PDA

View Full Version : Yay!

anathema
02/22/2002, 02:47 AM
Hope everyone had as much fun at the meeting as I did.

I just finished putting it all in the tank, the polyps are even out on some of the SPS.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Reefer Dude
02/22/2002, 10:26 AM
Add pictures if you can too!

darcitananda
02/22/2002, 01:03 PM
Hey there,

Thanks for last night; it was great seeing/meeting all of you. I was just wondering what everyone got, and what you brought to the meeting. And I also wanted to just give a big "thank you" to everyone who gave me frags of their awesome corals.

I brought to the meeting:

red xenia, a splitting toadstool leather, assorted caulerpa

I took home:

purple montipora, bright yellow leather, cabbage leather, torch coral, thin branching acropora

Everything looks great this morning.

Mahalo everyone!

SunfishFun
02/22/2002, 03:05 PM
Last night was great fun and it was nice to see how Eddy's shop is coming along!

I brought: grey-white Caulastrea, brown-red Cladiella (only 1 frag), green Sarcophyton toadstool (only 1), Pseudocorynactis corallimorphs.

I adopted: brown-green Caulastrea (beautiful!), green Zoanthus (as usual, do not appear green in my tank), a couple bright yellow zoanthid polyps and a sprig of grey-violet Xenia or Anthelia. And some Caulerpa I hope will reduce algae growth.

Johara - Did you bring the green zoanthid rock? If so, what lighting do you have? These are my second zoanthids that have a different color in my tank than in their previous tank!

To whomever brought grey-violet Xenia or Anthelia with long fingers that was attached to a shell: Do you know if this is Xenia or Anthelia (or neither)?

Thanks everyone!

chipmunk
02/22/2002, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I had tons of fun. Nice meeting all of you!

-Alvin

Elliot22288
02/22/2002, 04:00 PM
SunfishFun,

I got a frag of that also and i'm pretty sure it's Xenia. I had a really good time at the meeting last night and expected to leave with a coral and five dollars out of my pocket butleft with about four different frags and everyone there was very very nice.

lori344
02/22/2002, 05:32 PM
we scored!!! This is what we brought home....

Kenya tree coral capnella sp, expanded and beautiful

a green Nepthea, stunning color!!! Slowly opening

small piece of yellow leather Sarcophyton elegans

A small piece of Darci's pink Xenia, it's already fully expanded and pulsing... doing too well for it's own good, we put it on the sand bed ;)

Some of the Green Zoanthids Protopalythoa vestitus

Small piece of Montipora capricornis

And a piece of Acropora (Thank you Alvin/chipmunk for sharing your nice big piece) ... it shows a green and slight purple under that brown.

Ron and I brought:

~2 green star polyp frags pachyclavularia violacea

~Pink Cabage coral frag Sinularia dura

~3 Large pink Birdsnest frags Seriatopora hystrix

~Med size piece of Neon Green Candy(trumpet) Coral Caulastrea furcata I think the boys split this one up into several frags. ;)

~1 Cladiella sp... not positive on this ID here's a blury pic (Darci, this is the one of the corals I kept asking about.... I think mobert took it home.

Ron and I had too much fun... thank you everyone!
~lori

Reef_l33t
02/22/2002, 06:00 PM
Hey, the meeting was cool. It made most of my expectations, and meeting all you was pretty cool. I brought the Xenia, kinda a yellow color, there were a few pieces of it. If anyone wants anymore let me know, I remember a few were really interested.

Anyway, thanks again. I only went home with the green acro, that's a really nice piece that's opened already. I also bought some B-Ionic 2-part and I am going to try this for a while, anyone have an luck with this? Are they're any precautions I should take besides overshooting calcium or alk? I have heard good and bad, whatever its better than not doing anything at all :smokin:

Hey, when did everyone leave last night? I was talking to someone and they said you guys go till 3-4 in the morning...what the hell are you guys nutz! Hehe, J/k guess once your hooked you don't care! I wish I could have stayed longer but I had a 30 minute commute and some studying to do.

