PDA

View Full Version : Local source for medications? (Furan-2)

AquAsylum
08/20/2005, 10:41 AM
I have unfortunately had a need for a variety of medications since I started my tank and always have to order them. I know by memory what PetSmart and now Petco carry, and it just isn't what I need.

I'll cruise the evil empire (Seascape) today and check, but if anyone in Bradenton or Venice knows of a store that carries a good stock of medication, please let me know. I specifically need furacyn/nitrofurazone right now for my yellow tang. Thanks!

stevemc
08/20/2005, 12:37 PM
If there is none in Sarasota, I do know the fish breeders co-op in Ruskin does have meds. What is wrong with your fish? And while you're in Seascape, say hi to Jennifer, shes my daughter. Steve.

AquAsylum
08/20/2005, 01:07 PM
Our yellow tang has the red markings discussed in the sticky on the Fish Diseases forum, it is some kind of bacterial infection.

Our pink skunk clown has something altogether funkier and worse. Big lumps in his/her side, look like zits ready to pop. I haven't found any photos that look similar to it and from reading other posts still can't tell whether it is an internal worm thing or a bacterial infection. I did a water change last night and treatment with praziquantel and metronizadole.

iodorgj
08/20/2005, 01:18 PM
sea scape has all medications. including furnan and eythro etc etc.

AquAsylum
08/20/2005, 05:57 PM
I did get the Furan there this afternoon- way overpriced, of course, but immediately available.

Jennifer was off today, but I did ask if she was there!

stevemc
08/23/2005, 09:33 AM
Laura, I forgot she is off on Saturdays and Tuesdays. Hows the tang and clown doing? How is your water? sounds like maybe your salinity is possibly too low or you are getting nitrates/nitrites or even ammonia, did you check? I have got fish from petstores in the past and the water was very low in Salinity/SG like 1.020 or 1.021, and I have called them back to let them know, and they say its not a big deal. A minute amount like that might not seem like much, but it can shock a fish, so I really acclimate very slowly. With less salinity on a marine fish, there is less osmotic resistance on the fish and they can have problems. Some kinds of fish dont have problems like frilled gobies, snook, mullet, tarpon and some others, but not reef fish for a long period anyway. Right now in the Florida Keys the Salinity/SG is 1.028- 1.029 and it stays higher than 1.025 almost always, which is where most people hover around in home aquariums. It gets higher during droughts. I would check all these things as the water quality is usually the reason for fish skin problems in aquariums. Steve.

stevemc
08/23/2005, 10:20 AM
Laura, I just looked at your aquarium specs in your post, I noticed you have 200+ lbs of live rock. How do you catch your fish to put it in a hospital tank with all that live rock? If you dont catch your fish out, thats your problem, putting meds into tank will kill all beneficial bacteria and cause big problems that will continue to kill fish and never get better, just get worse. Usually the bacteria and parasites are never a problem, thats why I figure something is happening with water quality. Sorry if I'm jumping on you, but I'm just trying to help. Steve.