PDA

View Full Version : two wrasses?

RooFish
02/23/2002, 05:36 PM
Can you put two wrasses in the same tank, or will they fight? I have a small six line wrasse and at the LFS there is a cool "fairy wrasse." I looked at the fairy wrasses and he looked like a social fairy wrasse without the long filament like top fin. It was in Axelrod and Burgesses mini atlas of marine fishes. There wasn't much information about them though, only that they only got 3 inches, a little smaller than the six line as said to in the same book. I checked fishbase.org and there was nothing on this kind that I found. So, does anyone have anymore information on them, and can I put those two together?

Pomacanthus1
02/23/2002, 05:51 PM
They will almost definately fight. I wouldn't risk it.

reefbuilder
02/23/2002, 05:55 PM
I have had two wrasses in my tank for about a year and no problem. I put them in about two months apart from each other. One is a blue bird and the other a rainbow. That being said, I was told I might have trouble when I bought the second one. They are about 5" long and the tank is a 150. I have also been told, odd numbers only, like tangs. Good luck.

RooFish
02/23/2002, 06:05 PM
Maybe I won't, I don't want it to die or anything. I just want another fish to go with my six line, and the cardinalfish I pu in was attacked by something, I don't know what, and died the next day. I would assume it was the wrasse, but the same thing happened before to a firefish, and I got rid of the damsel that was in there. The only other things big enough to do damage are a CB shrimp and a Mythrax crab. Any ideas for a new fish?

Flameangel
02/24/2002, 11:29 AM
I wonder what is killing your fish??? My sixline was a fairly peaceful active fish and could not have killed anything. Maybe you have a pest, like a mantis shrimp???? If you have LR, it would be worth a good look late at night for a mantis.

Unfortunatily, my sixline jumped from my tank about 5 months ago. I had never had a fish to this before! I had him for almost 5 years.........

I replaced him with an ornate wrasse. After 4 months it went MIA. I assumed he had jumped, as well, so after I replaced him with a choat's wrasse. As luck would have it, my ornate wrasse showed up two weeks later in my refugium!!! So now I have an ornate and choat wrasse living together without a problem!

Wrasses are a very board group of fish with very different personalities and sizes.

Good luck,
Connie

acrophoria
02/24/2002, 11:40 AM
i keep a solar fairy, with a a lineatus fairy,an ornatus wrasse,had a six line but i fished him out(bothering my shrimps)and have had zero problemos.fairys are very docile they will eat out of your hand,and spend almost all day in the top of the tank in veiw,i had a scotts fairy that i donated to my lfs yesterday(it was a female,bad online purchace)these fish all got along great,i have seen other tanks the same way(more than one wrasse):D

Frisco
02/24/2002, 01:04 PM
Moved to the Reef Fish forum

hcs3
02/24/2002, 01:35 PM
depending on species, wrasses can be mixed rather successfully.

fairy wrasses are extremely tolerant of other wrasses species. i doubt you'll get any aggression from the fairy.

6 lines can be a PITA. some are tolerant, while most are pugnacious little jerks. 6 lines are my least favorite wrasse due to their personality.

if your gonna have any problems mixing these wrasses, i'm sure it will come from your 6 line.

HTH

henry

RooFish
02/24/2002, 08:35 PM
I've watched at night and nothing came up that I didn't put in, except one large bristle worm and some pods, but my wrasse and shrimp have taken care of most of them. And since my damsel who was evil and my wrasse were both fine (I got rid of the damsel but the wrasse is still fine) and it was only peacefulish fish that died I doubt theres any bad stuff. One of my friends suggested clowns, since they can be agressive, but I don't want them to hurt my hammer coral. I might just get the fairy wrasse and watch them at the begining, since they should show some aggression right off, right? Or should I not risk it? I dunno, he's just so cool, but I don't want to get rid of my 6 line or have him die.

aLittletank
02/24/2002, 09:02 PM
I would think that in this case "size does matter" ;)

the bigger the tank the better the chance of keeping these guys together.

to all those that responded that you have seen no problems what size are your tanks

would you recommend those same fish for a 30 gallon?

thanks
Allen

aLittletank
02/24/2002, 09:08 PM
after checking your profiles it seems that 55g 75g 150g 175g were all the tanks housing 2 wrasses.

hcs3 how big is yours? (tank with wrasses)

Allen

hcs3
02/25/2002, 01:04 AM
hcs3 how big is yours?

this is still a reef BB, right? :o

my largest tank is a 75g. this is the only tank i use for permanent keeping of my leopard wrasses. i use a 29g refugium for temporary keeping of new arrivals. i would consider a 30g tank marginally adequate for the smallest wrasses. if there is more than one wrasse, hopefully it is a mated pair.

HTH

henry

RooFish
02/25/2002, 04:13 PM
Okay, so probably not another wrasse. How about a royal gramma? Are they meanish enough to keep the wrasse off of them, but not enough to kill him? Maybe I should just ditch the wrasse, and get the new one and a pair of percs or something. I just really want to have more than just the wrasse.

hcs3
02/26/2002, 08:23 PM
if your positive you want two wrasses, do they need to be different species? the reason why i ask is a pair of c. lubbocki would do fine in a 30g tank. or a pair of paracheilinus sp.

yes, a royal gramma should be able to defend itself agaisnt a 6 line wrasse, and yet not attack and kill it.

HTH

henry