PDA

View Full Version : DEAD seahorse

SWANN
02/23/2002, 01:32 AM
hello everyone.

A couple days ago, I added a pair of H.white's to my new seahorse tank. These 2 made a total of 3 in a 29gal tank, which is ontop of my 90 reef, also acting as a microalgae/refugium..is sharring the same water as my reef.
Today i found the female Whity dead. I was wondering if you could help narrow down some possabilities on how and why it dies. As far as my water chem, I did a test a couple days ago..and all my test turned out in good condition except for my nitrates being a little high.
I noticed My first ever male black pigmy kinda shoving and pulling at the new male whitey the other day. Looked like he was trying to get him off the piece of branch rock the where all hanging on. But i did not see the pigmy bothering the female whitey(the one that died). Do seahorses fight aggresivaly enouph to kill???
On this point...In examining the dead seahorse, it looked as if its snout was damaged..kinda of shredded looking??? I did find it near the Flame scallop which is the only other inhabbitant in the tank, other than some snails, a couple blue legged hermits, and the other 2 horses. Could the scallop possably shut on the seahorse..if it where poking its snout at him?????
Other than these points, the only other thing is that the seahorse was sick, or was too stressed from the move. I did acclimate them very well(using a drip), and the other male whitie is doing fine..so i dought it was my water chem??? they've been in the tank for about a week.

What do you think???

Oh , now that i think about it...earlier in the day i noticed the female whitie on opposite sides of the tank from the other 2 horses...hanging in the corners??..also i think she wasnt eating this morning??(i feed twice a day).