PDA

View Full Version : Saving copepods from bags

multi striped 12
09/16/2005, 08:00 PM
A negative side to using filter bags is trapping small critters...

Something I am doing now,is working well for me ..

I turn the bags inside out in a small pail then look for the critters
Then using your hany dandy critter sucker( AKA turkey baister)
you can target what you want to save with a little water and give them
a Busch gardens flume style or (Universal flume if you prefer) ride back into the tank .... I guess you could also target feed an open brain..But you might save that for a Friday night

I usually see about one per bag change

This hot topic should liven up the board for 30 seconds

jerrymlr1
09/16/2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by multi striped 12
This hot topic should liven up the board for 30 seconds [/B]
Ain't that the truth. If we don't settle down here we're probably gonna be in a lot of trouble.:D

multi striped 12
09/17/2005, 08:39 AM
Giving it more thought .. I don't think an open brain reacts quick unough to catch a live copepod..

myakkareef
09/19/2005, 03:16 PM
Do you have swish the bag or anything? Can you elaborate alittle more....

Agu
09/19/2005, 03:51 PM
When I tore down the failed seahorse tank everything was dumped in a shallow tub in the garage. In my zeal to save pods and worms I didn't even think about how it looked. So there I am scooping critters out of mucky water with a shot glass and dumping them into a beer glass when the Mrs walks in. She requested that the garage door be closed so the neighbors wouldn't see me :lol: .

jerrymlr1
09/19/2005, 06:29 PM
Is there any hope?.........................................

multi striped 12
09/19/2005, 07:36 PM
I don't squeeze all the water out of the bag when i take them out of the sump..then turn them inside out and swish and lift up and down and then
I look at the sides Larger ones will curl up and look like little specs on the bag I will then let them sit a while in the pail and sometimes one will fall that you don't see...even then I look more before flushing in the tub and will find one easy to see against the white tub .. those get picked up and put into the tank off my finger tip I'm not sure how they do.. most get eaten they float around trying not to attract attention untill they get near a rock

I'm sure I miss some but I think catching all the other stuff Keeping it out
of the tank is worth it...

Agu ..we understand