PDA

View Full Version : Bac Pac Mod.....Help me think this out!

Logger
09/28/2000, 07:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

I added the airstone to my pacbac. Now it's skimming like there is no tomorrow! I'm going on vacation soon, and the cup has been filling up daily. I'm pondering drilling a hole in the cup, and running a tube out of there that I can drop to a large jar below the tank. What do you think?

Agu
09/29/2000, 09:34 AM
Yes that would work, but I have two questions. First, are you taking out more skimmate but really not exporting additional waste? The mod makes it look like you've improved performance, but if the skimmate is watery you can raise the cup to reduce removal of water. Second, if you're removing a lot of liquid you'll have to make sure the tank is topped up more often. If you've recently added the airstone you might want to wait a few days. After initially cleaning the water the skimmer may settle in to a lower amount being removed because there's less crud (scientific term) to remove. Agu

I did the same mod on three different skimmers and decided it really didn't improve the performance of cpr skimmers, and it was a pita to replace the airstones regularly.

Logger
11/18/2000, 10:10 AM
Hi,

About 2 months into this and it's working great! I went to Home Depot and bought a barb fitting that connects through the skimmer cup, and another similar fitting and placed it on a lid to a large orange juice jug. Now I just empty the cup every week or so, and don't have to worry about overflow!