turkey baster on the same schedule. Not a single polyp has opened ....

strange. i'd suspect something is amiss in the water. your not blowing the corals too hard with the turkey baster are you?

I did kill a Royal Gramma about a month ago. Got trapped in my overflow and I did not notice before it was too late.

not implying anything. just wondering if you may have added a fish that died an unexpected death. this would make me think more of water poisoning.

where did you get the corals?

henry

honeybee
02/26/2002, 09:37 PM
Did your problem start with the last coral? Did the Goniopora ever open? If it is dying the toxins it releases could cause your other corals to stay closed. You might try putting the Goniopora in another tank followed with big water changes.

Frank

hcs3
02/26/2002, 09:45 PM
good idea frank :thumbsup:

tcottle
02/26/2002, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hcs3

no skimmer will definately help. how long have you kept them in the past?

I had a 55g tank about 10 yrs ago. UG filter and home made wet/dry. 3 feather dusters over nine months as I recall. Sold them when I broke the tank down to move.

strange. i'd suspect something is amiss in the water. your not blowing the corals too hard with the turkey baster are you?

Don't think so -- just hard enough to gently remove surface layer. No blowing in the first 5 days in my tank.

not implying anything. just wondering if you may have added a fish that died an unexpected death. this would make me think more of water poisoning.

where did you get the corals?

I picked them up at Capitol Corals. They had only been in his tank for 5 days but all looked AOK (open and healthy). It almost has to be the water just find it odd that everything else is fine.

Todd

tcottle
02/26/2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by honeybee
Did your problem start with the last coral? Did the Goniopora ever open? If it is dying the toxins it releases could cause your other corals to stay closed. You might try putting the Goniopora in another tank followed with big water changes.

Frank

Actually they were added at the same time. All looked fine at the LFS. I do not have another tank but since it is going to be a losing battle I'll pull it out of the tank tomorrow night if there is not an improvement. I really hate to kill things ....

BTW thanks for the red macro -- I put it in my sump and it is darkening up nicely. I have also managed not to kill the Halmedia (yet) ...

hcs3
02/27/2002, 12:08 AM
I had a 55g tank about 10 yrs ago. UG filter and home made wet/dry. 3 feather dusters over nine months as I recall. Sold them when I broke the tank down to move.

i suppose with the UGF and W/D you had some nitrates. it is possible they used this as food, ala tridacnid clams. maybe you had a high enough fish load and the fish fed the dusters with their waste. however, remember success is measured in years ;)

Don't think so -- just hard enough to gently remove surface layer. No blowing in the first 5 days in my tank.

i'd resist this unless it is heavy. healhty corals are able to remove debrise and slime by themselves. is something throwing sand on them?

have you had a LFS test your water to confirm your readings?

temperature?

honeybee
02/27/2002, 11:58 AM
Put the Goniopora in a plastic bucket with new water (not from your aquarium) and place it some place warm. No light for a few days should be ok. Do the water change in the reef and see if the conditions improve. If there is no discoloration (dead tissue)on the Gonipora you might try returning it to the reef.

BTW a healthly Gonipora should take many weeks to die.

Frank