PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia control with NaOH

mgk65
02/18/2002, 08:15 PM
from BReefCase on RC:

http://www.reefs.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=034063

Randy, what do you think of this method?

Sounds pretty cool to me!

mgk

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/19/2002, 08:10 AM
mgk:

If it works, and your careful about how you use it, it sounds like a fine method. I posted some comments there about the chemistry involved.

In the past, I've successfully used the alkalinity component of B-ionic with success.

As I pointed out in my last post there, I don't believe his "heat of dilution" theory. If there is much heat involved, it is heat of neutralization of the hydroxide.

Mutagen
02/19/2002, 01:58 PM
Randy,

I agree with you on the heat of dilution issue. There is a large heat of solution going from solid to dissolved though. I guess I should post some of my experinces more often. I used this exact procedure about two years ago and also with success. But my aiptasia always want to grow directly inside colonies of zoanthids making it very difficult to prevent collateral damage. For what its worth, I used the solid Drano to get the NaOH and although I made no attempt to control the solution concentration, I'm sure it was stronger than 2 N. Buying lab grade NaOH solution never even occured to me.

Also agree with you that the precipitate is likely Mg(OH)2. One can get the same effect by using Na2CO3, which I have also used on aiptasia. Of course, bringing in the additional CO3-2 increases the chances of CaCO3 precipitation, compared to using NaOH. (Well, actually, given the equilibrium reactions of the carbonate species, and the high local pH spike, maybe not). I've never attempted to measure the over all pH effects when killing the beasts either.

Mutagen