-Mark

:fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1:

Tenner
02/22/2002, 06:47 PM
Hey all,

Well, looks like I'm the big loser. I had to miss the meeting.

Justin filled me in on all the gory details, 60 people, WOW!!!

I was a donater only this month.

One large piece of dense growth SPS.
And 5 or 6 cuttings of the green montipora.

Matthew

anathema
02/22/2002, 08:39 PM
I brought:

Montipora pieces attached to a rock that I think were taken as one piece. There were several brown pieces that will grow over the rock pretty quickly. The polyps are slightly green in my tank, but I have only had them under the radium for 1 month.

Orange zooanthids, hope you like them Bill.

Capnella/Litophyton-Darcy said it's the former, I had previously ID'ed it as the latter. It could be either from the Bourneman book's pics. I'm glad you like it Lori, it grows reasonably well in addition to being pretty.

Ricordea and a small metallic blue mushroom, don't know who got those.

Caulerpa and stomatellas.

I took home:

M. cap.
2 other montipora pcs. Red and purple tip in my tank.
Green acro
Purple tip acro
Some pcs of the green/red sps
Green Candy Cane
Caulerpa of several types
small piece of green (will see when they open) zoo's
Corallimorph with really cool tentacles
3 yellow polyps

Great fun everyone!

RustySnail
02/23/2002, 05:46 AM
Nice meeting, lots of 'newbies'.... ;)

I brought the following:

Three frags of Green Nepthea (sibblings the 'Club Stock')
One frag of Pink Caulastrea (another 'club favorite')
Orange/Green zooanthid frag

I took:

Lavender/Green zooanthid frag (small polyps)
Purple Ridge Montipora frag
Acropora Frag (from Matthew's 'birdcage')

Anathema-

Since the solid green caulastrea is new to the club, would you mind bringing cuttings to future meetings? I'm sure it would be a continued 'crowd pleaser'... Caulastrea is pretty fast growing; I have brought cuttings of my pink frag to the last two meetings.

Thanks to Matthew, Phil (and others) for providing the huge SPS corals to frag. They really go a long way, especially when our 'donor-to-recipient ratio' is low. I am amazed you guys can bring so much SPS every three-four months. HOW much limewater do you drip??!

Thanks to all of those who brought corals to share. No matter how small the donation; it really helps to add to the diversity of available frags, and allows all to 'go home happy'.

Good luck to all getting frags established, and see y'all next month...

Russ

lori344
02/23/2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Reef_l33t
I brought the Xenia, kinda a yellow color, there were a few pieces of it. If anyone wants anymore let me know, I remember a few were really interested. -Mark

Mark,
Ron and I are interested in your Xenia... are you interested in trading for anything we have?? Let's arrange for a trade at the next meeting, ok?

Also, don't forget what I told you about trading it in to LFS... there are plenty of ding dongs out there willing to pay them $30 for a med sized colony. Can you say store credit :D :thumbsup:

Reef_l33t
02/23/2002, 01:37 PM
I will bring a huge rock of it for you by the next meeting. After the discussion about the ding-dong LFS I placed 4 large rocks next to my momma colony. But the piece I have for you is sweet, I will make sure to bring it next time, but remind me! I forget things too easily.

-Mark

lori344
02/23/2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Rustysnail I brought the following: Three frags of Green Nepthea (sibblings the 'Club Stock')
So, please tell me about the infamous mascot Green Nepthea... Some of us are pretty new to the club and keep hearing reference reguarding this coral. Who's tank did it originally come from? What generation are the frags that you brought to this last meeting Russ? How many of us have it in their tanks? I saw a picture of DSB's and the color is much lighter green than the one I picked up on thursday. The one I got from Russ is such a deep bright green. Doug is running MH right? What are you using Russ? Is it light that is effecting the differences in color?

Originally posted by SunfishFun
Johara - Did you bring the green zoanthid rock? If so, what lighting do you have? These are my second zoanthids that have a different color in my tank than in their previous tank!

