PDA

View Full Version : Finally Sponge Free

ronkent
08/16/2005, 06:35 PM
SO i finally figured out how i could run totally sponge free on my particular system. I have had 2 of them for quite some time and couldnt figure out how to get rid of them. One was in my overflow, albeit a small sponge it is still a problem, for noise control as water was going down to the sump. For this i made a modified standpipe i believe is what it is and attached it. Wallah! Down to 1 sponge......the doosey. This particular sponge was gonna be a pain to figure out to get rid of. I have a Coralife Supperskimmer 125 and it has a bubble diffuser on the output. Basically the output hose goes into a box with a gigantic sponge! Now why it was made this way i will never know as coralife im sure has to know that sponges are nitrate factories. So here i sat tonite trying to figure it out. I cant put the skimmer in my sump because its not baffeled. So i thought and thought and thought....wait! I could try and route the output of the skimmer to the overflow! So i started moving stuff around and finally got it over by the overflow. It worked! I don't think ive ever been so happy before. Now maybe i can get my nitrates down as the had actually been rising since i got this skimmer and im sure its from the bubble diffuser's sponge. The skimmer works great(much better than the seaclone before it). Now maybe ill get some pics of my tank up on here as i think im actually gonna be happier with it now.

Ron

P.S. Btw sticky you may never get that filter back from me :p After moving everything around i now have room for it on the backside where the skimmer was so i may just have to pay ya for it :smokin:

08/16/2005, 10:09 PM
No problem....I am sure we can work something out.

sarduci
08/17/2005, 05:06 PM
Congrats on getting rid of the sponges!

ronkent
08/17/2005, 06:04 PM
I know it's probly too early to tell but i came home from work today and the reef looked so much better. Maybe it's all in my mind.:lol: