PDA

View Full Version : How was John Walch?

stevenc64
02/17/2002, 10:17 PM
Hi All
Thanks for all the good wishes. The family is doing well:bum:
How was the presentation? How many people showed up? How many from RMRC?
Thanks,
Daddy Steve

BiGBOi
02/18/2002, 01:47 AM
I disagreed with some of the things he had to say. I personally was a little dissapointed in his presentation. That is just my opinion though. I liked how he said that you could not overdose your tank with iodine. Yeah right. Oh well, what did everyone else think?

Jerry Gonzales
02/18/2002, 10:39 AM
I liked his presentation. John gave a laid back interactive speech. He also told us the way to pair up and identify coral banded shrimp.:D Wich happen to be one of my favorites. He answered questions from people for probably 2 hours. We also had a good showing from our club members. I would say about 15 or so of us were there. So how is your baby doing? I hope all is well and exciting for you and your wife. Well see Ya, Jerry:)

cris
02/18/2002, 02:17 PM
Congrats Steve!!

Sorry you missed the presentation. I really had a great time listening to his experiences and where he thinks the hobby will be in the future. I was pleased to hear more of a discussion about his facility, how he got started, and what he is doing now compared to just how to keep an aquarium. He did cover aquariums quite well. Like all of the "godfathers" he had his opinion of what has worked for him. I think with 20+ years of keeping/breeding corals and fish he had some great ideas and i'm sure what he has learned is well researched. It really sounded like he was a big supporter of algae being the main export vehicle for nutrients vs. protein skimming. It made me a little more motivated to start a refugium. I didn't leave until after 5 and would of stayed longer if the hall pass from my wife would not of expired.

Cris

SeaMatt Nematocyt
02/18/2002, 02:30 PM
Yehaw! Coingrats Steve.

The meeting was really great. I just thought it was an honor to meet face to face one of the old school boys. He had a wealth of ideas pertaining to how we as hobbiests are actually the caretakers of the reef and not the destroyers.

Nice shop as well. Never been there before.

wanecek
02/18/2002, 03:08 PM
I liked it. I like an informal presentation that give lots of history, present and hopefully future ways of reef keeping.

He gave me some hope in the aquarium industry. If he or anyone else is able to create these coral farms I really think it will not only help the enviroment, it will help the natives, and we could get some cheap corals.

It makes me wonder though if sometime in the future we won't even need corals from the ocean, because most hobbyists will be able to provide the corals and fish from their own tanks. You would have to agree with how far we have come in just 10 years.

Congrats Steve!

Mike

FishGeeek
02/27/2002, 10:47 AM
I thought it was awesome. He got me all psyched up to set a seahorse tank and go volunteer for www.reefball.org
He talked about everything! I thought is would only be about fish breeding. While that was the focus, he spent plenty of time talking about other areas. Farming, conservation, species tanks, filtration and nutrition. Like Cris my hall pass expired and I had to go, but would have liked to stay longer.

Look at what a geek I am
Brian