PDA

View Full Version : Sept. meeting

ghostbear29
08/23/2005, 10:39 AM
Ok, I say we go to China rose again over off of campbell and ft. lowell. Sound good. We will make it a sunday mtg. for the event of posterity and good faith to the others....(yeah, right!) Anywho, so lemme know what dates work and what days dont. Lets get this done quickly so I can type up pms and emails. Thanks again guys. Also, lemme know what stores or tanks you would like to see as well.

owsi
08/23/2005, 11:05 AM
Any Sunday is great with me

Roll221
08/23/2005, 12:03 PM
I will be gone all of Sept. Will still be around Labor Day weekend if you have it on the 4th.

Ed

phlipper84
08/23/2005, 06:00 PM
Perhaps we can get a better turn out if this meeting is run as a swap-meet or auction. I know I have some things that I can probably frag out of my tank, as well as an abundance of dry good type items.

owsi
08/24/2005, 12:18 AM
I'll bring a Wavemaster-Pro among other things.

phlipper84
08/24/2005, 07:54 AM
I think I may have some zoa frags.

ghostbear29
08/24/2005, 09:28 AM
Now that we got some people coming, a few rules of civil conduct need to be laid out. I am glad people will want to trade certain items though, it IS to each own persons responsibility. Trades have to be fair and equal and both parties must be present. Lets not do the mass fiasco with everyone ticked off at each other. I might have some zoos also, lets see what I could frag. Though Im not sure about having that stuff in the resturant? Anyway, what about dates? any takers....early or late in the month?:rollface:

ghostbear29
08/24/2005, 09:54 AM
oh by the way...speaking of fragging! I spied some rainbow acan and some cool blasto action. Waaay out of range for my dirt poor self but definately you should get over to see Hector and atleast pay tribute to it!lol. seriously, its a big specimen and looks waay cool. Ofcourse, I think everything is way cool. Now THAT is what we should all frag! How many people have Lord acans? Are they really that popular? It looks real cool. Here I go messing with the thread! Sorry, just had a crazy idea.

owsi
08/24/2005, 01:55 PM
Acans way over priced, 1000% over. A artificial market that is dieing fast as people find they are not that rare. Cali prices about $20 to $30 a polyup for exceptional, this $500 and up is like buying penny stocks, great if your the first one out, but somebody will get stuck holding the bag.

OasisTF
08/24/2005, 03:14 PM
Acans not for investment - They are not RARE - People buy them because they like them IE: Porcshe, Ferrarri, Mansions, Diamonds - People should buy CORALS because they like them and like keeping them.

Just my two cents

Hector

ghostbear29
08/24/2005, 03:20 PM
Ok, well there you have it. Anything else to frag then? John, any ideas? Now you made me cry.lol.

owsi
08/24/2005, 05:54 PM
Okay, you asked, first lets get a program for the meeting. Then each meeting will have a set topic and then open discussion. We will probably wind up with 2 or 3 groups within the main group, LPS and softies, SPS and just getting started. First meeting should be interests, requirments (tank, lights, flow and temp control) for each group. Then specialty class/talks such as picking, adapting, growing and fragging. Fragging is the last step, you don't buy and chop up a coral, first you acclimate for a month or so, till its over shipping stress, checked for parasites and so on. I am free on Sundays now, and like the Rose garden location as a permenent site and think they will too once we get going. We need to schedule a consistant date and then just hold to it, people will come if you offer them something worthwhile, knowledge. But first you have to let the word get out that you have credible, worthwhile knowledge and are consistant with your meet dates so they can plan to attend. Now my personal feeling about "clubs", I like informal, non strucured, no president/dues groups. FRAG/PROP in Phoenix are good examples, they have thier problems, but overall its a great group and free. The biggest problem I see with them is a few carry most of the weight, and some that dont complain about them as if they were paid staff. Well thats a start for me, any coments?

phlipper84
08/24/2005, 07:38 PM
on your acan quote owsi, 20 dollars per polyp times 30 polyps equals 600 dollars. Therefore, they are not really selling them that cheaply in California. Again, off thread. As to knowledge, it will come with people actually showing up. Everyone has some knowledge, whether it is in variety of reef knowledge or just basic skills. People like the idea of trading buying stuff. At least I do! I will come if we are doing the trade/swap idea. That way there is a chance of getting something that I would like. For me, frags are a waste of time. They get lost in my tank, or snails or hermits turn them over and by the time I find the upside down pebble it is dead. Just my opinion. If people want to trade frags, great, I will post something tonite that I will be willing to trade or sell. Anyone wants it they can see me at the event and we can wheel and deal.

OasisTF
08/24/2005, 07:41 PM
I concur with JOHN - He hit it right on the MONEY - :)

Hector

OasisTF
08/24/2005, 07:43 PM
OHH yea I will attend when I can - BUT I wont take any livestock or Drygoods because I dont want it to be a conflict of intrest - BUT I also want to attend to learn from other hobbyist.

Hector

Roll221
08/24/2005, 11:18 PM
Hit the nail on the head John, it needs to be a group of folks getting together trading talking and having a good time. Set the meetings for a set time and place EVERY month!!! Even if just one person shows, the meeting will take place rain or shine. This will eliminate any questions and and the 3 page threads deciding where and when is good for everyone. Like John said the guys in Pheonix have thier issues but you can be sure of a nice meeting every month with no question of when or where it is. I have been to 5 so far and have always have a good time. I actually know some of them really well and chat daily with a few of them.

Ed

owsi
08/24/2005, 11:42 PM
1:00 PM Sundays so those that go to Church can attend? FRAG IS 3rd Sat 4-6pm, PROP is first Sat usualy 1:00 or 2:00PM. So any input? Jon, is 1:00 too early? Once we get attendance up, I'll see about getting some speakers in, Steve Tyree said Frank and he would come like he did for Phoenix too.

