PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon - Fish Recommendations

Rich30
02/24/2002, 01:26 AM
I've been in the hobby about 6 years and have always set up my 90 gallon as a fish only or fish only with live rock (moved 3 times, set up 3 times). I've usually kept about 8 fish, from small angels and butterflies to dwarf lions, snowflake morays, and porcupine puffers (ALMOST always sold them back to the store when I moved--have never had trouble keeping any of the above healthy). Anyway, I'm thinking about going with larger fish and just having about 4 in the aquarium. Dimensions are 72"x12"x24". I currently have a huma trigger (about 3.5") and know I'm going to want a volitan lion and porcupine puffer. Any suggestions for the fourth addition? I'm going to steer clear of eels. I've considered a grouper but have very little knowledge about them. Have also considered a decent sized wrass (maybe a green bird), but they've irritated me before with the speed in which they eat the food meant for others. :) Also, should I add the lion last? I've only kept dwarfs and it's a bit of a concern of mine that I may get a volitan that will grow too quickly and end up eyeing the trigger though I'm guessing it's as likely the trigger may pick at the lion. Anyone have a similar setup with pics? I know 4 fish doesn't sound like much, but I think the aquarium will look nice once they've all grown a bit. Sorry for the length of the post, but I'm a learn before I leap kind of guy and don't want to buy something that I then regret. Thanks for any help.

Rich30
02/25/2002, 09:37 PM
I haven't received any suggestions and already have another question. :) Would a dragon wrasse be a suitable fish to have with the others? I've heard some can be terrors. This one seems peaceful at the store (if that means anything). If I go with a dragon wrasse should it be left 'til last or could it be put in now? Thanks for any suggestions.

FMarini
02/25/2002, 10:30 PM
Rich:
So why its this new tank so skinny? My concerns is that most of these fish you're loking at w/ feel very cramped in a tank this skinny. An adult volitans will reach adult size in 1.5yr and will will not be able to turn in a tank this small. If you think about a 180 6ft X 2ft sq. This is perfect size for the fish you mention.
groupers are fine, they tend to be very lethgaric and grow very quickly (do a search for groupers in this forum as it was dicussed w/in the past 5days) . Wrasses, try a harelquin tusk, they will get along great, are very active, and colorful.
To me it doesn't matter the order as long as all are small. The volitan and grouper will outgrow the other fish, and make them food, so plan accordingly.

Next triggers. Let me say all triggers are individuals, you might get a nice one and you might get the devils spawn. I have seen trigger shred lionfish's fins, and seen triggers dismember other large fish. I have also seen an equal number of triggers co-habitate w/ the fish you list quite nicely. While your picking a fish which has decent habits all generalities are off w/ triggers (except bluecheeks, nigers, pinktailed, etc)

Lastly, the dragon wrasse, its a cool fish, but i have never seen one big enuf to prevent it from being eaten from even the smallest lionfish.
Remember once you choose either a lionfish or grouper all other fish HAVE to be too big to eat, else they will become food.
Pretty simple
good luck
frank