PDA

View Full Version : small fish for 125

Freckles
02/23/2002, 03:09 AM
I'm maybe thinking of taking my remaing tang back to the fish store ...... but, am not absolutely sure yet. I've got the yellow tang (3"), a tank-raised clown, and a blue damselfish. What are some colorful, small fish for my 125? I'm looking for fish that will stay within the 3-5" range ...... I like the fire gobies, the royal or strawberry gamma, things that are small and colorful. I kind of like the look of the pajama cardinal, too.

thank you!:strooper:

Impaler
02/23/2002, 07:29 AM
Some people look for color, and some look for character.

Neither are wrong or right; it is simply what suits you.

Myself, I prefer character over sheer beauty. But, in the size range you have, and the blue damsel you're keeping(??why??), I'll recommend a Lawnmower Blenny. They're all character and curiosity. Even if they are stupid, I can hand feed both of mine. They are also a fish that won't take any **** from the other fish you have. Mine will readily defend themselves against attack from jawfish/dottyback's insults. I will recommend you get an adult. An adult lawnmower will be more adept at defending itself. If you get a baby, the other fish will try to kill it because it's smaller than they are. An adult is a pretty big fish, so the others might think twice about picking at him.

I love my lawnmowers, so, yes, I'm slightly biased......
JMO
Dan

Bocaswim
02/23/2002, 08:10 AM
Interesting and colorful small fish. Well there are plenty to choose from, it is really a personal choice for you and your tank.

Here are a few of my favorites:
Flame Hawk or longnose Hawk(careful with shrimp)
Any reefsafe wrasse( flame, flasher, etc.)
Orchid or neon dottyback
Clown Goby or Neon Goby
Blennie (bi-color, redlipped,etc.)
Royal Gramma ( I read they do okay in small shoals of 3-5)
Perhaps a smaller "reefsafe" angel

You could consider maybe adding another clown for now, to try for a pair. Either get one alot bigger or smaller than your current one.

Some of the above fish are territorial, and may not get along with each other(gramma/dottyback for example), or may require a well aged and established setup(angels). I recommend careful reasearch and selection. Make sure there are plenty of good hiding spots for smaller fish and go slow with adding newcomers.
HTH

Freckles
02/23/2002, 08:55 AM
Impaler,
I kept that one because he was extremely hard to get out. He is a beautiful fish though and is not mean like everyone says. He hangs with the clown sometimes.

Character is just as important, too. I like to see the fish swim up when they see me!:p My clown has real character, and is goofy.

Wrasseman
02/23/2002, 11:21 AM
Another choice are the assessors. Interesting color and character. I have a yellow (there is also a blue-mostly black). They are a free swimmer that will cruise through the rock. Much like a royal gramma.

AugustWest
02/23/2002, 11:51 AM
Character is just as important, too. I like to see the fish swim up when they see me!:p My clown has real character, and is goofy. [/B][/QUOTE

If you like character go with a Bi-color Blennie. Very personable fish. I'd also get a Royal Gramma and a pair of Bangaii's too.

This may be a biased opinion as I have all these fish in my 125 Gallon :p

aLittletank
02/23/2002, 12:28 PM
how about checking out different wrasses?

Allen

lobmanone
02/23/2002, 07:52 PM
How about:

six line wrasse(very personable)
psuedochromis
green chromis
fire fish--regular or purple
midas blenny--or most other blennies or gobies
catalina goby (my very favorite fish)
oscilaris clowns
sebee clowns get alittle bigger, but they are cool peaceful and hardy
flame angel
eilibi angel

All are neat, good luck.

Shane

Little Reefer Boy
02/24/2002, 02:45 AM
I would consider an Orchid dottyback instead of the Strawberry. They look very similar, except the Orchid has a black line that runs through it's eye on its face. The Orchid, though, is usually much more peaceful while just as pretty.

I also like clown gobies. They come in green, yellow, and black.

Freckles
02/24/2002, 03:24 AM
I like the firefish ........ do you have to have them in pairs, or can I just get one?

India
02/24/2002, 11:05 AM
I LOVE pearly jawfish...they work on their home tunnel forever, decorate the entry with bits of shell stolen from each other and grumble at the world. If you have several, they bob up and down in unison.

CATALINA GOBIES ARE COOL WATER FISH...they should not be in tropical tanks.

Thank you!
India

hcs3
02/25/2002, 12:38 AM
you have many wonderful choices from the advice already given. i'd like to comment ont he few that you should becareful choosing, though.

as boca said, flame hawks are cool. they tend to eat shrimp, so weigh the choice between the two.

neon dottybacks are nasty. i recommend that you avoid this species for a community tank.

no such thing as a reef safe angel. don't add one unless you've come to terms with yourself that the need may arise to completely rip apart the tank to get it out. if you couldn't do it, do get one.

bi-color blennies may eat corals as well. they've been reported to nip at SPS, and i just evicted one from my reef for eating a red open brain.

catalina gobies are cool water fish. if your reef tank gets over 70 degrees (it wouldn't be a reef) i would recommend you avoid this fish. warm water translates into a shorten life span.

also, all the species listed cannot be put together. choose wisely and as you narrow the choice remember to ask here if the certain species will get along.

HTH

henry