PDA

View Full Version : New Sump

Dubbin1
08/15/2005, 10:53 AM
Well I got the new sump up and running yesterday. I still need to redo the plumbing but it will work for now. While I was at Gary's yesterday I thought I would try out one of those Pro Clear Aquatic skimmers that he sells. I must say for the price it works very well. It started pulling the nasty crap out almost immediately.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dubbin1/newsump.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dubbin1/skimmer.jpg

Oh and I'm on my 5th day of quitting smoking :smokin: Wish me lots of luck because it is not an easy thing to to :mad2:

Andrew
08/15/2005, 11:03 AM
How much did Gary want for the Aquatic skimmers?

Dubbin1
08/15/2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Evanish
How much did Gary want for the Aquatic skimmers?
$149 for the 150g skimmer. Comes with a CAP-1800 pump. All you need is a container for the crap to drain into.

selgado
08/15/2005, 01:22 PM
Nice sump. Did you make that yourself? Good luck on the smoking.

Dubbin1
08/15/2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by selgado
Nice sump. Did you make that yourself? Good luck on the smoking.

Yes I made it out of a 40L and thanks for the good luck.

bigbenji
08/16/2005, 01:47 AM
Buy a lot of sugarless gum, you can chew it all day without hurting your jaw. It worked for my mother-in-law.

hllywd
08/18/2005, 09:54 PM
WOW!!! that thing looks like it's working a lot better than my Berlin...

hllywd
08/18/2005, 09:55 PM
And good luck quitting...

Dubbin1
08/18/2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by hllywd
And good luck quitting...
Well its been over a week now smoke free :bounce2:

broden
08/19/2005, 08:20 PM
Congrats,I quit 8 yrs ago the first few weeks were the worst after that it was apiece of cake goodluck!!

Bill

Mike_McBrien
08/20/2005, 05:24 PM
lookin nice man, grat on quitting the nasty habit

ohioreef
08/20/2005, 06:50 PM
Just think how much more money you'll have for reef stuff!!!

ScooterGuitar
08/20/2005, 10:09 PM
I remember when my sumps looked that nice and clean!
Dubb, why quit smoking..It makes you look cool!

Dubbin1
08/20/2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by ScooterGuitar

Dubb, why quit smoking..It makes you look cool!
LOL you're absolutely right, I should start smoking again :) NOT!!!

Dubbin1
09/14/2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Dubbin1

Oh and I'm on my 5th day of quitting smoking :smokin: Wish me lots of luck because it is not an easy thing to to :mad2:

5 weeks :smokin: oops I mean :cool:

selgado
09/15/2005, 12:44 PM
Dude how do you do the bar thing?

Dubbin1
09/15/2005, 03:42 PM
Dude how do you do the bar thing?
Bar thing? If you mean drinking I really don't. The last drink I had was after our first meeting and that was the first drink in like 5 years.

ScooterGuitar
09/15/2005, 05:14 PM
So NORA is gonan make you a drinker? If that's the case, you should look for tri-weekly meetings!

bigdaddyadam
09/22/2005, 08:16 PM
hey dwayne,
are the baffles in your new sump acrylic? and if so how did you bond them to the glass tank, I have been told that silicon will not bone to acrylic and I need a way to bond my new acrylic baffles into the glass tank that is my sump.

Dubbin1
09/22/2005, 09:27 PM
I made the baffles out of glass and thats what you will need to do. You can get glass at Lowes cut to your dimensions at a pretty low price. I know I can't remember how much I paid but I know it was less then $20.

bigdaddyadam
09/22/2005, 09:35 PM
crap, I already had a guy at a glass place cut me some out of some kind of plexiglass, but it is a different kind than the normal stuff, he said it was stronger and more durable, so maybe it will be a kind that will bond, I hope so I already had him cut the ridging into it so it would flow over it.

Dubbin1
09/22/2005, 09:45 PM
Adam don't even bother trying it. The silicon will not bond to the plastic. If you are going to do it then do it right the first time and buy glass.

selgado
09/22/2005, 09:48 PM
Over time the weight of the water will push against the acrylic and peel the silcone away from it. And what ever you do, don't try to wedge the acrylic between the glass sides thinking that will help hold it. That will shatter the glass like a Barbara Streisand concert.

bigdaddyadam
09/22/2005, 10:35 PM
well, I haven't picked the stuff up yet, but I am not even sure what he was making it out of for me, I believe he said it was a type of polycarbonate material, so I will ask the guy if it is something that silicone will bond to, god I hope so. I had him do all the cutting and it will probably be about $30 or so. I can't be a jerk and just say, no I don't want it now. I guess I can see if he can cut glass in the same pattern but I don't know if he will be able to do the overflow ridges in glass or not. I wish I would have read closer the first time and I would have saved myself some money.

Dubbin1
09/22/2005, 10:42 PM
Adam if it is a type of plastic then the silicon WILL NOT bond to it. Even if you do try it and think that it is sticking you will be wrong. In a short amount of time it WILL come apart. Now stop thinking about it and just plan on getting glass.

hllywd
09/22/2005, 11:03 PM
Voice of experience here... you know, been there, done that....
found out it doesn't work.
Since it's already cut maybe you could have some thicker glass cut in 1/2"x 1/2" or 3/8" strips and seal them in to make a slot to retain the poly carb, then seal the poly carb into the slot with more silicon. Just a thought, I don't know if you can get glass cut in strips like I have in mind...:cool:

bigdaddyadam
09/22/2005, 11:08 PM
sounds like wasted some money on some plastic

so just out of curiousisty then, how on earth did you get the overflow ridges cut into your glass baffles?

bigdaddyadam
09/22/2005, 11:15 PM
did I mention this whole thing has left me feeling pretty dumb? I guess I really does pay to really research things like this better.