I'm not Johara, but I heard her say at the meeting that she is running MH. We picked up a few of her green zoanthids too, most of them are showing green, a few brown... we have them low in the 80 gal under VHO's.
~lori

anathema
02/23/2002, 03:49 PM
No problem on bringing in some of the calaustrea. I kind of already had planned on that since the calaustrea went so quickly. It was expanded well yesterday, then fell, so now I have it glued down.

Just curious Lori, what was your feeding schedule for this coral and how fast did it grow?

The Nepthea is lightly green/mostly brown in my tank under MH.

The green zooanthids have green centers with a brown outside as they were described in my tank. I hope they grow fast, I took a small piece that had broken off while we were cutting it and glued it onto a rock with orange ones. I'm trying to make a multi color rock. :)

lori344
02/23/2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by anathema
No problem on bringing in some of the calaustrea
Just curious Lori, what was your feeding schedule for this coral and how fast did it grow?

Hi Gusty, I feed the Caulastrea (trumpet/candy cane coral) only occasionally, when I think about it he he. Maybe, once per month. Meaty stuff, shrimp, clam, formula 1 etc. They aren't as "obvious" as most stony corals with their big mouths screaming feed me. They do have nice long feeding tenticals that extend to remind you now and then (at night) :D (and by the way those tenticals will sting your other corals) As for growth rate... They kick butt... very fast. We frag each of the three we have about every 3 months.
~lori

lori344
02/23/2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by RustySnail
Since the solid green caulastrea is new to the club, would you mind bringing cuttings to future meetings? I'm sure it would be a continued 'crowd pleaser'... Caulastrea is pretty fast growing;
I think you're talking about the stuff I brought, unless there were two "solid". I'd be happy to bring more if this is what you are looking for.
~lori

SunfishFun
02/23/2002, 07:07 PM
Mark:
If you ever have more yellowish Xenia I would love some - a tiny piece is great, as it grows fast. The only thing I have to trade is the brownish pulsing Xenia I saw at the mtg, which I got from Matthew in Oct. Or I could give you live sand or catch some mini brittle stars out of it.

Lori & any zoanthiphiles:
I thought zoanthids like low-med light, but Strung & Delbeek said to give max light. What do you guys think? My "purple" zoanthids from Oct mtg are now like 1/2"+ in diameter each, but brown w/ orange. The "green" ones from Johara are brown w/ white centers. Should I move them lower? I have 260W PC lighting on 55-60g (long tank, so 18" deep minus DSB and lights 6" over tank). (Okay Lori, now I will have to investigate Zoanthus vs. Protopalythoa.)

Elliot:
Thanks for the suggestion that I have Xenia. The only thing is the thin arms & big hands are not attached to a thick stalk like my pulsing Xenia, but each is single. I can't tell yet if they're connected by a mat, but they'll grow fast.

My frags are looking great today! Most are on sand or lower levels b/c my new bubble tip anemone (also brown, of course) has decided after two weeks that she no longer likes the niche she was in. When she settles down I can mount my new beauties!

-maureen

mobert
02/23/2002, 09:11 PM
Great meeting! I came home with lots of great stuff even though I drew #47 and missed the second call for picking! Only thing was, I was hoping to be able to watch and learn more about how to frag different stuff--maybe next time. Eddy was really great. He was moving in hyper speed the whole night. Be sure to support him when you can----he has great stuff anyway.

I brought pom pom xenia, anthelia, lots of halimeda and razor algae. This razor algae has grown huge and never gone asexual.

I came home with green acro frags, GSP, birds nest, and very bright green Nephthea that started out looking like a limp nothing when I put it in the tank! I also got a chunk of Johara's Zooanthids, and some brown frags that maybe somebody can tell me more about.

