PDA

View Full Version : hydrogen sulfide removal

homegrown
02/17/2002, 09:50 PM
I work at a reverse-osmosis water treatment plant, so I have access to water having a T.D.S. of around 20ppm-free of charge. The only problem is that the water is from a deep well and is loaded with hydrogen sulfide. I've tried to de-gas with a home made contraption, but no luck. I have access to a de-ionizer, but I don't know what to use for resin. Any help would be appreciated.

Tderasa
02/18/2002, 01:11 PM
how where you degassing the water? HS- is very reactive and the presence of oxygen should quickly oxidize it to sulfate. (to produce HS- at a pH of 7, the partial pressure of oxygen must be very, very, very small. basically you're in anoxic conditions.) the result is that your water may be high in sulfate ions.

Tderasa
02/18/2002, 01:13 PM
you could remove by precipitating as a metal sulfide and filtering. metal sulfides are very insoluble but you'd have to add a heavy metal. wouldn't try that one with inverts.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/18/2002, 07:28 PM
Personally, I would not use it if it had enough hydrogen sulfide to smell. Even if you could get it all out, it would probably be messy and not worth the effort involved.