Dubbin1
09/22/2005, 11:30 PM
No need to feel dumb. I cut the slots in mine with a dremel and a diamond cutting wheel.

bigdaddyadam
09/22/2005, 11:38 PM
I am wondering if the slots are even really neccisary at this point, the more I think about it they are on in tank overflows to protect the fish from going over the edge into the overflow, but I don't ever intend on having fish in my refugium

Dubbin1
09/23/2005, 12:23 AM
They will help keep the macro algae in the fug.

jenghes
09/23/2005, 07:13 AM
Lowe's will cut glass any way that you want it, if you buy the glass there. Careful with the edges of the glass as they will be sharp. After I finished my fuge, I glued plastic ceramic tile edging to the top edge of the glass so I did not cut myself while working on the tank.

tinysuperbug
09/24/2005, 01:38 AM
Hey all, been lurkin' for quite some time, and not to Hijack this thread, but I was wondering if you had a picture of those slots you cut in your glass, Dubbin. I'm looking at making a glass overflow, and would love to see how yours turned out!

Dubbin1
09/24/2005, 07:34 AM
Well it was the first time I cut glass so they are a little crooked but I guess that really don't matter. Just be sure not to try and make the slots to small or the tabs will start breaking off.

Oh and
[welcome]

selgado
09/24/2005, 12:02 PM
I'm building a 10 gallon refugium/sump for a 10 gallon nano reef and the teeth on that first baffle is a major sticking point. I don't want to deal with cutting the glass for all those teeth. So what I am going to attempt is taking a small piece of acrylic and cut teeth in that, then drill holes in it and matching holes in the top of the first glass baffle. I plan to use nylon screws, nuts and washers to mount the acrylic to the glass.

Dubbin1
09/24/2005, 08:49 PM
I don't want to deal with cutting the glass for all those teeth.
You big sissy http://smilies.mdsalih.com/movingtongue.gif

hllywd
09/25/2005, 06:40 AM
That idea sounds like it would work John. That could be another solution for Adam. Use the silicone as a sealer/gasket material rather than an adhesive.

selgado
09/25/2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Dubbin1
You big sissy http://smilies.mdsalih.com/movingtongue.gif

Man I tell you no respect for innovation. See if I let you in on any of my top secret projects again. When you are in a saltwater store one day an you see a glass baffle acrylic teeth conversion kit on the market and I send a check to all the people who helped me innovate, don't wait by the mail box. :mad:

Originally posted by hllywd
That idea sounds like it would work John. That could be another solution for Adam. Use the silicone as a sealer/gasket material rather than an adhesive.

Now I just have to get off my duff and do it.

tinysuperbug
09/25/2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks Dubbin!

Another way to do it without drilling holes would be like so.
(never tried it though)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/585/17933slots.gif

bond the acrylic to itself, then to the glass. this way uses a little more acrylic though.

Dubbin1
09/25/2005, 09:18 PM
Both you and John have a couple of great ideas.

selgado
09/26/2005, 10:37 PM
You do know I was kidding, right?:confused:

Mike_McBrien
09/26/2005, 11:14 PM
My opinon is why even cut teath at all, my sump does nto have anyteeth and workd great.

bigdaddyadam
09/27/2005, 01:30 AM
turned out the idiot I had cut the polycarbonate did not cut it to the right dimensions and so it did not fit in anyway. waste of $42, and you'd think someone at a glass shop could measure well enough that 11 13/16" would not turn out to be over 12 ". idiot! well anyway, so I went to lowe's and spent the $9 to get them to cut me glass sheets. I did not bother doing a bubble trap because I could not get the middle baffle to stay up, and I was afraid that what ever I put under it would be stuck once the silicon dried, so I just have two baffles to seperate the 3 compartments, each one is two sheets of single strenght window glass right next to each other, I figured this would make up for the fact that it looked really thin.

I did not bother putting teeth on the refugium baffle because the flow through it will not be all that strong and I am planning on wedging the macro in bewteen rocks until it takes hold, so we will see.

selgado, another way you could do you teethed baffle would be to basically sandwich it between two sheets of glass that come right up to where the teeth start. silicon would hold the glass sheets in and the plexi or whatever you use for the teethed baffle would just rest in between, you could even remove it if neccissary. just an idea because that whole bolting stuff to glass seems a little tricky to me.

bigdaddyadam
09/27/2005, 01:33 AM
oh, and thanks for all the help everyone, I can't imagine how people could succeed in this hobby before the age of the internet.

hllywd
09/27/2005, 09:17 AM
You should still be able to use the poly-carb material, in fact it's better that it's too big than too small you can aways cut it down. Certainly don't pitch it you may find a use down the road for another project. I agree 3/16 off what you ordered is a big difference, what did the guy say about that?

bigdaddyadam
09/28/2005, 12:39 AM
he didn't say anything, because I did not bother to measure them until I got them home, I just assumed a pro would have cut them to the right measurements.

bigdaddyadam
09/28/2005, 12:40 AM
I still might take them back and have him fix them so I can get one more piece of glass and follow my own advise to selgado to fix up my baffles.