Here are pics of what I brought in case anyone was wondering what it should look like---xenia (keep it on the sand unless you REALLY like it) It pulses 40 times a minute when happy.

mobert
02/23/2002, 09:14 PM
Anthelia---It's long as it is here on the back of the tank and shorter and fluffy in the bright light.

mobert
02/23/2002, 09:59 PM
This is the way cool bright green acro that I got. It's got lots of hairy polyps. Also, is the birds nest behind it.

mobert
02/23/2002, 10:02 PM
Here's the Nephthea. It was a one inch single stalk thing nothing but over night it stood up with two stalks and is bright green. This will be fun to watch.

mobert
02/23/2002, 10:04 PM
Here's the zooanthids---there's some GSP in there too!

mobert
02/23/2002, 10:06 PM
This is the GSP. It's REALY bright under actinics. Thanks.

mobert
02/23/2002, 10:09 PM
here are the brown frags with green polyps. Are they Acro?

mobert
02/23/2002, 10:11 PM
And lastly, more brown frags with brown polyps? Acro??

mobert
02/23/2002, 10:17 PM
sorry, GSP....

RustySnail
02/24/2002, 04:16 AM
Lori-

Actually now that you remind me, there are two separate strains of Green Nepthea that club members have. Your cutting is at least third generation, since I got it as a cutting from a huge Nepthea that matthew brought in about 1 year ago. I don't know if he obtained it as a frag, or if it was a purchase.

The other strain was 'parented' by Doug (our club treasurer). I brought two frags of that coral, both not attached to rocks. I also got a cutting of this strain about one year ago. Doug brought some of it from his parent colony to the last frag meeting.

These corals are identical in species, but since one is from deeper water it exhibits more polyps than the other (looks more bushy). I have both growing in close proximity, and they don't bother one-another.

I have kept them under fairly low lighting levels. When I started my reef tank I only had 110W of PC lighting (50/50 full spectrum/Actinic). They did fine at about 10-12 inches deep. Since, I have upgraded to 220W, and they are growing at 14-20 inches deep. This is over a 60g corner tank, so fairly intense lighting, but nowhere near a MH lighting setup. So at fairly low lighting levels (when you consider depth and lamps), these corals do well. This could also be why the cuttings I brought were so dark green (less light requires more zooxanthellae). Also note that the body of the coral is not normally green (kind of pinkish brown) and the 'fingers' or crown of the coral is where the bright green color is concentrated.

This coral is somewhat fast growing, and under more intense light, it will grow more rapidly than it has in my tank. Dripping green water will also improve growth rate (something I am not currently doing). If you could have seen matthew's parent colony, you would have been impressed to say the least. It was 'massive'.

Don't know how many people have cuttings of these (probably at least 30 people from the club, possibly hundreds if they have fragged to sell or trade).

HTH...

Russ

BTW: The green caulastrea you contributed IS what I was referring to. It is really striking. Anathema got the cutting you brought. We decided not to break it up smaller for fear that it would not survive. It would be great if both you guys could bring frags of it occasionally (hopefully I could get a piece someday). ;)

anathema
02/24/2002, 05:00 AM
I forgot I also brought some of the anthelia that was attached to CC snail shells. Probably forgot a couple of other things, it seemed like I was bringing a lot when I packed it up, but the list seems short.

I fed the caulastrea tonight, and it seems to be doing well despite the fall. What kind of light was it under? I have it shaded in my tank from the full blast of the 400W Radium.

Everything is doing well except the M. Cap. Haven't seen a sign of life yet, but I'm still hoping.

I just bought some bulbs for my actinic setup and threw it together tonight, that calaustrea is cool! My nepthea is more brown than green, even though I have it on the opposite side of the tank from the light. I think I can see it grow though, I will definitely have a frag or two soon, I guess I should have brought some in. I have a small piece I found when I moved to my new tank. I think it's the nepthea, because I broke the tips off trying to attach it with a rubber band when I first got it and they floated away. It was on the underside of a rock smashed into the substrate in the old tank, but now it is on the underside of a rock about 3" off of the bottom and gets indirect light. It is bright green, almost yellow, and is slowly growing. Tough stuff if a tiny chunk can grow underneath a rock. :)

lori344
02/24/2002, 12:22 PM
I fed the caulastrea tonight, and it seems to be doing well despite the fall. What kind of light was it under? I have it shaded in my tank from the full blast of the 400W Radium.
I just bought some bulbs for my actinic setup and threw it together tonight, that calaustrea is cool!