AriZonaD54
08/25/2005, 12:15 AM
Ok... 1pm on which Sunday? Has the date been set up for sure?? I will def try to make it wherever it is. Keep us informed

owsi
08/25/2005, 12:30 AM
2nd Sunday? For those that go to FRAG or PROP, they wont be spending one weekend talking Reef.

ghostbear29
08/25/2005, 09:01 AM
well, now one hiccup with your plan. YOU have to show up. Out of 4 meetings, Youve only been at one. A lot of others can claim the same. Not to throw bones but If we just slab down a time, usually something comes up and they dont make it. It is a waste of our time and the resturant. I have been naming the time with peoples input so as to draw the most intrest. And usually RSVP doesnt mean a thing as Jon and I know. Waiting with the car running is embarrasing and silly. So I am not sure if the "club" is ready for all that. As for my comments earlier, I am just worried of people bringing their stuff and expecting miracles. WE already went through that mess, not again. I dont have prob with bringing the frags along, just be open and fair. thats all. I think we will have fun. Also, I have scheduled people to come and talk to the group for an interesting topic or two. But people dont show, so if the intrest picks up, then I can re schedule that as well. so, Hands up, whos gonna show this time?

owsi
08/25/2005, 10:02 AM
Have I ever said I would show and not? Not to wanting to get a long back and forth going, but a lot of the past meeting plans pre-assumed, ie; buying a $1000 worth of frags with no comiment by any one, yes fragging is a side benefit but I think we have enough frags local without haveing to get more in. A lot of the the threads have buy from Hector and we can frag it undertone that I find objectionable, sorry Hector to drag you into this, I do not think you are behind that.
"you should get over to see Hector and atleast pay tribute to it!lol. seriously, its a big specimen and looks waay cool. Ofcourse, I think everything is way cool. Now THAT is what we should all frag!"
To close, I just gave my input because you asked, I don't need a local club but would help get it off the ground for the hobbies sake. Life's too short to and I have more important things to do then this. Sorry if this offends but I believe in being blunt not political.

Roll221
08/25/2005, 02:47 PM
Now guys let's be nice :) . I can see both points but I think the moral of the story is that do we want to have an active (semi) formal club, or just be a bunch of hobbist that just get together every so often. Both are good for me, however, if we establish a formal club there has to be clear leadership or the thing will not succeed. Establish a club leader (figurehead or president what every you want to call it), set rules for fragging and if no dues are to be paid how do we get money to invite guest speakers?

My brother is a committee member in the Greater Iowa Reef Society (GRIS) and there policy is they have a meeting set ever month, like I said before, if only one person shows up, the meeting still happens. What one guy does in room all by him self is beside the point but you get the idea, right? Another point on dues, if they are collected the club has to be more formal but I know if I have paid a fee I am more likely to show up to meeting and get my monies worth. Again, this is the experience my bother has had in his club and it is very, very successful. As a mater of fact when I retire I hope to be able to find a job in Iowa so I can become a bonafide member of GRIS.

This is all just my 2 cents worth.

Ed

ghostbear29
08/25/2005, 04:27 PM
sorry John,
I meant somthing completely else. Didnt mean to sound stand offish. Thanks ed for mediating.:) But I do sincerely understand your point. I think we are understanding the same thing but saying it elsewhere. My bad. Tell ya what, call me at my house and we can touch base and organize without the informality of writing in the thread. I called your house and gave you my #. Lemme know if ya got it.
Too all others write in and let us know if this sounds good. Just dont lurk. I cant do it all and expect to make everyone happy. Wheres Tom when you need him? ha!:p Dont worry, we'll have a great time.
jeff

jeasley
08/26/2005, 09:25 AM
Sunday at 1 is doable for me.

ghostbear29
08/26/2005, 11:02 AM
Hey jon, good to hear from you. thats great, chinese ok?

kscrimshaw
08/26/2005, 04:08 PM
OK, I've been lurking on this thread long enough! I am definitely interested in being involved in a club, but unfortunately don't have the time to be involved in organizing it. Since I'm not going to be able to take on a lot of the burden, I don't really have a preference on how it's run.

My main issue is that I have 2 little kids at home and a husband who has a very irregular work schedule that usually includes weekends. I usually don't know until that day if I can make a meeting or not. But if I knew in advance what was going on (speakers, discussion, frags, whatever), I could make plans to make sure I was there.

That's why I don't usually speak up when we're trying to figure out where and when - my schedule is just to variable to even remotely plan around me! So just schedule whenever you can (weekend afternoons are probably best), and hopefully I'll make it to one of the meetings some day!

phenom5
08/27/2005, 05:27 PM
hey guys,

first, i probably won't make it to any meetings...ever. :D my schedule is way too busy. working full time, going to school full time...i'm lucky that i have the time to take care of my tank. something to think about though, if your going to have the meetings at a restaurant, and your going to trade/ sell livestock you should check with the owner of the restaurant & explain exactly what is going to take place. there might be health code issues with that, and the owner may not be crazy about the idea of bringing livestock into his place of business.

as for acan lords...if you got the money, buy 'em. personally, i don't think they're all that great. i've seen plenty of corals with great color that are a fraction of the cost.

i'd charge dues...thats the best way to get a good turnout...but what do i know, i don't even go to the meetings...:thumbsup:

ghostbear29
08/28/2005, 10:24 PM
weekends and afternoons it is...refer to owsi's thread. we will have a standard meeting on Oct. sorry, just to hectic with school and everything. thanks for everyones input. Thanks jon for the help, love ya man!

:)

jeff