PDA

View Full Version : FREE yellow tang

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/26/2002, 07:03 PM
PLEASE i have him out of my reef FINALY anyone that wants him trade or not i dont care just get him outta my reef (IF YOU DO HAVE CLAMS DONT GET THIS ONE)

thanks all

MarksReef
02/26/2002, 10:36 PM
Hmm!! I just got a new tank (to me) yesterday from todd I would be interested giving him a new home give me a ring 247-2858 I think he had one in there befor I'll ask him Mark :D

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/26/2002, 11:23 PM
how about cycle?? i suppose i could put him in the sump for a little while but 3 weeks+ for cycle might be a while

MarksReef
02/27/2002, 12:12 AM
the tank is 2+ years old we just moved it about 7 miles and I was told I wouldn't cycle from the move to i would. I just ran some tests and every thing is good so far. it has been set up for 24 hours here and every thing is doing good so far.
i lost 2 fish from the move 1 jumped ship in the car the other died right after I have 2 left that are eating and doing fine so far along with all the corels
how big is he ?

Gary Majchrzak
02/27/2002, 01:23 AM
_Shotgun_ , just out of curiosity,what was the fish doing to your clams?

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/27/2002, 09:35 AM
well he seems to enjoy clams mantels... will constantly pick at the clams mantel (not the shell will actually take nips out of the mantel)

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/27/2002, 09:38 AM
he's all yours zack if you wish..... just gotta setup a time :)

Gary Majchrzak
02/27/2002, 09:41 AM
I wrote Julian Sprung on this same issue 8 years ago.My letter and his reply is published in 'Reef Notes Vol. 4'.Suffice to say- the fish in this case is NOT harming your clam.He is eating the mucous that is on the clam's mantle.I kept my clam AND yellow zebrasoma together for many years after getting this reply from Sprung. Almost 9 years into reefkeeping I've discovered that almost ALL fish graze off of Tridacna mantles!

MarksReef
02/27/2002, 09:49 AM
you can call me at 585-247-2858

Chucker
02/27/2002, 02:08 PM
Gary- the problem with the tang nibbling the mantle isn't really with them eating tissue or mucus. The real issue is whether or not the clam is disturbed enough to stay closed for long periods during the hours that the tank is lit. Eventually, the clam may become nutrient starved since its zooxanthellae can't photosynthesize enough to keep up with the clam's energy budget.

Gary Majchrzak
02/27/2002, 02:21 PM
I agree, Chucker, but unless a fish is taking a nice CHOMP on the mantle the clam usually just flinches in a natural manner to a disturbance,and no major "clamming up" occurs.The yellow tangs smallish mouth and my past experience with this situation leads me to believe that no serious harm is being done if the fish is just nibbling at the mantles surface,which is very likely the case.However, if anyone's show-size Powder-blue tang is bothering their clam, I would be very happy to take it off their hands! :D

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/27/2002, 04:49 PM
Chucker is right the yellow would continue to pester the clam until it stayed closed for hours and does infact take chunks out of the mantel now and then.... im just not going to have it attacking a clam ... the atlantic blue is also much happier without the yellow stickin his tail in his face anymore.... :)

anyways he still needs a home... anyone?? soon its off to CF with him to get ripped off...

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/27/2002, 11:41 PM
if not itll be at CF this weekend

Gary Majchrzak
02/28/2002, 12:25 AM
I'm sorry you must get rid of your fish . One last suggestion - do you think heavier feedings would satisfy the yellow tangs cravings for clam chowder ...?

Chucker
02/28/2002, 07:40 AM
I think you're going about this the wrong way, Tim. Offer up a free clam, and keep the tang. :D :D

ReeferMac
02/28/2002, 07:55 AM
Gary - I've tried feeding the snot out of mine, since he started taking a liking to nipping at my Red and Green Open Brain... helps some, but just last night I was watching the tank... Brain was taking a poop, and as soon as he saw that brown stuff coming out, he started nipping at it. Got in the habit from me feeding the brain. He see's all that food just sitting there and can't help himself. Even with my Strawberry Basket protecting the coral, he knocks off any rocks I put up there, throws the basket out of the way, and starts manging on the contents of the brain's half digested weekly meal. He eats right through the brain's skin if it's half injested... I've even spotted him nipping at the tissue of the brain, day's after feeding.. you want him?

I like Chucker's idea best.. keep the tang, get rid of that clam ;-)

- Mac

_ShotgunShrimp_
02/28/2002, 11:26 PM
i re released the tang back to the tank ill keep a good eye on him and try to make the best of it... the 180 is going up in a month or two hopefully if winter really ends :) and if he is still and issue then ill havta get him a home then... but i think what gary said is true that it only is feeding of the slime and not meaning to hurt the clam in anyway.... so we shall see how it goes

mirski57
03/01/2002, 06:43 PM
I've got a 90 gallon setup for about a year and a half now. I only have 2 percula clowns, yellow tail damsel, strawberry pseudochromis, two shrimp. So I have plenty of room, if you're still edgy about keeping him in your tank. I can pick him up anytime, I'm right in Gates-Chili area.

_ShotgunShrimp_
03/03/2002, 09:51 PM
well so far so good he has picked lightly at the clam but no ill affects and ive watched closey i believe the clam is also getting used to it since it bairly flinches when he does it now but will slam shut if anything else even comes within a inch of it?? who knows maybee its some sort of symbiotic relationship????? :) oh well thanks for all the offers and help all :)