Gusty,

We have the Caulastrea in three different set-ups, all VHO's of various wattages. The growth rate is best in our 80 gallon where we drive an Ice Cap 660 (4-48"URI's) and an other unknown ballest (for the actinics1-48" 03). The colony (in the 80) is about 10" from the lights without any shade. The Caulastrea get's lots more light in the 150 and a lot less light in the 40 gallon.
HTH,
~lori

SunfishFun
02/24/2002, 01:42 PM
Mobert - nice photos! I checked out your website and it's terrific! What type of brain do you have?

lori344
02/24/2002, 01:51 PM
OK Justin,
I finally had a chance to download the pictures from our camera. Here are the pics of the frags we brought home on Thursday night. All the pics were taken Friday, just after "lights on".

green zoo's

lori344
02/24/2002, 01:56 PM
Here's the Acro... I think came from Matthew donation. Actually, Chipmunk picked this one for one of his draws and shared it with me. :D The green polyps are showing even more today.

lori344
02/24/2002, 02:01 PM
Here's the Capnella

lori344
02/24/2002, 02:08 PM
Here's Nephthea & Montipora Capricornis

lori344
02/24/2002, 02:10 PM
Here's the Xenia that came from Darci

cal3v
02/24/2002, 03:29 PM
It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I didn't have the chance to go this time, nor am I a member, at least not yet. Hopefully next time I will get to go and trade as well.

mobert
02/24/2002, 04:19 PM
Sunfishfun---Thanks for the kind comments. I wish I knew how to update my site myself....those pictures are soooo old. Here's a shot of two brains kissing. I don't know what kind they are but I think they are both Trachyphyllia geoffroyi.

Tenner
02/25/2002, 12:27 AM
Lori, all,

Here is a little more of the story on the Neon Green Nepthya.

I purchased mine in 96 from Blue Cove in San Ramon. (no longer around). My wife laughed at me when I brought it home. It looked like a small green thumb. It was the first coral I added to my new 125g at the time.

I know Doug also purchased the same coral from Blue Cove also. Funny how these things work out.

At one point the partent colony was by far my largest coral, almost 18" high and huge around the base.

I traded almost half of it to GARF.ORG when they were working on restocking Palau. The story was this coral was fished to extinction, and GARF was collecting frags to repopulate Palau.

Today, I have seen three strains of this coral. The one I purchased in 96, Doug's purchase, and a third from Phil and Theresa.

Phil and Theresa worked in Palau helping the locals farm clams. I had donated some funds to thier project. In return they were allowed by the locals to collect some cuttings for our club. Sure enough one of the cuttings they brought back was the Neon Green Nepthya. Still going strong in my tank. In fact I had made three cuttings of it several months ago and traded with Eddy.

Eddy had never seen it before.

This Nepthya will grow from the smallest of cuttings, keep this in mind as you propagate it.

Russ, I drip about two gallons of Kalk per week. I get most of my calcium from a Calcium Reactor. Remember my tank is small, only 30g.

Thanks,
Matthew

Tenner
02/25/2002, 12:30 AM
Lori,

That looks like the SPS I dropped off with Justin. This SPS is the fastest growning I've ever had. It will color up green nicely in high light. Give it room to grow.

THanks
Matthew

anathema
02/25/2002, 03:46 AM
the capnella room to grow also, it's really taken off in my new tank. That piece was actually a decent sized growth, it just was all shriveled at the meeting, it should get bigger than the picture I think. I don't know how toxic it is if it rubs anything, but no sense testing the theory. :)

lori344
02/25/2002, 10:41 AM
Gusty,
Yup, you aren't kidding!!! The Capnella is huge... it's expanded to approx 4" tall!!! Just needed to cozy in I guess. :D That's not a frag, that's a whole coral :D It's beautiful, thank you very much!!! I'll post a picture of it this afternoon, after the lights come on.
~lori

mcbaes72
02/25/2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Reef_l33t
...I also bought some B-Ionic 2-part and I am going to try this for a while, anyone have an luck with this? Are they're any precautions I should take besides overshooting calcium or alk? I have heard good and bad, whatever its better than not doing anything at all :smokin:

Hey, when did everyone leave last night? I was talking to someone and they said you guys go till 3-4 in the morning...what the hell are you guys nutz! Hehe, J/k guess once your hooked you don't care! I wish I could have stayed longer but I had a 30 minute commute and some studying to do.

