PDA

View Full Version : new fish

Shimobe238
09/01/2005, 02:41 AM
So i think it's about time to add to the fish in my tank. I am opening it up to suggestions. Right now i have a small six line wrasse, a perc, and a royal gamma. What do you guys think i should add?? Any input on how much more i could put in as well?

Jesus
09/01/2005, 10:55 AM
What size is the tank?

Bdimas
09/01/2005, 03:05 PM
You have a 55 right?
what about a shrimp/goby pair?

Shimobe238
09/01/2005, 04:09 PM
yeah it's 55

Bdimas
09/01/2005, 07:20 PM
Maybe some kinda dwarf angel, or a mystery wrasse???

mothra
09/05/2005, 12:41 PM
Mystery Wrasse would be sweet! $$$ though. I'm not sure on the tank size for them either, but I don't think they get big so 55 would probably work. (edit - just saw you have a 6-line, another wrasse is probably not a good idea in that case)

Blennies are neat fish too. Midas or Bicolor are both very cool and have funny personalities. If you keep any LPS there is a chance they will nip it.

Another cool addition would be a Yasha goby, and better yet if you can find a Randall's pistol shrimp to go with it.

Shimobe238
09/07/2005, 01:47 AM
just a quick correction...it's a four line. not that i really matters. just didn't want you all to wonder if you came over to see my tank, what i was thinking...:) oh and i ended up with a algae blenny for the moment. i am in the works of possibly getting a dwarf angel from fresno. thanks for all the input!

Bdimas
09/07/2005, 02:38 PM
Algae Blennies are funny. Im thinking of getting one.

Tenderoni Drop
09/08/2005, 12:05 AM
what kind of dwarf angel

mothra
09/08/2005, 12:44 AM
Dwarf angels are cool but be careful they all tend to nip corals, especially LPS. I have a golden pygmy and she is pretty but sometimes she really goes after a coral and has killed a few.

mothra
09/08/2005, 12:46 AM
also some of them are very secretive and are almost always cyanide caught (such as golden pygmy). I got lucky but had I known that when I bought her I wouldn't have done it.

Shimobe238
09/08/2005, 02:03 AM
i am getting it from another hobbyist. it has been in a tank for a while. He is also getting rid of it because it is nipping at coral. all of his sps. it leave his lps alone which is good for me. not much if any sps in my tank.

mothra
09/08/2005, 06:44 PM
Cool, so what type of dwarf angel is it?

Bdimas
09/08/2005, 10:17 PM
Hey Chris what kinda Dwarf Angel is it? LOL.

Shimobe238
09/09/2005, 12:34 AM
surprise...:D

jshmehr
09/10/2005, 05:21 PM
You said you were going to get a Dwarf Angel from Fresno.
Where are you located?
Where do get fish from here in Fresno?

Shimobe238
09/11/2005, 01:03 PM
i don't get fish in Fresno regularly. I am getting it from a fellow hobbyist.

jshmehr
09/12/2005, 11:45 PM
oh. I was just wondering if you had a good/bad expereince here in Fresno as I have had mixed experiences here with the local LFSs.

jshmehr
09/12/2005, 11:46 PM
By the way:
What does '238' stend for, if you don't mind me asking?

Tenderoni Drop
09/13/2005, 12:01 AM
Jshmehr have u been to whities pet store

jshmehr
09/13/2005, 01:01 AM
Michael,
Yes. Some things are fair priced but most of the prices are a little on the high side.
Some of the employees there are nice but several in the fish department are rude.

Most places these days have a NO return policy so I don't buy there unless the fish seems to be in supurb health since it usually costs more there than at other places in Fresno.

Althought I have found several inverts from their 1/2 off tank (the tank where the sick corals go). I guess they didn't know that sick corals don't always stay sick, so I look around in the bottom of the tank for corals that have been there for a while. WOW that was a long sentence!
Where do you shop in Fresno?

lanxang
09/13/2005, 12:03 PM
Josh, have you check out your local reef club? Cvreefers.org. They mostly post on their own forum but they do have a forum on RC. Just wanted to give you a heads up. I've met some of those guys and they are a great bunch.

If you have a chance, you should read about Weatherson tank (prez of CVR?)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236668&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

jshmehr
09/13/2005, 07:59 PM
I just found CVR the other day on RC.
I'll visit the link you sent.
Thanks,
JM

Tenderoni Drop
09/13/2005, 08:37 PM
Hey josh Ive been to whities once and the manager kieth gave me some real good discounts after i told i drove from stockton he was real friendly and said that if i came back he would give some more deals by the way how long u been in fresno?

jshmehr
09/13/2005, 08:42 PM
Michael,
I've been in Fresno for about 25 years & have been going to Whities that long (although the location used-to be on Kings Canyon Ave).

Yeah, Kieth (if you catch him on a good day, otherwise he can be grouchy) is pretty nice, although he has never offered me any deals.

I usually feel guilty asking, unless I'm spending a lot all at once.
JM

Tenderoni Drop
09/14/2005, 12:28 AM
josh just thought i asked i use to live in selma is there any stores there?

jshmehr
09/14/2005, 01:33 AM
Michael,
My Grandpa used to live in Selma.
I've only been there a few times in the last 15 years so I don't know for sure.

Use the Following site & enter "fish" & "Selma, CA":

http://www.google.com/lochp?hl=en&tab=wl&q=

The Closest I found to Selma is Fresno or Hanford.

Where-abouts do you live in Stockton?
I'm Familiar with MAJOR streets like Hammer Ln or March Ln.
Thanks,
JSLM

Tenderoni Drop
09/14/2005, 11:57 PM
im near i5 downtown area have u heard of dameron hospital or victory park

Tenderoni Drop
09/14/2005, 11:58 PM
hey Josh do u know TimB? ive been to his house. he has a nice tank

jshmehr
09/15/2005, 01:59 AM
Michael,
I think I know where you're at.
Somewhat close to I5 & Highway 4 near the Port of Stockton, right?

Downtown Stockton isn't a very nice neighborhood.
I used to do ALL of the maint for U-Haul so I'd repair stuff at the U-Haul on Wilson & Sanguanetti from time to time. I wonder if Richie is still the Manager there?
So I'm familiar with the area surrounding area.

I also used to do the Maint for Goodwill so I'm familiar with the area surrounding Grant St.

I don't think I know TimB personally. I just enrolled to CVR so I don't really know anyone on it.

I'm almost done reading weatherson's Post about his new 240gal (2 years old now) tank. I'm on around page 16. I've been reading it since you sent the link but I don't have enough time to read it al at once.

He's got some really great Ideas. It almost seems like he has build a few of these before he decided to build the one in the post. MAN that guy seems to have thought of everything. I'm really amazed and look foward to meeting him & his tank one day. From what I read in his posts he only lives a couple of miles from me so I won't have to drive far.

My tank is far from being 'postable'. :)

I've only begun adding inverts, although I've had lr in my tank for quite a while.