PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue Tang owners only.

polo
02/26/2002, 08:07 PM
I am interested in Acanthurus leucosternon, the Powder Blue Tang. I would like some FACTS, and only some facts. I do not want to hear your opinion on owning tangs in general. I am trying to make some choices in the type of fish that I will have in my 120 gal reef tank. I would like answers to several questions concerning this fish. If you have one now or have ever owned one I appreciate your help.

1. How big was the fish when you first got it?

2. What did you feed it? (From acclimation to current diet)

3. What were its tankmates? Other tangs?

4. What special care requirements did you have to perform?

5. How long have/did you owned/own the fish?

6. Any other pertinent information?

I hope no one takes offense at my tone, I don't mean to offend. I just want to learn and try avoid some of the nonsense. :)

Frisco
02/26/2002, 08:23 PM
I have had one in my 180 for about a year; it was about 2"-3" when I got it and it has at least doubled in length since then. I feed it a variety of just about everything I can get my hands on and it eats everything except dried nori - it eats more than any other fish I have ever had, is by far the most active, aggressive, and dominant fish that I have. I also have a desjardini and the two of them, while not fighting, do seem to flex a tail or two here and there and show some attitude. With hindsight, considering that my 180 now seems too small for one, let alone two tangs, I wouldn't recommend one for your 120.

Ovrclckd
02/26/2002, 09:04 PM

6" Snout to caudal peduncle, 7" TL or so. Bigger than most, bigger than recommended.

Started out with green nori soaked in zoe, graduated to green nori, red seaweed and brine shrimp, then mysis, marine cuisine, etc. Once it started eating, it really started eating :) Now it eats anything, from small pieces of cocktail shrimp to krill.

Large tank, a 480 gallon. Two medium bamboo sharks (24" and 14"), a volitan lion, a yellow tang, and for six months a blue spotted ribbontail ray. After a year or so, I moved it to a 180 gallon with the yellow tang, which now also houses a green bird wrasse and a clown. Its the dominant fish in the tank, never any problems with the tangs. No apparent difference in its behavior in between the two tanks.

Nothing really, just had to watch out for the right specimen. I worked part time at the LFS then, I saw a beauty come in and I took her home with me.

18 months now.

It's all in aquiring a healthy eating specimen... if you buy one thats weak, skinny, that won't eat, you'll likely have problems. It took me over a year of waiting to find the right one (and I'd see half a dozen every two weeks or so), but once I got the right one, she did alright.

stevescg
02/26/2002, 09:04 PM
almost the same as frisco, except mine loves nori. My PBT is the smallest of my tangs but is the most agressive. He is not afraid to shake his tail at anyone, never actually lashing out at another fish. They are very demanding of water quality and need space to move about, I wouldn't put one in a cramped or overstocked tank.

Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer!!!

naesco
02/26/2002, 09:06 PM
I had a powder blue tang. It was purchased for me as a Christmas present. I fed it the same as I did my other tangs which I had for some time including a yellow, Atlantic blue, kole and powder brown japonica.
It seemed to do well than after approximately six months it got sick and died within a few days.
I subsequently read many threads on this and other boards that this is fairly typical for the powder blue.
Take a good look at the powder brown tang japonica with orange on it fins and white cheeks. It is easy to keep and just as beautiful.
I cannot recommend the powder blue for your 120

Ironreef
02/26/2002, 09:50 PM
powder browns can be hard =hard to find a healthy one. They don't ship well =shipping practices whatever. But I know a few ppl who have health y hardy ones but I never seen them in lfs. I don't order online my fish I like to see. So dunno abiut that. PB can be hard to find healthy ones also. If you must buy one I would find agood one and have the lfs hold it for awhile to watch it eat ect...JMO

Barracuda
02/26/2002, 10:14 PM
Polo

2-1.0"/1.5" juveniles TL // currently about 4.0" & 3.75"
Happy as clams :)

Personal food mixture w/anti-anthelmicthyic, etc. to what ever I have on hand - predominantly flake food & fw mysis.

Small orange-shoulder tang, red sea cleaner, 5 black red sea chromis. Soon to have Golden Angel into the same tank.

Standard / None. Provide a quality environment in acclimation tank, minimal treatment / immersion in medicated water, high dissolved oxygen concentration and feeding regime.

These particular PBT's are 8 months with me.
Have maintained PBT's from 2yrs to 5+yrs.

Purchase your PBT from you local fish store & not over the net!, if at all possible. Preferably purchase a captive raised juvenile tang. Make sure the tang is eating in the LFS. Make sure its free of external infections - bacteria, ich, etc. Make sure its alert & actively feeding in the tank - even if there is no visible food source. SHOULD not be any despression / concavity of the upper area btw eyes / top fin. EXPECT to battle a internal gut worm infestation (1 of the leading factors affecting mortality rates). Feed a medicated food preparation since you can't get enough medicine across the blood / water barrier through standard fish medications without damaging the liver!.

Remember to provide at least an 85% diet of varied vegetative feeds supplemented with highly unsaturated fatty-acids. Lastly, probably quality husbandry procedures / methods

I'll stay out of tang / tank size :)

"Ovrclckd"

Standard length (SL) = tip of snout to end of caudal peduncal.
Total length (TL) = tip of snout to end of caudal fin

Hope this helps.

naesco
02/26/2002, 10:44 PM
Ironreef
I am surprised that you said that the powder brown (japonicus) is hard to find. What is rarely imported today because like the powder blue, is difficult to keep alive is the goldrim tang.
The names are often confusing but the powder brown has orange highlights on it.
Please see www.wetwebmedia.com/tangs,.com (note the comma) and you can see pictures of both of them.
The tang with the orange is readily available, correct?

Polo
Take the time to read the comments on the Powder Blue in that same article by Robert Fenner... not good

hcs3
02/26/2002, 11:58 PM
i would like you to email inland aquatics (inlandaquatics@aol.com). they have purchased hundreds of PBT and from their experience they will no longer bring them in for retail sale.

HTH

henry

Barracuda
02/27/2002, 12:08 AM
Acanthurus glaucopareius = powder brown tang / recently being called "gold rim tang". Easily distinguished by a gold stripe at the rear of the caudal fin (tail), small white spot directly under eye & gold / yellow colored caudal peduncal scapel

Acanthurus japonicus = white cheeck tang with an associated acronym of powder brown. Easily distinguished by red coloration of the soft rays of the dorsal fin, gold stripe at the base of the caudal fin (tail), large white patch from eye to upper lip & gold / yellow colored caudal peduncal area & scapel

Similar care / requirements as most Acanthurids.

Both are fairly readily available in Southern California wholesalers / fish stores.

naesco
02/27/2002, 12:24 AM
Barracudda
I am really surprised they still bring in the gold rim. They just don't survive. The powder brown japonicus is much more beautiful too.

hcs3
It sure is a good feeling to see that an Inland Aquatics has opted to stop the import of the powder blue tang. They are setting an example for all.
Have you noticed that there is more and more concern raised by reefers on this board to the import and sale of impossible to keep species? I guess the word is getting out even to newbies.

Barracuda
02/27/2002, 12:56 AM
Naesco

Since most collectors don't care about the minor differences between the species and their somewhat minimal geographical overlap, both species are commonly available.

Thats questionable about which one looks better, even though they are one of the uglier / bland looking Acanthurids.

Both are infested with gut worms (primary) & parasites (secondary) from collection conditions (environmental stress & starvation) as any other caught tang before it gets to our shores.

Both are equally aggressive / territorial tangs.