-Mark

:fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1: :fun1:

Mark,

I think we talked last week at the meeting. I use B-Ionic, too, and I'm very happy w/ it. I only use it twice a week (Mon & Fri) along w/ 10% weekly water changes. But that's w/ a 30 gal. reef. I'm sure yours is much bigger and you have more corals than me.

ESV's B-ionic recommends a starting dose of 1 ml per 4 gal. (Note: 5 ml = 1 tsp.). Just follow the starting dose and use it in the morning. Test after a week and see where your alk/KH & Ca levels are at. Then, increase or decrease the dosage from there.

Here's a link to their website on that product...

http://www.esvco.com/prod6.htm

Also, I don't know how late the others left. But my wife Mary Rose and I left @ 9:15 p.m. I wanted to stay longer and get more frags, since it became a free-for-all towards the end, but she was getting tired. Next time, I'm staying longer & I'm bringing a sleeping bag just in case. :D

-Michael.

mcbaes72
02/25/2002, 12:22 PM
All reefers,

My wife Mary Rose and I had a lot of fun at last week's meeting. I just wanted to thank all those (whose names I can't remember :(, except Justin & Steve) who we met and talked to. Although we stayed 'til @ 9:15 p.m., it was worth it!

Again, nice meeting everyone and see you all next month. ;)

-Michael.

lori344
02/25/2002, 03:48 PM
Thanks Matthew (Tenner),
That's an awesome story... I promise to take good care of my club mascot! :D

Micheal & Mary Rose, Ron & I enjoyed meeting you too... see you next month!!

Reef_l33t
02/25/2002, 06:47 PM
Michael,
Sounds good, I am adding 25ml a day of both 2-part additives. My corals have already responded with some acro growth, amazing to watch what happens when you starve them of calcium and then reintroduce it in such a blunt manner. Thanks for the tips, so far so good.

-Mark

Ssaah
02/26/2002, 01:55 AM
and say that I too had a great time at last week's meeting.

I look forward to the next one... I vaguely remember Justin saying something about a speaker. Does anyone know who it is going to be?

Steve

mcbaes72
02/26/2002, 11:01 AM
Lori & Ron, my wife has a better memory than I do (I'm better w/ faces than names) and she asked me to say "hi" to you both. Anyway, it was good meeting you, too, and we had fun. :)

Mark, you're welcome. Yeah, I bet your corals were in paradise the moment they received the Ca. Now, just sit back and watch them grow.

Steve, I thought I'd say "hello". It was nice meeting you and Dana? (I hope I got her name right) and maybe see you both next month. Sorry, I don't remember Justin mentioning anything about a speaker next month. I checked the BARE website, but found nothing about it.

Everyone, yesterday I realized that out of all my frags I brought home (Candy Coral, Button Polyps, Soft Finger (Sinularia?) & Green Acro?), my acro frag died. :( It was pale/bleached-looking and when I pulled it out, it smelled like rotten eggs. Oh well. On a good note, my other frags are doing well. Once I invest in a digital camera (someday), I'll have pics available. Hope everyone else's frags are acclimating well, too.

-Michael.

Reef_l33t
02/26/2002, 07:55 PM
Hey Mike,
It seems that my green acro isn't doing so well either, hasn't died but it doesn't look right. Must have been from the fragging and long period of stagnant water (and a mix of different water) that caused it to stress out so much. The polyps are extended, but ah well see. Its a nice piece tho.

-Mark

anathema
02/26/2002, 08:28 PM
but since I know nothing about sps, I can't say it doesn't "look right".

