PDA

View Full Version : [b]mnf - Lfs[/b]

stevescg
02/21/2002, 04:55 PM
My new favorite LFS - Skiptons

WOW what selection, Sps, Lps, softies, inverts, the best selection of fish I've seen,lots of rare stuff, All high end additives and foods,and very knowledgable staff. Clean tanks, friendly people and good prices. What more could you ask for in a LFS.

reefrancher
02/21/2002, 05:09 PM
I recently went there, too. Asked for Brendan but he it was his day off. Alyson was very friendly and knew her stuff. I picked up a couple porcelain crabs and drooled over a few other things that will have to wait for now :)

Two thumbs up and worth the trip.

Steve

beetlejuice
02/21/2002, 05:49 PM
I totally agree. I have been going to Skiptons for about a year now and always look forward to going. The expansion should be great, havent been there in about a month.

stevescg
02/21/2002, 06:45 PM
I'm glad I went in there with empty pockets or I would have needed a bigger tank before I left.
Brendan is a nice guy that knows his stuff

ScavDog
02/21/2002, 10:48 PM
hmm, that piggy bank looks ready to get his ***** kicked :p

cheese1
02/22/2002, 09:19 AM
Where is Skiptons?

cheese1
02/22/2002, 09:22 AM
Never mind. 411

GobieWanKenobie
02/22/2002, 02:49 PM
Just got back from Skiptons, and I must say I was pretty impressed compared to most of the LFS choices I have in the South Shore. Great selection of fish, some corals, and even SPS. The quality of SPS was a little lacking, hopefully it will improve. I got a cleaner shrimp and a 6 line wrasse. Pretty happy about it too!!

Vilas
02/22/2002, 05:03 PM
I went today as well. Great store, great selection. I was a little alarmed to see so many skinny looking mandarins, and that tank with the yellow tangs, but otherwise, very impressive! I only wonder why I never knew about it before..

beetlejuice
02/22/2002, 05:55 PM
Yeah those yellow tangs and the mandarins in the 5.5s are sickly. Another thing I dont like is that they carry nudibranchs, which can kill your whole tank if they die. Otherwise, good stuff.

The Perfect Pet
02/22/2002, 08:57 PM
just a reply,

glad everyone has liked the store, remember what you're seeing is only the beginning. We are majorly expanding. so nothing you've seen will be the same, it can only get better. Next time you come in please introduce yourself, mention the site even, let me know how we can improve things.
as for the sickly mandarins, they actually do quite well in those tanks, there is a ton of critters in there. I also give live brine at least 2 times a week, and scoop up some critter from our 75gallons of refugium at least once a week. We did get 4 Mandarins(2spotted & 2psych.) in on Thurs. they were a bit thin.
As far as the !50 with the Tangs what's wrong with that/them?
Thanks again for checking us out, hope you like the beginning, sorry I didn't get to meet some of you, looking forward to though.

-B-

Vilas
02/23/2002, 02:38 PM
hehe, I asked for you, you were out breaking down someone's tank? I spoke with the other people there, they all seemed very nice.
As far as the tangs, well, it's a few too many tangs for that tank, imho.

namgozear
02/23/2002, 05:01 PM
i dont think those tangs will be in that tank long enough to establish domain or dominance, also it is more natural for them,short term,since they are a schooling fish.

The Perfect Pet
02/23/2002, 08:19 PM
my point exactly Namgozear. Those tangs are only in there for a short amount of time(maybe a month), besides about 6 new ones are added every week or other week. This tends to help break any tension. They are also fed 2-3 times a day (one being either spirulina, nori, seweed selects, or fresh macro-algea). so there is not much competition for food. Don't get me wrong. I completely agree, Tangs should really not be kept in home aquariams, But should anything really?

Sorry I missed you Vilas, I am looking forward to meeting you. I checked out your web site the pics of the tank look great. nice aquascaping, lots of room to work with. If you print out some pics of the tank you should bring them in.

In fact, anyone that has pics of their tank, and would like them displayed for all to see (who doesn't?) can bring them in. One thing we will be doing as part of the expansion is posting a section(more like a wall, If I have it my way) of customers tanks.

centyr
03/10/2002, 12:30 AM
hello all i am new to the area and i was wondering where
Skiptons is at?

Thanks

150reef
03/13/2002, 10:31 PM
Hey I second that!!! Where is Skiptons located at????????

Can someone tell me if it is accessible by one of the subway's??

moe_k
03/13/2002, 11:11 PM
Look at the thread called "Skipton Kennels"

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=70687

I give the phone # and address.

They're not really near a T stop that I can tell.
They are right near the intersection of Melina Cass Blvd and Mass Ave.
That's at the Dorchester/Roxbury/Southie/South End junction.

stevescg
03/14/2002, 07:06 AM
Its easy to get to, travelling north on I93 (South Boston) take exit 16, go left for a mile, its on the right, across from the golden arches (McDonalds)