PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of adding a sump

Colin
02/19/2002, 08:26 AM
Hi folks,

My 55 is currently sumpless, with a Remora HOB skimmer. After battling some brown slimy stuff for months now, I think I need more sand/LR/macro algae to balance my fish load. However, I don't want to add it to the main tank (I like the more open look). Maybe I should add a sump?

Problem is, I don't know the first thing about sumps. I know they involve an overflow box, a tank of some sort, and a return pump. :D I don't know anything about sizing. Any suggestions?

My tank footprint is 36x19, and I'd like to have some room left in the stand. I'd also like to be able to light this thing cheaply. The tank is in the living room so neatness/quietness counts. :D

Any ideas?

--Colin

Don Davis
02/19/2002, 09:59 AM
Hello Colin, here's a page with a lot of info on sumps. (http://www.vatoelvis.com/Plumbing.html)

That footprint may be a little tough to work with. You will want to use the largest size you can get under your tank and still have the extra room you want. I would recommend trying to use the most out of the 19" of depth. Unfortunately, the smallest standard tank with 18" depth is a 30 breeder, but it is 36"long, that won't leave ANY room under your stand. Your best bet might be to have an acrylic box made for you. Call Regal Plastics and some of the other plastic shops in town and see what they will charge for a box the size you want. You can add any baffles and or bulkheads yourself pretty easily.

You might also consider a behide the tank refugium from CPR. I believe Premium Aquatics sells them.

Don

Kyle McClain
02/19/2002, 11:50 AM
Colin is your tank a 55 tall ? most 55's are 48" long

Colin
02/19/2002, 07:34 PM
I had forgotten about those behind the tank jobbers. That might be the way to go. I'm a little worried about the weight hanging off the back of my tank though. I think I'll ask for some opinions in the main message board.

Kyle, my tank is 36x19x20.

--Colin

Don Davis
02/20/2002, 08:58 PM
I think your tank could easily support a hang-on skimmer, refug, and more. Glass is pretty strong, and the top trim makes it even stronger. I have seen tanks with 2 power filters and a skimmer hanging with no problems. You could always build some sort of support to sit behind the tank and take the bulk of the weight. A simple box frame made out of 2x4's going from the floor to the height of the refug would work great and not be too intrusive looking.

Don