Has polyps out though.

e-ichan
03/07/2002, 02:10 AM
Johnny and I had the greatest time and brought home more stuff than I ever expected.

I'm new to the reef world and don't have a lot to share so I brought Caulerpa razor algae. Hopefully I'll have more for the next frag party.

Johnny and I adopted:

THE bright blue metallic mushroom - thank you Anathema!
Ricordea mushroom
Various other little mushrooms
Thin branching Acropora brown with green polyps
Small piece of green star polyps
Small piece of bird's nest (not happy)
Brown Zoanthids
Brown Toadstool
Beautiful bright yellow mushroom leather

Thank you everyone for making this meeting so much fun and to Eddy at Tropical Paradise for the hardware to mount our frags and the gas to get them home safely.

Ina

anathema
03/07/2002, 11:47 AM
The pieces of thin branching sps I took home are showing growth and turning more and more green. They are starting to encrust the base, and I think the tips are branching on one of them. The green piece is also starting to encrust.

The other sps seem to be doing ok, except for the blue tip which is almost all brown and keeps getting knocked around by my urchin no matter where I put it. :mad2: I think the capricornis may turn pink for me, but I don't really see any polyps. Should I be able to see polyps like my other Montipora? Thinking about it, I never really saw them in the store, just the purple edge, which I don't have.

The calaustrea is doing well too, it eats like a pig. :)

How are everyone's frags doing?

mobert
03/07/2002, 12:44 PM
I just love my little frags. It's so excititing to see them grow and take shape. Everything I brought home is doing great. The bird's nest finally showed some polyps too.

cal3v
03/10/2002, 07:44 PM
Hey guys, I acquired today a colony of what I think may be "solid green caulastrea" as some of you guys hav some. I'll try to take a pic in the next few days and post it here to see if it is truly "solid green" in your guys's opinions.

anathema
03/28/2002, 02:31 AM
Well I think I figured out what SPS people talk about when they say RTN. I came home and my blue tip acro frag was a bare skeleton. Hope it doesn't spread.

So far everything else is doing well, the green acro from Matt's tank is doing the best, it has grown and encrusted quite a bit. The (Orange now) M. Capricornis is pretty much staying the same size, but changing color.

The Yellow polyps immediately started splitting, and then something decided they are tasty so they are about the same size.

The only one I am worried about is the bright green acro. It is encrusting at the base, but some of the tips are white and look bare. It has been like this for quite some time, so I don't know if it's a problem or not.

Acros may prove to be too frustrating for me yet, I can't imagine paying for something that is that much of a crapshoot. It seems you never know if it will be brown, die, or maybe even look pretty in your tank. Maybe that's just inexperience talking and I'll be setting up the SPS only prop tank next week when I figure out they are the coolest thing in the world.

I really appreciate the chance to try it out though. I just wish that the blue tip frag hadn't died. I'm not sure what was wrong.

The calaustrea eats like a pig, but it hasn't started splitting for me yet. I'm hoping it will start to grow soon.

How are everyone's frags doing?

Tenner
03/28/2002, 07:53 PM
Gusty,

It's a funny thing about SPS. Some people think they are the best some don't.

There has been many discussions over the years about keeping SPS and softies together. I have had good success doing this, and tend to like the soft corals better. Hey, they move in the current, lots of SPS are pretty boring without good polyp extension.

Good luck, hope the RTN doesn't spread. It's usually best to pull the coral out once you notice it, or cut away the bad piece.

Matthew

Reef_l33t
03/28/2002, 10:09 PM
What is RTN?

cal3v
03/28/2002, 10:21 PM
RTN is rapid tissue necrosis (sp?) where the tissue of the sps starts to peel off so to say, or slough off the coral.

Reef_l33t
03/28/2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks

anathema
03/29/2002, 12:16 AM
Well, I think I've got it figured out.

I think it was a combination of things:

#1 after poking around my tank I noticed a big clump of caluerpa stuck in the skimmer intake. :( The flow was greatly reduced, but I don't know how long it's been like that. I need to get off my butt and build a real sump so things like this don't happen.

