PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Store or no?

UnderwaterExotic
09/09/2005, 12:53 PM
Could you guys really use a kick a$$ aquarium store up there or do you have one? Me and my wife have been thinking about moving up into the Blue Ridge area and are thinking about opening a store up? Is there much competiotion or no? We are just sick of liveing on the beach and want to move back to where she is from!

Wesley B
09/10/2005, 03:57 PM
hey chris hows it going. im living up in dalton going to school. From what ive seen up in chattanooga there is not a lot of competition. All the stores ive been in their prices are rediculous and all there tanks don't look very good. I can't find much sps either around here. Stay in touch if u end up moving up here.

wes

RevHtree
09/10/2005, 05:32 PM
Ya we def need a store that deals more in corals....sps..ect...

I would like to see a great store with decent prices come to town. I think you could give many people a run for their money.

SITNLOWDOWN
09/11/2005, 05:52 PM
we need a new store lol dang one store up here trys to rape you

bkv1997
09/11/2005, 08:29 PM
just to give you an idea of how bad it is.

xenia frag $110

Candy coral 3 head frag $35

Most fish are 59 plus

Pair of clowns 120...

Yea a good store with decent prices would rack up.

Hope to see you opening soon.

UnderwaterExotic
09/11/2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah see, this would be a side job too, that my wife would run during the day, so i wouldnt be out to screw people over. You know make me a little extra cash but at the same time, do what we all love to do, meet people and just have fun doing it! Put it this way. I have frags right now that i sell, i sell xenia for $5.OO/FRAG. Huge pieces of Montipora Cap and Digi for 25-40$ a piece. The 40$ frags are usually monti cap and usually bigger than your hand!!! We started breeding clowns but i have sold all my stuff, cause we dont know what we are doing yet! The only store i went in up there was in Blue Ridge, GA. They had about 400 gallons of saltwater. very few corals. When we start we are going to try to do about 5,000 gallon of saltwater. And about 2000 gallons for coral. Not including what i grow out at my house.l I will keep you all updated on the situation. Its just a job thing right now. I have a killer job here right now, but that dosent say that i cant transfer to a copany up there! Feel free to ask questions, cause i am sure i will ask you all questions as time goes on. Thanks guys for the input!! Chris

UnderwaterExotic
09/11/2005, 09:35 PM
Another thing i was thinking about too, maybe you would know too Wes, Is there much demand for a store like that around there. Do you have alot of people that are into reefing and in general the marine hobby?

SITNLOWDOWN
09/12/2005, 07:27 AM
build one in chattanooga its self lol

SITNLOWDOWN
09/12/2005, 07:29 AM
fort oglethorpe ga would be a good location and brainard would be also sowhere near interstate would make you all kinds of money

RCS
09/14/2005, 01:49 PM
Personally, I'm not sure if Chattanooga and the surrounding area could support a store of that size. Utilities alone would be a monstrous expense, and population isn't really all that large when considering a metro area. While I do believe every area needs a sweet saltwater store, you'd have to consider why it doesn't currently...

Generally, you're going to need to triple or quadruple what you currently sell your stuff for, just to stay afloat. There are some ways to get around this a little bit, such as a cheaper location, but it's also not usually an ideal location. While a saltwater shop is a destination retailer, it should still be in a good location for people to visit, rather than too out-of-the-way.

Atlanta already has a few good shops, so the bulk of your customer base is going to be local (Chattanooga, Cleveland, etc.). I would check out some of the other local stores to see what your competition is:

-Bermuda Triangle
-Michael's Aquatic Den
-Marine Wildlife

Maybe some of the more local people can fill you in on some more details.

SITNLOWDOWN
09/15/2005, 10:48 AM
Bermuda Triangle
would shut down if you built a store nicer than theres with better prices trust me but you would have to be close to them to make it happens plus we have tons of people in north ga and north alabama come up here plus big frag swaps you would shuit a bunch of people down trust me and yes chattanooga will sapport it trust me as long as prices are good

maleficent2
09/21/2005, 08:45 AM
-Bermuda Triangle
-Michael's Aquatic Den
-Marine Wildlife

If you are talking Chattanooga Stores it is Aquatic Wildlife and where is Michael's Aquatic Den????

I am new to this hobby and have never heard of them...I am in North Chat

Oh and Why oh Why OP would you want to leave Beaufort??? A hunting Island hermit is what got us into SaltWater 2 months ago...LOL DS brought it home in his shells

I would trade places with you in a heartbeat.;)

Mal

bkv1997
09/21/2005, 08:47 AM
micheals is in cleveland.

Aquatic wildlife is on 153 by walmart.

maleficent2
09/21/2005, 08:50 AM
Aquatics is where I shop every week.

Thanks for the location on Michaels is it worth the drive? and where in Cleveland?

bkv1997
09/21/2005, 09:14 AM
I haven't made it myself yets so not sure, but i have been wanting to go.... only heard good things, but its a 10-20 minute drive.

RevHtree
09/21/2005, 11:55 AM
I hear he has a good selection of sps, and his prices are not bad.

SITNLOWDOWN
09/21/2005, 02:44 PM
i wouldnt mind going there

UnderwaterExotic
09/21/2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by maleficent2
-Bermuda Triangle
-Michael's Aquatic Den
-Marine Wildlife

If you are talking Chattanooga Stores it is Aquatic Wildlife and where is Michael's Aquatic Den????

I am new to this hobby and have never heard of them...I am in North Chat

Oh and Why oh Why OP would you want to leave Beaufort??? A hunting Island hermit is what got us into SaltWater 2 months ago...LOL DS brought it home in his shells

I would trade places with you in a heartbeat.;)

Mal

Sounds good trade up! Why do you like it so much here! I HATE IT!!

maleficent2
09/21/2005, 09:47 PM
Just do I love the beach and the Mountains are not far away.....but then again I do not have to live there so maybe that is the difference ;)

Mal

RCS
09/28/2005, 12:02 PM
would shut down if you built a store nicer than theres with better prices trust me but you would have to be close to them to make it happens plus we have tons of people in north ga and north alabama come up here plus big frag swaps you would shuit a bunch of people down trust me and yes chattanooga will sapport it trust me as long as prices are good

LOL, you make it sound so simple. "Good" prices are next to impossible with a physical store, especially when you take into account overhead, utilities, losses, returns, etc. It's a virtual impossibility to be even competitive with online stores in most cases and still be able to retain high quality standards.

UnderwaterExotic
09/28/2005, 06:54 PM
Change of plans, got a better job offer and i am moving. Not to CHatt though. Sorry guys!

SITNLOWDOWN
10/05/2005, 09:24 AM
dang man dang