PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrgh!

STACKER
08/24/2005, 05:54 AM
Well, after hacking my finger and being down a few weeks after surgery I now am paying with water quality issues. Had my auto topoff get stuck... on... and dump 25-30 gal. of fresh RO , dropping my salinity to 1.005 (D'oh!) I lost a small frogspawn and a dragon goby. I really couldn't do too much except bring the salinity back up gradually and everyone else made out OK. It took 2-3 weeks but now all is well. 3 days later BAM! The Red Scurge! Arrrggghhhh! A quarter sized patch... sucked it out with the cleaner siphon. Next day BAM! a patch about 3" X 8". Sucked it out, 12 gal. water change, cranked the skimmer, dosed with chemi-clean.... Next day! BAM! the monster was covering about 1/3 of the open area at the front of the tank. Re-dose with Chemi-clean, kill the skimmer siphon out the big patches and pray.... I finally gave in and bought Red Slime Nuking resin from Rich lastnight. I've NEVER had cyano issues in 20 years. Why now? Sheesh! Hopefully the next couple days will yield improvement. I have about 50 gal. of RO ready for a big water change, can you guess what I'll be doing the next couple evenings? :)

doody
08/24/2005, 06:45 AM
I don't know too much bout red slime, but thanks for reminding me to clean my top off switch. Sorry for your loss by the way. You seemed to really like that dragon goby.

STACKER
08/24/2005, 07:52 AM
I'll get another, that whoop a$$ cleaning the bottom and sifting...

deepbluesea99
08/24/2005, 09:23 AM
let me know dale there always avalable

deepbluesea99
08/24/2005, 10:01 AM
or i have a nice 8" panther grouper that will just thrash the bottom when he feeds lol

STACKER
08/24/2005, 01:20 PM
LMAO, Thx but I prefer my little goby's and blennies alive...

I'll have you order me a dragon when I get my cyano killes and some other issues dealt with.

Funny, or not funny, today there are about 1000 flatworms all over in the nano and Doody's Yashia seems to like chomping them and spitting them out. Great comic relief!

doody
08/24/2005, 04:57 PM
Ahh, man I wanna see. Get some pics.

STACKER
08/25/2005, 05:49 AM
D'oh! The wifey has my digital to take near worthless pictures of a retirement party at ther work. I did a 2-3 gal. water change yesterday afternoon on the nano and sucked out well over 100 flatworms. There are times when it looks like red algae cuz they are so thick. I can't nuke 'em cuz they release body fluids at death and will wipe out the tank. I'm gonna try to thin 'em out, then treat with some exit to kill the rest and be ready to do 2- 50% waterchanges. Good thing it's only 12 gal.

doody
08/25/2005, 08:20 AM
How long have you had my yashia? Think my tank is ready for him? I'll let you keep him a while longer as it seems he's helping you out with the worms. I was just trying to figure when my tank would be safe

STACKER
08/26/2005, 05:35 AM
Only 2 weeks and he's starting to venture out a little more now. Still mighty shy tho. If you transfered your espablished LR and substrate you should be able to introduce fish after a week if the vitals are all reading 0. If not it's not worth testing the potential with a cool and expensive fish. Maybe "borrow" a trash for form Rich (one that's big, tough, and easily caught). If it lives, simply return it using Riches "mafia" credit program. Wow, I made a joke at 6 am... scary!