PDA

View Full Version : Dubbin1

Andrew
09/05/2005, 04:04 PM
What kind of light do you have over your fuge? Where did you purchace it? I need a good grow light for over my fuge.

jenghes
09/05/2005, 05:24 PM
I got the melev light - Home Depot (I think). It works great for my chaeto.

http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

Jen

Dubbin1
09/05/2005, 07:51 PM
Well I now have a 36" VHO over it. The picture shows the lamp that I got from home depot, same thing as Jen just posted. I never had any luck with it as all my macro dies off pretty fast.

jenghes
09/05/2005, 08:10 PM
both chaeto and caleurpa grow like mad for me. Strange that the same light reacts differently. I'd try it if I were in your shoes, it is the cheap way to go. If it doesn't work, then go for a more expensive set up.

Jen

Dubbin1
09/05/2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by tjghes
both chaeto and caleurpa grow like mad for me. Strange that the same light reacts differently. I'd try it if I were in your shoes, it is the cheap way to go. If it doesn't work, then go for a more expensive set up.

Jen
I have no idea why I have that problem. Most people have nothing but good luck with that light.

ohioreef
09/06/2005, 10:56 AM
You have to be careful. The light that HD sells at the stores is not the same one that Melev had good luck with. The company has changed the K rating. I have had decent luck with one of the "curly Q" bulbs from HD that is 6500K.

jenghes
09/06/2005, 10:59 AM
You are right, I bought a stock some time ago with the right K rating, they have since changed it. Read Melev's whole light page, he recommends where to order it online. Perhaps this is why Dubbin's is not working.

Jen

Dubbin1
09/06/2005, 11:28 AM
That could be the problem. I'll have to look into it a little more because I really don't think that I need 192w of light over my fug :)
The model number on the bulb I have is EDXR-38-19 Anyone care to check that with what they have?

jenghes
09/06/2005, 11:49 AM
I don't know, I no longer have the packaging.

At the bottom of Melev's site (attached above) is his detail as to how to get the bulb now.

selgado
09/06/2005, 01:27 PM
A lot of times the kelvin rating or other ID #'s is printed right on the bulb.

Andrew
09/06/2005, 02:00 PM
Would pc lights work for over a fuge? I have a 65 watt pc unit in storage I can use.

ohioreef
09/06/2005, 02:07 PM
Should as long as you have the appropriate bulbs.

Andrew
09/06/2005, 02:09 PM
Its a 50/50 bulb.

jenghes
09/06/2005, 02:12 PM
I'd have to look if the bulb is marked at home. I don't know from here.

Andrew
09/06/2005, 02:51 PM
sump and fuge. Still looking to buy some cheapo. May be making a trip to Gerbers.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Evanish/sumpfuge.jpg

Andrew
09/06/2005, 03:21 PM
Then heres a bad picture of my reef. Took it with the web cam so poor quality. Hopefully Ill have my camera back by Friday. Im in need of frags. Everything is going good with the tank now. Got rid of the red algea problem with r/o water and got a good skimmer that pulls anywhere from 1/2 cup to a full cup a day. Only lost one chromis cause the two larger ones killed him but I haven't had any problems with corals dieing or closing up for a day.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Evanish/tank.jpg

Dubbin1
09/06/2005, 03:31 PM
Yes it should be on the back of the bulb in little tiny faded out letters that you can hardly read :)

ohioreef
09/06/2005, 03:36 PM
Not always. I've looked through the bulbs at wally world and most of them do NOT have the Kelvin rating on them.

What kind of skimmer is that, Andrew?

ohioreef
09/06/2005, 03:37 PM
Andrew,

If you're needing chaeto, I could probably spare some.

Andrew
09/06/2005, 03:40 PM
I can't figure out what kind it is. I got it Paul. (pferboy) Im thinking about getting a Red Sea Berlin Turbo XL Skimmer too for the tank. Really keep it clean. I plan on adding a 55 sump to it. and get rid of the 10 gallon.

- How much cheato do you have? Ive been thinking about going down to Jacks this weekend to get a goby and some more snails.

selgado
09/06/2005, 03:52 PM

'From here' as in you are surfing RC from work? tsch, tsch, tsch! http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74025no_no.gif

Dubbin1
09/06/2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ohioreefer
Not always. I've looked through the bulbs at wally world and most of them do NOT have the Kelvin rating on them.
I am talking about the part number NOT the K rating

selgado
09/06/2005, 04:25 PM
I use the Lights of America flood light unit. It gives me awesome growth. It is rated at 6500k daylight. I'll post a picture of the box when my batteries are done charging.

