PDA

View Full Version : Bicolor Blenny

beetlejuice
02/26/2002, 04:06 PM
Anyone have one of these guys and a pic? What size tank do u have it in and what can u say about it?

chewie
02/26/2002, 04:15 PM
I used to have one in my 55. That was before I put corals in. I found a few threads that said blenny's might nip corals. If it is a FO tank then go for it. It was a very cool fish!!!

oceanjunkie
02/26/2002, 04:40 PM
I got one in a 28g. He's got lots of personality. He's got a hole that he's usually popping his head out of, and a sleeping hole. I put in a feather duster about a month ago, and I caught him picking at the tube a couple of times. The duster popped its capped and hasnt been seen now for 2 weeks. I have some LPS and he doesnt seem to bother/nip them at all. On more than one occasion, he has attacked my smaller clownfish, but usually they are friends. Guess he has some bad days, but for the most part he's pretty cool. Sorry no pic...yet
-JB

Deacon
02/26/2002, 06:02 PM
We've got one in a 125. I'd say its about 3 in. long now. It spends most of the time either perched on a rock or in its cave with its head sticking out watching whats going on in the tank.

Haven't seen it eat prepared foods for 4-5 months. It must be catching pods, etc. Cool fish.

It can certainly holds its own in the tank. There's a SLF crab that would jump at it occasionally. The blenny would turn around and bop the crab right between the eyes. Haven't seen them mix it up lately, so maybe the crab learned its lesson. The blenny hasn't touched to 'shrooms and polyps that we have it the tank.

Frisco
02/26/2002, 06:09 PM
[moved]

clutchcargo
02/26/2002, 11:15 PM
I've had one in my 10Gal for about 3 months now "Benny" (of course, what else). I've read that they can nip at corals but mine has been a model citizen. Maybe it's because I added the coral after the fish.
He always has a concerned look like he's the tank police. I've seen him go at the urchins when they got too close to his cave. They did turn around, btw.

hcs3
02/26/2002, 11:16 PM
http://www.fishbase.org/thumbnails/jpg/tn_Ecbic_u8.jpg

photo from fishbase

pretty much as people have already weighed in. i will add mine was evicted immediately after i caught it eating my red open brain.

HTH

henry

Deacon
02/27/2002, 09:56 AM
clutchcargo,

Great pic! Did you take that one yourself? What equipment did you use? Thanks.

DukeDog
02/27/2002, 09:55 PM
Here's my little guy :D He's in my 125 and hasnt bothered any corals so far.
Jeff