PDA

View Full Version : DSB for 40# hex tank??

SmartWrasse
02/22/2002, 12:10 PM
I am interested in one of these tanks and would like to have a simple stable system. It seems that a deep LS bed (4in) would be most acceptable long term, and with no LR. Some inverts esp snails would be for algae control and LS invert organisms for sand sifting, and HOT skimmer. These tanks are somewhat cube shaped. The fish goals are somewhat open but interested in hardy Tangs, flame angel, coral beauty....but only a few fish that will be researched.

So would a deep sand bed be best for this type of system for those of us who hate to siphon / clean etc????

Thanks, Mike

jersey
02/23/2002, 12:41 AM
I think more research on your part is necessary. I don't think any of the fish you are interested in would be happy with that set up. Why no live rock? Not many fish that I'm aware of live in sand flats. Try to create an environment that the fish you want to keep live in. They will be much happier in the long run.

kentrob11
02/23/2002, 01:27 AM
I personally think you should bypass a DSB for a refugium. Deep Sand Beds are ugly and take up a lot of viewing room. I have a 40 gallon hex as well so I know how big the tank is- The tang is definately out...a good size Angel for that tank would be a flame, dwarf, or pretty much any of the "small angels". If you want more info on what I had in mind for mine PM me and we'll talk....

Kent

SmartWrasse
02/23/2002, 09:53 AM
This tank was being considered because of the location and a FO compromise. At the LFS, the 50ish corner tank was also brought up because of the longer profile for swimmers like tangs and angels. My wife likes the hex and it is a good looking tank, but I am planning a 75g reef tank for my lair. She does not like the LR look at the LFS for some reason. The LFS apparently does not understand the DSB concept. Their reef package tank depends on a trickle filter with no mention of LS or LR.