PDA

View Full Version : Clown Trigger Cleanup Crew?

VDHD
02/21/2002, 10:07 PM
Yeah this sounds dumb..

I have a Clown Trigger, 92 Gallon corner, Skimmer, and 175 pounds of life rock. I also have a sand bed, around 4".

What should I use to clean the bottom of the tank? I want something to sift the sand around.

The trigger is small, around 2.5" end to end.

What do you think??

VDHD
02/21/2002, 11:00 PM
Anyone?

EdKruzel
02/22/2002, 12:58 AM
A few idea's come to mind.
First, a 92corner will be too small when your fish nears adulthood, but that won't be for a couple years.

Second is, well, tank capacity again. That much rock for the size tank you have is way above and beyond. Thirty to forty pounds consisting of a couple large pieces and a couple smaller ones is more than enough.

Even though your fish is small now you have to plan a tank for the future. Triggers are big eaters and you want a lot of water not rock. Leave just enough for a few good caves and crevices.

A DSB is great for fish only tanks. I have a 120 F/O with plants, where I placed about 30lbs of rock and 5 types of plants.

Fish consist of 3, a Cherry Grouper, Volitan Lion, and a Navarchus Angel.

The sand is seeded from my reef with plenty of pods and worms. The infauna is what turns the sand. Your trigger at such a small size will hunt the worms (pods also) so you'll need to replenish the supply now and then over the next year.
As he reaches 3-4''s his only interest will turn to larger meatier foods.

Keep your bioload light, your lighting intensity moderate to low and your sand bed ALIVE and there won't be any need for anything else to maintain.

Good Luck

FMarini
02/22/2002, 01:16 AM
VD:
usually I would say to someone who has an aggresive trigger in his tank that YOU are the cleanup crew. Obviously you know that an adult sized clown tigger will munch thru every hermit, crab, shrimp you add. However in your case since you have a baby clown trig, you might get away w/ slightly larger hermits, or cukes.
When this clown gets bigger, SKIP the cleanup crew, nothin will be off limits for food.

A DSB is often useful, but in the case of some triggers and some busy wrasses, these fish will easily deplete the DSB of any life (except bacteria), and will often render the DSB useless. In this case i would recommend you keep your DSB in your sump away from the fish.

If you want do a search thru Dr Rons forum for DSB and predators, he has answered this Q a few times recently
frank