PDA

View Full Version : Breeding grammas

Gamera
02/23/2002, 03:37 PM
Just curious if captive breeding notes have been published regarding breeding royal grammas or any of the basslets.

I'm interested in picking up either a pair of royal grammas or swissguards. I've read it's best to keep one male and a either one or two females, and I'm curious what my chances are for actually breeding them if I can find a male and a female.

:confused:

rlp
02/24/2002, 09:46 AM
Gramma loreto spawnings are documented here: www.breeders-registry.gen.ca.us

OrionN
02/24/2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Gamera
Just curious if captive breeding notes have been published regarding breeding royal grammas or any of the basslets.

I'm interested in picking up either a pair of royal grammas or swissguards. I've read it's best to keep one male and a either one or two females, and I'm curious what my chances are for actually breeding them if I can find a male and a female.

:confused:
Gramma loreto can easily spawn in usual home reef aquarium. Although I never able to find it publish anywhere, I think Gramma loreto changes sex. The most dominant fish become male while the rest are females. Just get three Royal Gramma in a reasonable size aquarium with one much larger than the other two, you will end up with a breeding trio.

OrionN
02/24/2002, 10:47 PM
I did some search and confirm that Royal Gramma do change sex. Below is an article that seems to indicated that juveniles Royal Gramma are bisexual (from the title.) I have not read it yet and don’t think that I can get a copy of this article.
Asoh, K. and D. Shapiro, 1997. Bisexual juvenile gonad and gonochorism in the fairy basslet, Gramma loreto. Copeia 1997(1):22-31.
Frank, perhaps living in Houston you may be able to obtain a copy of this article. I suspected that this is the case for a long time but not able to confirm this.