PDA

View Full Version : HELP,need some pricing info for selling used equpiment.

delock
02/23/2002, 09:41 AM
I have currently the following items for sale need price sugestion for them since I will not used them.

1). 2 400 watts mh pendents with ballast and bulbs. One of the bulbs look new but will not fire up. The bulbs are blueline 400 watts 10 with a 07/01 and 04/01 date stamp. both have remote wire ballast.

2). 400 watt enclosure with two plugs for power compacts bulbs. There is also a fan and glass shield. come with remote wire ballast.

3.) mak 4 pump good condition

4.) little gaint 3-mdqs-c pump good condition

5.) two icecap 430 and 2 end caps set with one actinic and one 10 k bulb. (5 feet).

Before I list it I'm trying to get some suggestion on what I should ask for!!!

Delock

ChrisIsBored
02/23/2002, 10:56 AM
I would start at 20% off their retail counterparts. Of course if the item is in poor condition... well.. just depends on the condition...

mbarta
02/23/2002, 11:56 AM
Let me know how much you decide on the IceCaps

Thanks
Michael

kenashman
02/23/2002, 02:01 PM
There isn't a chance in the world I'd buy USED equipment for 80% of the full retail price -- geez, you can find NEW stuff on sale for that much off -- no to mention there are pretty wide differences in cost for the exact same items, depending simply on where you buy them!
If you can get someone to pay you that much, more power to you, but not me! For that small difference, I'd choose new every time. (More so when we are talking about stuff that wears out over time!)

delock
02/23/2002, 05:38 PM
kenashman

I would never try to get 80% of retail. I was just trying to see what is fair market value. Most of this stuff is new to me as it came with a setup I brought from a lfs. I have no need for it so thats why I post on here for some help.

Delock

JBIT
02/23/2002, 05:54 PM
First of all, it doesn't matter what you paid for something; your mak 4 pump for example. What matters is how cheaply someone can buy a new mak 4 pump today. Take a look at some websites. See the cheapest price. No one is going to buy your pump if they can get a new one for near the same $$. Put yourself in the buyers shoes. Imagine you need a pump and someone comes along and offers you a mak 4 in the same condition yours is in. How much would you pay for it? That would be a good asking price. Several places offer free shipping too, so that is also something to consider when setting your price. That said, you can always start high and lower your price. You can't start low and raise it!! Let me know when you decide on your prices, I might be interested in some of the items!!

biggdriver
02/23/2002, 06:14 PM
60% of retail would be a good start.I used to work at a retail fish store and you are gettin a fair price that way..That is about what we would re-sell something for..If it's in good condition that is

SeaMac
02/24/2002, 01:58 AM
I usually try to sell my stuff at 2/3 to 3/4 of the original price...depending on age, condition, whether the item is high-end or low-end to begin with, etc.

Good luck! :D
Chris

dattack
02/24/2002, 03:45 AM
Reefcentral members get an additional 25% discount added on the the asking price, right?
:D

kenashman
02/24/2002, 11:37 AM
Now yer talkin' Dattack! Isn't that the way it ALWAYS is, the person selling used stuff wants as close to retail as they can get, and the person buying wants to pay as little as possible? I think the only way to get a good price of resale of used equipment is to set your prices carefully, and then stick to your guns. It may take a while for the stuff to sell, but if your price is in line, when the right person comes along, they'll buy it. Cours, it could take a LONG while, too -- you really can't know till you try.

Fahaka
02/24/2002, 12:00 PM
I sold used equipment for years at my store and the things sold really well as long as they were about half of normal retail. Any higher and stuff would just sit there.

Figure $160.00 for the used 400watt pendant, but you won't get that for the broken one. Figure $100.00 for the unit that isn't working

If the pc unit is what I think it is (a 4X96W fixture), I'd say about $150.00 depending on the length though

$100.00 is a fair price for the 3-mdq

for the rest I'm not real familiar with mak pumps and ice cap balasts, just figure half of what they cost new and you'll sell them quick.

Frisco
02/24/2002, 12:02 PM
Moved to the appropriate forum