PDA

View Full Version : What Are the Ideal Parameters for Your Water?

OscarBeast
02/18/2002, 03:30 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering what are the ideal parameters for your water? I use Instant Ocean and I have noticed that the pH is a little low. Around 8ish +. I only keep my SP around 1.0215. I was thinking that if I increased my SG to around 1.023 or so that it would also increase my other elements present in Instant Ocean and also increase my pH up to a more desirable 8.1 or 8.2? Is this a good idea? Will it work?

Right now my SG is about 1.0215, temp. is about 76, and my pH is about 8.0. What parameters do you guys keep your water at? I have heard so many variations of what parameters people keep their water at that it is making my head spin.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

DrkShadow
02/18/2002, 05:29 PM
Here's my basic specs

SG 1.026, Temp 81-82, Nitrates/Nitrites at 0 (yeah! Finally)! and PH at 8.2.

I'd say bring up your salinity. Yea I jsut recently got my tank setup (2 months now) and yes there is no 2 people running their tanks exactly the same. Makes it a tad confusing. I also use RO/DI water for evap replacement.

Don Davis
02/18/2002, 07:05 PM
Not going to be much help on this topic, but here it goes.

The only parameter I know on my tank is temp, and that's only because I have a digital thermomater that's easy to see all the time. Temp runs between 78-82. I haven't tested any water parameters in 2 years or done any water changes in almost a year. The only thing I add is food, kalk, and RO/DI water for top-off.

When I was monitoring my parameters I aimed for 1.025-1.026 SG, ph somewhere in the 8's, and calcium around 450. I don't even know what alk is supposed to be.

The one thing I did notice, the more I tried to get my parameters in line, the more they fluctuated. I am a beliver in the hands off approach now.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Don