PDA

View Full Version : Done trying to find equipment locally.

rick051074
08/16/2005, 02:00 PM
What is it with some of our LFS's. I understand having to markup product believe me but a +50% markup is a FRICKIN JOKE.

I am looking for a UV sterilizer. I called a place I will leave unnamed and they wanted $269.00 for the same thing I can get anywhere online for $125.00. *** I hope they dont wonder why things dont sell. I would be willing to pay $150 maybe even $175 to get it local, and right away. No way I will pay more than double the cost of an item.

Rick

CH
08/16/2005, 02:09 PM
I agree. I love to support the local stores, but when I can get the same thing at Marine Depot for half the price, even with shipping, it's just ridiculus. I won't buy that kind of stuff locally anymore, unless they can at least closely match the price.
I asked at Reeftectonics once if they would match an online price. He said sure, but you can't pick it up for two weeks! I thought that was funny!

rick051074
08/16/2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by CH
I agree. I love to support the local stores, but when I can get the same thing at Marine Depot for half the price, even with shipping, it's just ridiculus. I won't buy that kind of stuff locally anymore, unless they can at least closely match the price.
I asked at REEFTECTONICS once if they would match an online price. He said sure, but you can't pick it up for two weeks! I thought that was funny!

And where are they now?

CH
08/16/2005, 02:30 PM
Exactly!!!!!
They were definately one of the highest priced places.
Another example - $20 or so for a 50gal bag of Instant Ocean.
I go to Petsmart's website, print off the page that has $9.99 for a 50gal bag, and take it in to the store and buy it there. Nobody else in town can even come close.

rick051074
08/16/2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by CH
Exactly!!!!!
They were definately one of the highest priced places.
Another example - $20 or so for a 50gal bag of Instant Ocean.
I go to Petsmart's website, print off the page that has $9.99 for a 50gal bag, and take it in to the store and buy it there. Nobody else in town can even come close.

Yup just picked up a 160gal Bucket of IO for $31.99 at Petsmart. Its horrable how they try to take advantage of customers that dont check the website pricing.

tom obrecht
08/16/2005, 05:26 PM
Rick...I have a UV steriler I don't use anymore that I would be willing to sell you. It's 57 watt and just replaced the bulb...with wiper. Maybe we can deal? PM me if interested

rick051074
08/16/2005, 07:19 PM
Hahaha man i few hours sooner.

kau_cinta_ku
08/16/2005, 11:32 PM
i know how you all feel i was looking for a mag 9.5 around the LFS and the cheapest i found was 115.00 (ouch) where as doctors foster & smith only want 62.89 on sale but still alot cheaper

Freed
08/16/2005, 11:45 PM
My nearest LFS is whichever has the stuff the cheapest on line, even though the fish stores nearby claim to have the best deals of anywhere.

pcpets
08/20/2005, 11:55 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to Marketing & Finance 101. We, as consumers, really do understand your frustration with the vast differences in prices for the same or similar items between retail stores (big and small) and catalog and on-line sales. No one appreciates buying something and then discovering later that they could have gotten it for less somewhere else. It happens in ALL retail industries because of several factors.

You may be aware that we do not really teach a class in consumerism but we do own a small local pet store and we also purchase items from other retail stores and even on-line. The large stores (Petsmart, Petco, Wal-mart) are able to buy products directly from the manufacturers in huge quantities and so they get huge discounts from the manufacturers which allows them to price their products at 50% over what they pay (this is a standard markup for ALL retail stores) and still be competitive with on-line and catalog stores who have other ways of 'gaming the system' in order to sell products to you and still make a profit.

Small stores must purchase products through distributors who purchase the products from the manufacturers. Each one must make a profit. We're sure you understand that in order to remain in business, the business must bring in more money than they spend.

If we buy a widget from our supplier, it goes like this:

Manufacturer produces it for $1.00
Sells it to supplier/distributor for $1.50 ( 50% mark up)
Supplier sells it to us for $2.25 (also a 50% mark up)
We have to sell it for at least $3.38 in order to make a profit so that we can buy more products to sell.

Now, try this with your $125 sterilizer. It may only cost Petsmart and the online stores $125 but our supplier sells it to us for at least $187.50 and we have to sell it for $280 or we won't be able to stay in business.

Want to know the bottom line? If you can get something cheaper somewhere else, then buy it there. If you want to see what you're getting and talk with knowledgeable staff who can help you be sure you are buying the right item and who will be there to help you after you buy it....come see us.

We will always try to be competitive and keep our prices as low as possible. We appreciate knowing when something we sell is much more expensive than other stores but we won't always be able to match their price. We will always provide better service before, during an after the sale.

We do want you to be a satisfied customer so please bring in your $9.99 coupon for salt and we'll honor it. While you're here, maybe we can talk some more and you'll find we have some things that just can't be bought anywhere else.

Thanks for keeping us informed and please let us know if you have any more questions.

P.S. You really ought to stop by just to see the new Mayan ruin that houses our reptile display. It is so cool!!

rick051074
08/20/2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by pcpets

Now, try this with your $125 sterilizer. It may only cost Petsmart and the online stores $125 but our supplier sells it to us for at least $187.50 and we have to sell it for $280 or we won't be able to stay in business.

This too me is a crock. My would you EVER buy something from a distributor for $187.50 when YOU could buy it online for $125 then add your markup. If that is the truth then your business sense is flawed.