#2 I pruned my xenia the night before it happened, as well as slicing a ricordea off a rock since it was bothering a clam. I think both of these probably released some toxins, and with almost no skimmer...

#3 I went back to my normal feeding schedule after cutting way back trying to catch a crab, not noticing the reduced skimming.

Moral of the story:

Don't be lazy, quit my job, and take care of my tank full time. ;)

I did a large water change, and the skimmer is now going full blast and pulling out gunk like crazy. Hopefully I will see improvements in some of the animals, although nothing really looks bad.

My skimmerless nano is as healthy as ever, and the idea looks more attractive every day. Darcy has a pretty amazing skimmerless tank...

dsb1829
03/29/2002, 04:29 PM
Moral of the story:

Don't be lazy, quit my job, and take care of my tank full time. ;)

Yeah!!!!

Where do I sign?

Oh, and who will pay the bills while I am busy? Sounds like something for the people over in accounting to handle, my hands are wet anyways:D

Here is a frag update: Green Nepthea

Photo from 12/2?/01
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbrummett/180g_page/180g_news/nepthea.jpg

Photo from 4/12/01
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?postid=505750

Tenner
03/29/2002, 04:48 PM
DSB,

Great growth....I love those.

Hey, how about an update on the new addition to the family? ? ?

Thanks
Matthew

lori344
04/28/2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by mobert
I just love my little frags. It's so excititing to see them grow and take shape. Everything I brought home is doing great. The bird's nest finally showed some polyps too.

Mobert that is so glad to hear!!! I've been wanting to get up a photo of what you guys saved the bird's nest from. It took all of 2 weeks for my flame angle to eat this!!! He picked half of it clean, and wasn't even sneaky about it. :D This pic was taken two days before the meeting. We fragged it just before coming. How is it doing now??
~lori
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Apr/20024273452563271675019.jpg

johara
05/06/2002, 12:34 PM
Hi Lori,

The birdsnest frag I brought home is doing quite well. Obviously the dead areas are still dead, but all the areas with tissue have good polyp expansion, and there are new branches starting. One day I'll figure out how to modify and post digital pics so you can see.

Johara

mobert
05/10/2002, 11:38 PM
Hi Lori! I finally got some pictures taken---you know how it is, gotta wait until lighting is right...scrape the tank, etc. etc.

So here's a pic of the bird's nest. Growth has been slow but the new tips are pink:

mobert
05/10/2002, 11:53 PM
Mathew---is this the green acro you donated? It's about a third bigger although hard to tell since I knocked it into two pieces (oops). Really glows under actinics. Thanks!

mobert
05/10/2002, 11:57 PM
This must be Russ' Nephthea. Except for Xenia, it is the fastest growing coral in my tank. When I got it, it was a shriveled little thing that was found in the water at the end of the meeting. Now it is almost two inches tall and two inches wide.

Thanks

mobert
05/11/2002, 12:00 AM
Here's a pic of Johara's zoanthids. I've cracked the rock into maybe 8 pieces and put it all around. Funny, it's a little different color under different lights and tanks conditions.

mobert
05/11/2002, 12:06 AM
Here's a picture of the brown acro with green polyps. These must be from Mathew as they are the fastest growing acros. It's amazing how fast they grow. They are really taking shape.

Mathew---can I see pictures of the mother colony? But then again, it might take the surprise out of watching these grow.

mobert
05/11/2002, 12:09 AM
Here's the other brown acro with green polyps. Does it look like the same type as the previous photo?

I've broken the tips off a few times and it heals overnight. The broken off tips continue to grow too.

mobert
05/11/2002, 12:13 AM
The next two are brown acro with brown polyps. The new growth tips---which are bulging out all over---are an orangy pink.

mobert
05/11/2002, 12:16 AM
Here's the other brown with brown polyps. It' twice as tall as when I got it. All the branches on top are new.

So that's it except for the Star polyps that are attached and growing well also.

Thanks again to all who contributed!

(Russ---did you say lemon juice? My fingers would be all wrinkled before I can get to them all!)