PDA

View Full Version : playing chess with my maroon clown

tang named junkyard
02/25/2002, 11:29 PM
I recently started a dsb and my maroon cown keeps waving his tail in the sand trying to make deep holes. I try and place little pieces of coral where he does this but he seriously is trying to outsmart me and just does it around the little rocks. Any ideas guys?

BiGBOi
02/25/2002, 11:39 PM
Cyanide :smokin: J/K

cal3v
02/25/2002, 11:41 PM
Does he have an anemone? If not he is most likely making a "ditch" so to speak that will considered his home/territory. Can't do much about it.

Rock Anemone
02/26/2002, 12:01 AM
I would get him an anemone, torch, or hammer, because seriuosly i think he is trying to dig his own grave lol
clownfish: "Help me!"

tang named junkyard
02/26/2002, 12:34 AM
I think i could beat him up if he would come to the surface. Other wise this game of chess and Its just beginning!!! lol Wave your little fins baby its on..haha.

dc
02/26/2002, 12:42 AM
Get use to it!:D Mine has 2 Bubble corals and she still does it. She goes so far as to follow me around the tank when I'm trying to look and kicks it up wherever I am. When I actually played that game, she just started picking up the pieces and tossing them aside.

maroon clown 05
02/26/2002, 12:55 AM
yeah mine does that too- its found a spot behind all the rocks to dig and hide in

tang named junkyard
02/26/2002, 01:17 AM
you can tell toms tought with his 'tude in this pic. This isnt the first time he's out witted me.

Post your clowns. Be cool to see them.

tang named junkyard
02/26/2002, 01:24 AM
isuck

Shooter9er
02/26/2002, 03:42 AM
Join the club, my clown has been doing this for a while I think she wants a host. I am just afraid to put an anenome in my tank, I would love to put a carpet in but don't think the maroon will take to it. What do you guys recommend for a maroon? Thanks

jtjimbo
02/26/2002, 05:29 AM
My female fire clown has been doing this for quite some time so I got her an anemone hoping that she would stop but no luck.

karlas
02/26/2002, 05:49 AM
both my clowns do that after the lights go out. they go to the bottom, sit in one spot and just fan their tails in the morinin when i turn on the light there is usually a deep hole there. i fill it in but the next night they pick a different spot and do the same thing. i thought maby a host would stop this also (didnt get one yet)

Region 4
02/26/2002, 07:09 AM
Having an anemone is unlikely to make any difference -- my Maroons have one and the female digs just the same. It's just a form of housekeeping IMO.

Shooter9er, the natural host anemone for Maroons is a BTA.

Colin
02/26/2002, 07:21 AM
Yep, Maroon's love them some bubble tips. :D And it doesn't make any difference, they'll still dig holes even with a host.

--Colin

Colin
02/26/2002, 07:30 AM
And here's a pic of mine.

dendronepthya
02/26/2002, 09:35 AM
What is the problem with the clown digging? Lots of fish dig.

rededteck
02/26/2002, 10:16 AM
Believe it or not I have a maroon and a sebae clown in my 220 reef. They both do this periodically. I have been unsuccessful in keeping anemones but they have both taken to my leather toadstool corals, they sleep in there at night.

newreefman1
02/26/2002, 11:34 AM
http://members.cox.net/jasonco6/DVC00077

My anemone does this all the time. Had em together with the hadooni carpet for over 3 years..Theres always a ditch in front of the anemone and any corals placed in front of the anemone get knocked down(No matter how large) by the clownfish.

My favs of the tank though. :)

J

Dakna
02/26/2002, 11:50 AM
Funny, I was on may way to post the exact same question when I saw the Chess thread, I figured it had to be the same thing. Mine just started doing this in the extreme about three weeks ago. Maybe a time frame that they do it more often?
The ditch is huge in my 20. almost to the bottom of the tank now, I was gonna fill it in, but I figured he would just do it again. I am glad now that I left...nature surprises me everyday, wonder if my Clown will start cooking next? Alfredo sounds good...

Dakna
02/26/2002, 12:12 PM
OH...Here is my MSC

YoHo
02/26/2002, 01:02 PM
My Maroon Does this. I also had a Large Neon Damsel that did this. He would actually send Sand shooting to the top of the 110gallon he was in.

Best to just let them do it.

tang named junkyard
02/26/2002, 03:05 PM
I woke up this morning to find sand on the top of my liverock after he had kicked it up into the powerheads. He basically looked at me this morning and said,"I don't care how many posts you put on Reef Central, Im gonna send sand everywhere wheather you like it or not. Deal with it!" So I humbly accepted my fate. he's lucky I like him so much.

Cool pics guys! Is a toadstool a softie or a shroom? Has anyone tried this. I heard that if you get a pic of your clown in a coral or and annome and tape it to the glass, they sometimes start doing it?

Wolverine
02/26/2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by tang named junkyard
I think i could beat him up if he would come to the surface. Other wise this game of chess and Its just beginning!!! lol Wave your little fins baby its on..haha.

Just wait for her to grow up a little and get more aggressive, then she'll come up to fight you any time you come near the tank, and she'll attack your hand if you put it in. Maroon clown bites don't hurt much (except when they break skin, and your hand is still in the water), but they will startle you if you're not looking for it.

Dave

Scrooge
02/26/2002, 03:59 PM
My Maroon started out as a nice fish. Then, he developed a taste for human flesh! Then, he decided that one third of the tank, right in the middle, was all his. Any coral placed in this area was attacked and bulldozed away. My wife actually got a kick out of this and we placed a small Chilli coral right in the middle of his spot about 20 times over the course of an hour just to watch him :) Then, he started with the sand flinging, stirring it with his tail almost contstantly. My entire tank was always full of floating sand. After a couple of weeks of this he made the trip back to the LFS and is probably torturing someone else now.

By the way, I tried several things to stop the sand stirring. Filling the hole, not filling the hole, placing rocks in the way, moving things around, etc. He had actually taken a couple of different corals for hosts (and even a clam) before this, but seemed to have finally decided he just wanted to spend all of his time playing in the sand.

dc
02/26/2002, 04:31 PM
Caught in the act!!!
http://images.fotki.com/v2/photos/2/28482/68928/Clownfanning-vi.jpg?1009931214

tang named junkyard
02/26/2002, 04:34 PM
well I'm glad I'm not the only one

karlas
02/27/2002, 12:18 AM
hew newreefman1 is that a black and white percula? or somtin else