PDA

View Full Version : Best choice of fish

MDreefer
02/19/2002, 10:56 AM
Wanted to know the opion of my fellow reefers. What is the best choice of fish for a 155 reef, thats 50/50 softies/sps. All Fish of coures have to be reef safe, very eye pleasing, and non aggresive. They are no fish in the tank right know beside three cromis for my Bio load, but im ready to start adding the keepers
:fish1: :fish1: :fish1: :fish1: :fish1:

Mildewy
02/19/2002, 07:15 PM
6 lines are always nice.

hcs3
02/19/2002, 08:06 PM
i'd probably stay away from all wrasses since they are such expert hunters of micro-crustaceans in our tanks. however, if you decide to go with a wrasse, IMO there are hundreds of wrasses that are better mannered and more attractive than 6 lines. practically anything from cirrhilabrus, halichoeres, macropharyngodon, or paracheilinus will work and most likely has a stunning coloration.

springers or freidmans dottbacks are always eye catchers.

get a blenny of some sort.

cardinalfish are always cool.

the choices of gobies are astounding. don't forget to look at them.

a couple yellow assesors would be neat. or possiblt a pair of jawfish.

HTH

henry

cal3v
02/19/2002, 10:15 PM
Hello there. I might also add I have a redfin wrasse (cirrhilabrus) and it is also a good hunter of pods ime. While I still have quite a few, I can tell there was a difference since the cirrhilabrus was introduced.

Mildewy
02/19/2002, 11:21 PM
I really dont think that a single 1 to 2" 6 line will have much of an impact on an established pod population in a 155 gallon tank.

hcs3
02/20/2002, 12:05 AM
hi mildewy

i completely respect your opinion, but i have to think it is wrong. knowing wrasses as i do,.....well, they are extremely proficient hunters. i have seen them in 180g tanks. the damage they did to the micro fauna cannot be understood until you see well established tanks that have been without wrasses for years.

HTH

henry

MDreefer
02/20/2002, 08:58 AM
Hey thanks for all the helpful choices of fish. Thus far i do believe there will be (drum roll please)

wrasse(?????)
Goby
Blenny
Cardinals (must have)
Jaw fish, assesors, Dotty backs and springers (researching)

QUESTIONS
I have a question on the assortment of tangs, I hear some are really hard to keep, but they are great eye candy but i dont want to chose one thats sesitive to everything.

Is a Hippo tang really that bad for a Reef

acrophoria
02/20/2002, 09:15 AM
i dont know what happens to your pods but i have a FEW fairy wrasses and an ornatus wrasse,a manderin, scooter,and a refugium,and zillions,not millions,of pods everywhere,and guess what i never bought any so called "starter kits"i did however buy quality live rock and this is what started my pod explosion.
you have a big tank even a few wrasses would not deplete a pod population,dont they multiply by the thousands anyway?everyday to!some are worried to much about there little bugs,but what do i know anyway

MDreefer
02/20/2002, 02:54 PM
I have millions of Pods, I wouldnt mine something to keep them in check

Wolverine
02/20/2002, 04:26 PM
I would definitely add a couple of bangaii cardinals. I think they're the perfect reef fish, since they look cool, are peaceful, stay out in the open. Then, as a bonus, they readily breed, and can easily be found tank-raised.

I also really like the assessors, but if you they can get beaten up pretty easily by a lot of things. In a tank that size, as long as you don't populate it too much, they should have enough room to be left alone.

As for the wrasse issue, if you set up a small refugium, you can usually keep the pod population at a pretty good size. I've seen many wrasses go either way; in some cases, they'll decimate everything that size, and in others they just don't touch anything at all. Unfortunately, that makes it tougher to guess.

Dave

MDreefer
02/20/2002, 04:40 PM
Wolverine, I'll have to look at all options of fish before making the choice as i said earlier. But i want the cardinals and the wrasse, I do think that refuge should feed the main tanks population. But I'll keep all posted