PDA

View Full Version : question for HCS..

bahrhoops
02/19/2002, 09:11 PM
HCS,
I'm planning on setting up a 220 gal mostly sps reef but I like the idea of a community tank as far as the fish selection is concerned.
Not sure exactly what my fish will be but the list would go something like this:

2 ocelleras clowns
1 yellow watchman
1 candy hog
1 midas blenny
1 bicolor blenny
1 electiric blue damsel
1 pygmy angel
1 0r 2 clown gobies
maybe a tilefish

would a regal tang or some other tang added last throw a wrench in the works ? being that they can get big and agressive ?
unfourtunately i think i know what your answer will be but I'm asking anyway

:D :D
thanks , steve bahr

bahrhoops
02/19/2002, 09:20 PM
ok wait,
nix the pygmy angel because I'm getting clams as well.Unless I can sneak a Potter's Angel in there.
which i doubt

wdt2000
02/19/2002, 09:28 PM
The two Blennies may fight. And I think the Hogfish will eat snails and crabs. But I doubt the Regal Tang will cause any problems in a tank that large.

Will

hcs3
02/21/2002, 09:15 PM
hi steve and sorry for the delay.

overall, the fish selction looks good. let me touch on a few...

the 2 blennies are probably a bad idea. decide on one of them and you should be OK. be aware that bi-colors have been known to nibble on SPS, clams, and LPS. personally, i've had one attempt to eat a red open brain. he was promptly evicted. a midas blenny is probably a better choice around a variety of corals but they have been known to be aggressive towards small fish. your yellow watchman comes to mind.

i would recommend against tilefish. most are notably difficult to acclimate. those that do acclimate do best in a dimly lit aquarium. your SPS setup will go against what they need. lastly, they are efficient predators of micro-crustaceans and not the best option in a tank following a live DSB approach.

i'm sure your aware of the risk of adding any angel to a reef. with a 220g that is a risk i wouldn't take, but that is entirely your choice. don't add it unless you've mentally prepared yourself to rip the tank apart if by chance the angel becomes "picky."

a damsel? well, that is your choice ;)

if there was such a thing, a regal tang is probably the perfect aquarium surgeonfish. their personality allows most fish to be kept with it. their swimming habits don't have them pacing the front glass but rather taking a swim around then tucking into LR for a few minutes. and their color is hard to match in fish from any genus.

HTH

henry