CH
08/20/2005, 01:31 PM
Yeah, i agree. I understand stuff has to be marked up and all of that, and I don't have a problem with it, because that's business. Heck, where I work, I get billed out at 3 times my actual wage, which covers admin, marketing, etc.

But what doesn't make sense is how can an online place have things for half the price? They have to buy from the same distributer at the same or similar price, don't they?

If you match that salt price that's great, except it's a bit of a drive for me. I do remember coming in there when you first opened and the 50 gal bag was close to $30, which was a lot higher than most. Maybe it is different now though.

rick051074
08/20/2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by CH
Yeah, i agree. I understand stuff has to be marked up and all of that, and I don't have a problem with it, because that's business. Heck, where I work, I get billed out at 3 times my actual wage, which covers admin, marketing, etc.

But what doesn't make sense is how can an online place have things for half the price? They have to buy from the same distributer at the same or similar price, don't they?

If you match that salt price that's great, except it's a bit of a drive for me. I do remember coming in there when you first opened and the 50 gal bag was close to $30, which was a lot higher than most. Maybe it is different now though.

Yes and no. They MAY have to buy from a distributor or thay may be able to buy from the manufacturer, which is likely the case. This means that they will get a price break dependant on quantity. However the price difference is not that much (usually). I also have no problems with markup, I understand why they have to be there. But I also understand that there is a reasonable amount a customer is will to pay for "customer service" and +50% cost is not it. I do wish all LFS's luck. I would hate to see them go away. I will continue to buy certain things from them and not buy others. I mean no harm in my statements and you will run the business the way you see fit and I understand it.

pcpets
08/20/2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks for your comments. We realize it was a long answer and the fact that you bothered to read the whole thing tells us you are at least interested in our efforts to meet your needs.

Unfortunately, we are not able to purchase items online and then sell them to customers. The manufacturers do sell directly to those online businesses but won't sell directly to us because we are a store - believe me, we tried. They force us to go through their "authorized distributors" and pay the mark up. The 50% markup is a standard markup for any retail business - check it out and you'll find we're right. Some retail businesses mark up 100% or more by the time you, as the consumer, try to buy their product for yourself.

Currently our 50 gal bag of instant ocean is at $21.99. If you bring in the Petsmart coupon, we'll sell it to you at a loss in an effort to keep your business.

Our goal is not to sell the cheapest products. It is to sell the best quality products at reasonable prices and provide the best customer service for every customer.

We do want to know if you find something we sell is much more expensive than other small pet stores or even Petsmart. We will make every effort to match their prices without taking a loss.

Thanks again for your interest.

rick051074
08/20/2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by pcpets
Thanks for your comments. We realize it was a long answer and the fact that you bothered to read the whole thing tells us you are at least interested in our efforts to meet your needs.

Unfortunately, we are not able to purchase items online and then sell them to customers. The manufacturers do sell directly to those online businesses but won't sell directly to us because we are a store - believe me, we tried. They force us to go through their "authorized distributors" and pay the mark up. The 50% markup is a standard markup for any retail business - check it out and you'll find we're right. Some retail businesses mark up 100% or more by the time you, as the consumer, try to buy their product for yourself.

Currently our 50 gal bag of instant ocean is at $21.99. If you bring in the Petsmart coupon, we'll sell it to you at a loss in an effort to keep your business.

Our goal is not to sell the cheapest products. It is to sell the best quality products at reasonable prices and provide the best customer service for every customer.

We do want to know if you find something we sell is much more expensive than other small pet stores or even Petsmart. We will make every effort to match their prices without taking a loss.

Thanks again for your interest.

I will only make a couple of points.

1) I see no reason why an online company would not sell to anyone. It seems to me they would consider a sale a sale and the more the better.

2) There is no standard markup for all retail businesses. This may be true for the aquarium trade but in my business field we dont have the luxury to markup our product 50%. We would be gone in a week.

3) Dont take this personal but selling a $125 item for $269.00 is not reasonable. IMO

4) I do thank you for your efforts in relation to the salt.

Rick

kau_cinta_ku
08/20/2005, 08:15 PM

heck if your willing to work with coustomers well that is great it will help keep ppl comming in. if i had a LFS around here that would do the match price thing it would be great or even if they come close to them. i was in omaha today and picked up the 160 gal salt mix for 31.99 thank god i had the coupon or it was 45.99 but it is nice to hear that you are willing to work with the ppl in order to keep their business. but i do have to agree when you find things for double the price at a LFS then you can get online including shipping i would have to go with the online deal unless i was really desprate

Willie41
08/21/2005, 06:58 AM
Listen guys I have been on both sides of the coin. Like PCP said a small business does not get the same price break as does your Walmarts, Petco or Petsmart. They can buy in larger quanities, hence cheaper prices to you the consumer. These "LARGE" companies are why your mom and pop stores are out of business and you do not get the "care" after the sale. I prefer buying from a local company or store because they do "care" about the customer. The help and advice your locals give is priceless.

pcpets
08/21/2005, 10:47 AM
Thank you! And now onward & upward. we have alot of new fish in this week. some really cool wrasses, stingrays, upside down jellyfish, trumpetfish, mangrove pods, shaving brush algae. stop in and check it out.

Willie41
08/21/2005, 01:13 PM
The place is looking great. You all are bringing in more things all the time, you can't build a business in one day. Keep up the good work. I for one will always keep coming back.