If you've ever gone into Gary's and seen his 10 gallon 'saltwater plant' tank completely filled with the macro show below, it was probably from me.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74025mini-P1011414.JPG

weimers75
09/06/2005, 04:45 PM
Someone asked earlier, but I didn't really see an answer. What bulbs would work for PC fixtures for a fuge? I have 10,000K, actinic, and 50'50's. What type works best?

selgado
09/06/2005, 04:52 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but plants take best advantage of color spectrums and intensities closest to that of daylight - between 6500k and 10000k. As a matter of fact out of curiousity, I put a small strand of the macro you see above in my main display, under 300 watts (10000 k) of metal halide. The stuff absolutely exploded, thank God removing the stuff is very easy.

selgado
09/06/2005, 05:27 PM
OK here's a couple of pictures of my refugium light. The box says it uses 65 watts and is equivalent to 500 watts of output. I dunno, but i know its helluva bright. I bought the actual fixture which comes with the bulb to help contain it's brightness and direct it downward into the fuge. All you have to add is a pig-tail electric cord to plug it into the wall. I believe the bulb's electronic ballast is actually built into the bulb, so I you should be able to just buy the bulb if you don't want to get the whole fixture. You're going to have to investigate that one, though, don't take my word for it. Oh and all together it cost me $36 and some change.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74025mini-P9060005.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74025mini-P9060004.JPG

ohioreef
09/07/2005, 04:14 AM
Cool light. How warm does it get?

Andrew
09/07/2005, 02:39 PM
I just don't want anything thats going to cause a blum of light in my room. Would a 150 watt one work?

selgado
09/07/2005, 05:34 PM
ohioreefer- It does get pretty warm to the touch, but doesn't emit any perceptible warmth to the stand area of my tank. I first learned about it here on reefcentral. If you do a search on 'lights of america' or 'flourex' you should get some more info.

Andrew- I do get some light out the back of my stand because it is open, but it isn't obnoxiously bright because most of the light is focused down into the refugium. It isn't any more than I get from the back of my canopy with my MH's.

Andrew
09/07/2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks. Where do they sell them?

selgado
09/07/2005, 05:39 PM
I got mine at Home Depot. If you pick one up make sure it says on the box 'daylight 6500k.' I don't know how many different models they sell. Oh and I just saw your other question. I'm not familiar with the 150 watt model.

Andrew
09/07/2005, 05:43 PM
Once I get my camera Ill take a picture of it. I think its just a flood light also. I made a mount for it last year and never used it.

ScooterGuitar
09/07/2005, 06:54 PM
I use the Melev bulb, but found mine at Menards, some of theirs have the K rating on the package, some don't. Greta luck close ot a year with it: Chaeto, various others including a rapid growth of sea lettuce! The lettuce as about the size of a pencil eraser, now grows thick!

hllywd
09/07/2005, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by selgado
[B]OK here's a couple of pictures of my refugium light. The box says it uses 65 watts and is equivalent to 500 watts of output. I dunno, but i know its helluva bright. I bought the actual fixture which comes with the bulb to help contain it's brightness and direct it downward into the fuge. All you have to add is a pig-tail electric cord to plug it into the wall. I believe the bulb's electronic ballast is actually built into the bulb, so I you should be able to just buy the bulb if you don't want to get the whole fixture. You're going to have to investigate that one, though, don't take my word for it. Oh and all together it cost me $36 and some change.

I have the exact LOA light in a "work light" configuration that came from a national, big box, non union, discount, retail giant...
It was about 40 bucks. The ballast is NOT in the bulb and after a few months of daily timer use there was a burning odor and the light continuously began to flash off and on. Inside the fixture on the electronic board a capacitor had exploded which I replaced and the light works again although I no longer have it in aquarium use.
The work light already has a cord with plug attached and bracket that can be modded for different applications. I did have decent coraline growth in my sump with this light.

Andrew
09/11/2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ohioreefer

What kind of skimmer is that, Andrew?

Got the webcame back out. This skimmer is a killer. Pulled this Friday and Saturday. I should have my camera back monday or tuesday so ill take updated pictures of the fuge and tank.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Evanish/Snap.jpg