PDA

View Full Version : Phosguard...bad stuff???

Dakna
02/16/2002, 11:19 AM
I read this in a previous thread...and it concerned me considering I own the stuff. Is this true!!!!?????

"...PhosGaurd is made of Aluminum Sorbate and can leech aluminum into the water which some corals are sensitive to..."

Dakna

rshimek
02/16/2002, 01:22 PM
This is more in the realm of Randy's forum than mine.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/16/2002, 02:02 PM
My understanding is that Phosguard is aluminum oxide that certainly has a hydroxide later on it's surface. I've not heard that there were any organic molecules in it (like sorbic acid) and it would surprise me if there were. Where did that quote come from?

There are many people that criticize aluminum-based products as being harmful, and many blame it on soluble aluminum. I've used Phosguard in my tank in the past without any of the putative negative effects on soft corals, but that doesn't prove it is never a problem.

IMO, if you have a phosphate problem, and already have Phosguard, use it. Be sure to wash it real well in RO/Di water prior to use.. This may well be the problem that people attribute to soluble aluminum: it is loaded with tiny particulates that I wash out but that others may let get into the tank. If you use it, and any soft corals begin to look crappy, I'd suggest stopping.

Muttling
02/16/2002, 03:11 PM
Thanks Randy.

The quote came from me. I have had previous bad experiences with phosgaurd despite rinsing it. (Maybe I didn't rinse it thoroughly enough.)

Later,
Mutt

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2002, 01:37 PM
Mutt:

It certainly could be that in situations different than my own, it might be a problem.