PDA

View Full Version : New Member

DanGlock23
02/17/2002, 06:29 PM
Hi All,

My name is Dan and I am a new member of your forum. I have been browsing around for a little while and thought it was time for me to join up.

The only person likely to know me on this forum is Stoli. I took care of his new baby when he was recently born. Hi ya Stoli - how's the little guy doing? Mutual friends of Stoli and I is Dr. Benny Vitullo. (I always wondered what that blue glow was coming from Stoli's house when I would go over to Dr. Vitullo's house : )

Benny has rekindled my love for fish tanking when he and I went to Caribean Forest this weekend. Ouch! The bug has bitten me hard - once again. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about reef keeping and think I am up to the task - at least I will be in about 6 months - I figure - after I have a true appreciation of what is involved and the amount of time that will be necessary. I'm thinking about a 90 gallon tank with a sump and a refugium (separate). Again, I have a lot to read and a lot more to learn before I jump into this.

I hope that I will be able to attend your next meeting and I hope to contribute to this great forum over time. Any words of wisdom would be graciously appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Zmann
02/17/2002, 06:39 PM
Welcome to the club/forum/money pit!!! Good luck with your investment. Look forward to meeting you at the next meeting!

JohnL
02/17/2002, 07:00 PM
Hi Dan,

[welcome]

Gary Majchrzak
02/17/2002, 07:36 PM
WELCOME! The local reefers are an excellent resource!Give us the call!:D

Stoli
02/17/2002, 07:55 PM
Hi Dan. Welcome to the club. Now we just have to convince Benny's wife to let him set up a tank. Anyway, anytime you see that blue glow, feel free to stop by. Baby Gideon goes to sleep pretty late and I'm usually conscious to about 10 p.m. Usually permit visitors until 8pm.

Baby is doing great, largely because of the great care we received courtesy of you, Benny and the rest of the fabulous crew at Parkridge (thought I'd throw in a little plug there for my favorite maternity ward).

Like I said, feel free to stop over. On a related note, I have a 90 with a drilled overflow. Were I to do it again, I'd go bigger. At that size, the difference in cost is moderate to nearly double the size.

Warmest regards.

DanGlock23
02/17/2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I always feel this way just before I lose a whole lot of money - and I have a feeling this is gonna take a lot of it!

Glad to here the little guy is doing fine Stoli - no matter how much you think you are ready for a baby - you are never quite ready...

You may not be aware of this Stoli - but Benny's family and my family go to Cape Cod about the same time every year. We have BIG plans for you when we are gone! I read that it is always helpful to have a good tank-sitter for this hobby : )

dmorel
02/17/2002, 08:36 PM
I can not imagine anyone going into CF and not coming out wanting a tank :)

Welcome. The URS is one of the most pleasent experiences to have come out of this hobby.
Lots of good folks here.

-dm

ReeferMac
02/18/2002, 07:10 AM
Welcome Dan,

I'll second Stoli's Argument for a larger tank. If you haven't ordered it yet, a 120's got 3 times the front-to-back room that a 90 does (well, it's really only a couple inches, but..). I upgraded from a 55 to a 90 a couple years ago, and seeing the room afforded with a 120 (those few inches from front to back of the tank), and the flexibility that it affords you in designing your tank, are well worth the added cost and size.

'Course I'm also pining for a 6-foot tank as well, so... Guess I'll never be happy ;-)

Remember to take over the household finances prior to making any purchases. If your wife ever finds out what this addict... er, I mean hobby costs's you, she'll never let you near the charge cards again.
TRUST ME!

Now hurry up and get your tank going, so we can get some more frags out there!

- Mac

Playfair
02/18/2002, 09:29 AM
Welcome, Dan!

FWIW, 3' front to back would be much more flexible then the 120 dims... We'll have you up to a 300 in no time! ;)

ToddsReef
02/18/2002, 09:38 PM
Dan,
WELCOME! I was thinking...maybe a 450G tank...hmmm.

Actually I wanted to welcome you and say that I would do a 120 over a 90 if I were to do it again with a four foot tank.

Most of all...have fun!
Todd