PDA

View Full Version : Crocea and Moorish Idols

ClamLover
02/20/2002, 11:04 AM
hi to everyone,

has anyone ever kept Tridacnid Crocea clams with Moorish Idol fishes ?

Just wanted to know. I have another similar thread spawned in the Advanced Topics Forum, however I wanted to hear from the friends in this Forum too.

fishymissy
02/20/2002, 05:18 PM
I can't comment on the clams at all.....but I feel I must comment on the Moorish Idol. Unfortunately, this fish has a horrible track record in the aquarium. Just about every thread I have read about idols, the ending is the same, the fish dies. I will urge you not to waste your money and a fishes life, and buy something else like a tang.......
Sorry.

OJsreef
02/20/2002, 08:29 PM
The only (and I mean ONLY) time I've ever seen Idols doing well was in a group of 4 in a large tank 300gal I think. There's a Butterfly that looks alot like them and does well in captivaty but unfortunetly Im having a brainfart so I can't remember the name right now:confused:

Heniocus I think

OJsreef
02/20/2002, 09:41 PM
Yo Clamlover got good news!
Sanjay Joshi has a Heniocus in his reef tank (yes there's a clam in it). You can see it in the back ground at www.cmas-md.org under Sanjay Joshi's tank. It's in the first pic. Hope this helps.

OJsreef
02/20/2002, 09:59 PM
Sorry scrach that. Heniocus are in the his Penn State reef and clam's in his home reef. I'll still try to get more info though!

neuroracer
02/21/2002, 10:07 AM
I looked at those pics and those tanks make me sick to my stomach. Now my tank looks like a rock-curing vat or something compared to theirs. :D

neuroracer

fishymissy
02/21/2002, 11:06 AM
Bannerfish like the one in the link are very similar to moorish idols without the worry.....excellent choice!

MiNdErAsR
02/21/2002, 05:38 PM
FWIW, there is a rather large T. gigas in the PSU tank.

jim norris
02/21/2002, 11:41 PM
Moorish Idol what a beautiful fish! I tried one once and he live for about 8 months in a 240 gallon fish only tank that I had. He ate everything, brine, flake, bloodworms, lifeline and his favorite what clam cubes! I personally would not try that combo.
Jim