PDA

View Full Version : Do you sell Xenia to your LFS?

RWD
04/22/2000, 11:22 PM
Snailman,
I also have way to much xenia! I have heard of xenia being mentioned for a filter but havent found any info on it.Where did you hear about it? I'm curious because I have a ton of it.Thanks,Bob

------------------
Visit my new web page: http://bobsreefermadness.homestead.com/index.html

wayne
04/23/2000, 08:19 AM
I have some silver tip Xenia that the owner of my LFS said he would be glad to purchase cuttings from.

How much is a fair price for s, m, l?

Of course this would be for store credit, I just want to make sure I don't get taken advantage of.

Thanks

TimS
04/23/2000, 09:07 AM
Yes, I do. $10/rock. My pieces are usually pretty large stalks, but the price is the same regardless of the size.

TimS

hcs3
04/23/2000, 09:10 AM
$8 per stalk. mines' not attched to any rock. that's the way to do it if you have a choice. i simply tear it off my rock, and hand it directly to my LFS's. it's as good as free money.

of course, that is tree xenia. silver tip should be worth considerably more since it is more rare.

HTH

henry

Snailman
04/23/2000, 09:55 AM
We sell Xenia to our LFS and anybody else that we can find. We have it running out of our rear ends. :D We put it on a very small piece of rock and get $10 for it. I talked to the LFS in the town where I work on Friday about buying some and he was interested also. :) I have read about people making an Xenia filter and soon we will have enough frags to populate our 150 gallon sump if we don't find a home for them soon.

SkiDog
04/23/2000, 12:46 PM
I trade them, four Xenia for one gallon of DT's. FWIW LFS turns around and sells each one for $ 25 to $ 35 each, based on size.
Later
Mark

hesaias
04/23/2000, 01:04 PM
I got $15 for my first 2 stalks, about 4-6" high. Another LFS told me they give $5.
Xenia for a filter! Woah, where?

------------------
hesaias

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

enutees
04/23/2000, 02:45 PM
I was told that Xenia can be used as a filter just like Caulerpa. It grows, thereby taking up nutrients in the water, and then it is exported by making cutting.

Not sure if this actually works just what I've heard.

Also, I get $10 a pop for Xenia on small piece of rock.

Zmann
04/23/2000, 04:11 PM
I get $30.00 per piece attached to rock, but that is for the Red Sea variety.

Biosystems
04/23/2000, 07:51 PM
The xenia filter is described at GARF. I would place skepticism in their claims, but the information is described here for your review:
http://www.garf.org/28/xenia/xiniabed.html

Tim

RWD
04/23/2000, 08:05 PM
Tim,
Thanks for the link. Not much info about exactly what the xenia exports.I plan on putting some xenia in the refugium of my new tank once it's set up.I guess it can't hurt.Bob

------------------
Visit my new web page: http://bobsreefermadness.homestead.com/index.html

Biosystems
04/23/2000, 08:41 PM
Bob:

Garf does this alot.....Make claims that are not supported. They have this filter that says it does well at keeping an SPS tank doing great. But they also have put it on an established SPS tank with conditions that favored it working prior to its addition.

While it is true that xenia do uptake certain compounds fromt he water column (I wish I had the articles that I had researched on this on hand-but they are currently smoked and in a far away storage shed) To export these elements as Garf claims they would need to be pruned/harvested-much like plant life in aquaria. Your idea of putting it into a refugium sure wont hurt-at worst you'll be able to prop xenia to export to fellow reefers.

Tim

wayne
04/23/2000, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all of your input. The threads about using xenia as an export agent are new to me. Thanks for bringing them up.

Wayne

FishGeeek
04/24/2000, 02:17 PM
Do I ever. 2 to 5 pieces a month. I get 20 bucks in store credit for a medium piece. That is how I buy all my chemicals and test kits. I sold them a rock last month with 7 stalks on it. I got 125.00 in store credit! It got sucked into a powerhead that night at the store. The LFS and I were pretty bummed out.

HTH
Brian

TimS
04/29/2000, 02:35 PM
This morning I made my best Xenia trade. A large hunk on a rock to Agu who drove from Northfield, MN and helped me move furniture.

Thanks Agu.

58REEF
10/11/2001, 10:43 PM
Where could I find pictures of the various types of xenia? I recently got gouged by the LFS - $40 for a piece with about 4 stalks apprx. 4 in wide. I hate paying retail.

58REEF
10/12/2001, 10:29 PM
anyone?

MtnDewMan
10/12/2001, 10:44 PM
I have a LFS around here that will take xenia as well as acro frags for store credit. I get 25% of the selling price. Unfortunately they want the stuff mounted, would be nice if they took the stuff (like the acro frags) unmounted.

cwa46
10/13/2001, 04:51 AM
I get between $10-20 per frag. This is a store credit not cash so its worth about 1/2 cash.
The xenia filter works just like an ATS except instead of scraping algae and throwing it away, you harvest the xenia and sell it or throw it away. Living tissue stores nutrients and trace elements whether it is fish tissue, algae tissue or coral tissue. You could export nutrients by raising and exporting fish.
By the way, I have visited GARF. Most of the people who have a hard time with GARF haven't. Not everything they claim may be true, but they do grow some excellent coral. How that is so bad for the hobby, I don't know. Its a lot better than "Black Powder" when it comes to real value to the hobby.

slojmn
10/13/2001, 06:49 AM
You guys get good mooney/store credit for your xenia. I get about $6/ small frag mounted on rock rubble from my lfs in store credit. They turn around and sell it for about $18-25. I have received $9/medium frag mounted on rock rubble but lately they have been just giving me $6 no matter what. They do give me free rock rubble fromt te bottom of their live rock bin. This is cool. I am happy to be able to get rid of it. Ihave the short pom pom type of xenia. It is free standing on a rock in my tank that is on the sand all by itself so it does not spread to my main structure. I just throw rubble rock all around it and within a week or two, voila, new frags for the lfs.

Frick-n-Frags
10/13/2001, 06:59 AM
WOW? $30 for red sea Xenia? I have to give it away I have so much. I don't like too big of a biomass of one species, especially Xenia, which can crash for reasons unknown to me.
Later this morning I am going to give away a dozen and swap another dozen to the LFS for light bulbs. A post in RC helps get rid of it if you have no other outlet. Free gets everyone's attention.

But, I ran my reef for a year for free just swapping Xenia for supplies, mostly salt, 6 for a 200 gal bucket of IO.