PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a really stupid question...

innomen/dennis`
02/25/2002, 03:50 PM
Is it feasible to go to the beach, perhaps down the cape (a decent beach) to get some sand for the tank? I realize it will not be sterile, but how sterile is the rock that we put in the tank? What if i rinse it thoroughly? :rolleyes:

stevescg
02/25/2002, 04:42 PM
I used sand from Duxbury beach,thouroughly washed, to fill my refugium( 6" deep). Its very dark compared to southdown. At 4 mos old its loaded with critters(mostly Gammarus shrimp). In the future I will remove the beach sand and refill it with DIY miracle mud. I'm having trouble growing caulerpa, not sure if the problem is sand related.

Vilas
02/26/2002, 07:34 AM
The theoretical problem is that it's sillicon based sand, not the calcium based sand found in natural reefs. To test a sand, drop it in some vinegar. If it fizzes, it's got calcium at least. That said, these days, people are sometimes using silicon sand, and saying it's just fine. The idea was that silicates cause algae blooms, so silicon sand would, but that's questionable.
The other problem with using local anything is that you're introducing organisms from cold water. Sure, most of it will just die, but theoretically, a certain critter/bacteria/whatever that's otherwise kept in check could run rampant. I personally do go to local beaches and collect shells for my hermit crabs, for fragging, whatever, but I boil them first. Can't hurt..
So, there are the arguments against it. I personally don't know how much heed I pay them, as so many people have weighed in on both sides, but since we live in a region where southdown is available, I just used that.
C